Patience ...

Patience is only needed when you are in a hurry for something to happen. And the pace at which a model goes is dependent on two things, the difficulty of the model itself and the time you have to finish it by. For the hobbyist the second of these is entirely a matter of choice and temperament, but the more you extend the deadline, the less you need patience. Just tell yourself 'it will be finished when it's finished' then patience is not required.

Patience is only needed when you are in a hurry for something to happen. And the pace at which a model goes is dependent on two things, the difficulty of the model itself and the time you have to finish it by. For the hobbyist the second of these is entirely a matter of choice and temperament, but the more you extend the deadline, the less you need patience. Just tell yourself 'it will be finished when it's finished' then patience is not required.
Leo Goolden, an exceptional young shipwright who restores 'Tally Ho' since 4 years:,
is often asked how long it will take him to finish.
Since the start his answer is always "two years".

He explains that way, by the time he actually finishes the project, it will be 2 years early ;)

If you don't already, follow his YouTube channel..it's amazing:

agree 100%. I am never in a hurry when it comes to my ships. If it takes me a couple of years, then it takes me a couple of years. The only problem I have is that I have too many ships and I am running out of room. I may have to 'test' how they float in the water. They have no value as I have already tried to sell a couple. They are just too big.

agree 100%. I am never in a hurry when it comes to my ships. If it takes me a couple of years, then it takes me a couple of years. The only problem I have is that I have too many ships and I am running out of room. I may have to 'test' how they float in the water. They have no value as I have already tried to sell a couple. They are just too big.
I believe their "value" lies in the experience gained, and skills learned, and your satisfaction upon completing them. I couldn't, begin to apply a monetary price to that.

When it was handed out, I was at the front of the line and got stuck holding the door open for everyone else, by the time it was my turn, it was all gone…

during last weekend I was with my model on a meeting with other modelers......

I was introduced to a modeler working on his frigate in 1:48 - he told me, that he is working since 12 years on his model and expect further 15 to 20 years to finish her....... and he is working regular on his model some 10 hours a week........ this is real patience

We are counting no hours only years.......

Back