Palamós Fishing Boat - First Post, first model surely not the last :) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello guys!

this is my first post here and what better way to start than to share the buiding progress of my Palamos fishing boat over the past couple weeks. Or should I say years? Well, I was gifted this set in 2019 and spent around 10 hours doing the internal structure but then life got in between and the boat became dusted and forgotten.

Some weeks ago I finally decided to pick it back up again. And I'm sure everyone of you knows the feeling of picking up unfinished work. It seems to me that there is some kind of a mental barrier? Like - you know a long time ago you know the details of the piece in and out and now it's time to figure everything out again, remember each tiny mistake and continue and finish it.

The log is written in retrospect because I just finished the boat today morning. My build description is intended to get others excited maybe, to possibly provide ideas on how to solve some tricky bits and lastly for me to reflect on my work! It's mostly in pictures and I'll write some words to each of them :)

IMG_4348.jpg

Image 1: Above you can see roughly where I stopped building in 2019. Except that the top part of the image (the bow of the ship) wasn't there yet. Now you might be wondering. What in the world is going on there? And now I remember why I decided to not continue in 2019 ;-) Basically I had massive issues making the upper sidewall. It was obviously a flat piece of wood and I tried all sorts of things to get it in shape. Weting it obviously, bending it with a candle, using very strong glue, fixing it with a vise. But this was only somewhat successful. The bits between the floor and the wall is epoxy by the way. So first what I did is I cut off the stuff that was wrong and added some wood with epoxy (seen in the image)

BUT! When I tried to fit the rail of the ship on top of it, it was just a mess. In the front I was off by around half an inch. So I needed another solution.

IMG_4350.jpg

Image 2: So I just cut the whole thing off again (!!) and in my mind I kept telling myself: patience, calm, take your time. And it worked. Basically I made somewhat of a mold from tape and mixed some plastiform modeling clay and pressed it in there. plastiform is an interesting kind of modeling clay. It's as light as paper, feels like paper, but stable like wood. I let the mixture dry for 2 days and et voila ...

IMG_4402.jpg IMG_4407.jpg

Images 3 and 4: I did a lot of sanding and even carved the little spaces between the planks into the plastiform clay. Worked like a charm and the clay even bonded fairly nicely with the rest of the boat. Not perfect but some epoxy on the backside resolved all my stability concerns :) which won't be visible because of the wooden planks on that side.

I then made myself a nice cup of coffee and actually bated the insides of that clay part with coffee to give it roughly the same color as the wood which is a very bright brown. You can see how it worked in image 5 below. And it actually did work fairly nice! (I'm sorry about the Nutella glas stealing all the attention ;))

IMG_4410.jpg

At this point I was also quite happy with the "gap" between the floor and the front part of the wall where the epoxy is. Sanded and filed quite a bit to get it as good as possible. Also applied some oil wax mixture onto the floor to give it a new fresh look.

At this point I was very happy and I was super excited to continune and finish it. And from then on it actually did only take me around 3 weeks to complete the boat.

...to be continued

Edit: Typos

Last edited:
Bulwark was a nightmare! Mine are a little out of proportion for the boat, so it’s a little bit more oblong along the top of the deck.

I look forward to the continuation of your build!

BMT

Hello Bastian Nice that it goes on. Yes, sometimes you just have to put things aside, at some point you can move on. There's no point in stressing out. But I'm having a hard time with that too. If things don't work out that way or progress is slow, then I'm quickly dissatisfied. I'm looking forward to how it goes.

@BMT Your username sounds strangely familiar! I actually did see your other thread on this forum and I was so relieved that there seems to be another person having problems with the bulwark! :D

@Wolle Thanks! Yes, sometimes it really is necessary to pause things I think.

So here I am posting now the 2nd part of the series. With the main hull structure done I could start adding the first set of planks.

6.jpg

Image 6: The start did go quite well. I wetted each plank throughly, and then lit a candle to bend it into its rough shape. Started to fix it in the mid section and then going outward and cutting off the excess. At this point I was a bit worried about how to fill the narrow gaps that are going to inevitably come up at some point but I just chose to take my time and go step by step.

6b.jpg

Image 7: Symmetry check passed!

6c.jpg

Image 8: Here is how it looks from another angle.

6d.jpg

Image 9: Now I realized that the stern wasn't as symmetrical as I had thought before so I had to apply some more clay to get it as good as possible. This originated from a mistake I made back in 2019. Also filling the gaps between planks appears to work out quite well.

6e.jpg

8.JPG

Image 10 & 11: More planks! More nails. First half almost done.

9.jpg

Image 12: Fast forward. Both halfs done except this tiny gap which was easy to do as well. Also you can see the bow where I applied the clay and added some epoxy on the backside.

With the planks done, I could now move on to checking symmetry and making sure all the nails are properly sunk into the wood. And basically making the surface as clean as possible so I will have a smooth outer surface after applying the sapelli wood planks which follow in the next step.

... to be continued

You struggled through the more difficult aspect of model shipbuilding…the hull planking. And look at the end result..awesome! Well done for your effort! The finish is spot on realistic!

I can totally relate to the second paragraph of the first section of your post! You are SO not alone in this.
I love the Patina and the figures. You have suggested a whole background story with your presentation. The colors give the whole thing an almost surreally unique charm.
Well done! a terrific little work of art! Thumbsup Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star Gold Star
Well worth the time and effort!

Pete:D

Reactions: BMT
You struggled through the more difficult aspect of model shipbuilding…the hull planking. And look at the end result..awesome! Well done for your effort! The finish is spot on realistic!

Thank you! & to the others. BUT... that is not my model! ROTF

As much as I like the finished model from Cork, any chance you could take the pictures down again? Or resize them?

Others seem to get confused that this was from me. I'll post more updates later on.

Thanks!

All good! Thanks to the moderators for resizing the images!

So with the hull planking done, what I did next is I added some white glue on top of the hull to fill all the gaps and once dry I sanded everything to get it nice and smooth. Next was glueing the outer decor plants on top of the hull structure.

10a.jpg

Image 13: First half. Worked my way from top / bottom towards the middle. Really good fun as the wlood was only 0.6 mm and the sapelli wood is giving a really nice color.

10b-jpg.391762
10b.jpg

Image 14: First half done!

11.jpg

Image 15: Made myself some P80 / P180 sanding sponges to get a smooth surface.

13a.jpg13b.jpg

Image 16 & 17: Measuring the width of the keel. Requires precision since the falsekeel since ontop of the lower sapelli planks near the bow and the heck but in between them in the middle of the boat.

14.jpg

Image 18: Planking done!! :D Now more sanding.

14b.jpg

Image 19: Et voila. The hull is done! Also glued the false keel onto it.

Really happy with how things are going. Next is varnishing the hull and we'll take it for a swim test... so stay tuned :cool:

to be continued

Last edited:
@BMT Your username sounds strangely familiar! I actually did see your other thread on this forum and I was so relieved that there seems to be another person having problems with the bulwark! :D

@Wolle Thanks! Yes, sometimes it really is necessary to pause things I think.

So here I am posting now the 2nd part of the series. With the main hull structure done I could start adding the first set of planks.

View attachment 391442

Image 6: The start did go quite well. I wetted each plank throughly, and then lit a candle to bend it into its rough shape. Started to fix it in the mid section and then going outward and cutting off the excess. At this point I was a bit worried about how to fill the narrow gaps that are going to inevitably come up at some point but I just chose to take my time and go step by step.

View attachment 391443

Image 7: Symmetry check passed!

View attachment 391444

Image 8: Here is how it looks from another angle.

View attachment 391445

Image 9: Now I realized that the stern wasn't as symmetrical as I had thought before so I had to apply some more clay to get it as good as possible. This originated from a mistake I made back in 2019. Also filling the gaps between planks appears to work out quite well.

View attachment 391446

View attachment 391447

Image 10 & 11: More planks! More nails. First half almost done.

View attachment 391448

Image 12: Fast forward. Both halfs done except this tiny gap which was easy to do as well. Also you can see the bow where I applied the clay and added some epoxy on the backside.

With the planks done, I could now move on to checking symmetry and making sure all the nails are properly sunk into the wood. And basically making the surface as clean as possible so I will have a smooth outer surface after applying the sapelli wood planks which follow in the next step.

... to be continue
Looks good!

Thanks for the comments :D

This time I'm only posting a small update. But it's a special one. Because little palamós took its first swim :eek:

15a.jpg

Image 20: Late night varnishing session. (no I did not use the turp to varnish the boat :p)

16.jpg

Image 21: Shiny hull. Amazing how much a single layer of varnish can add to the appearance.

And now... on to that swim test. Only later did I find out that one single layer of boat varnish is not nearly enough to properly water seal a boat!! But anyway... It was only a few seconds in the water and it actually did remain completly dry within. This was def. a confidence boost but I will spend some more time in the future to seal the hull of this boat completly.

But either way. It swims and it's got a nice balance!

So happy!

Hello guys!

It's been a few days but today I want to continue the series of my ship build!

18.jpg

Image 22: Added the rudder and the propeller. Tight fit but it works!

19.jpg

Image 23: Now adding the superstructure. Started with the pulley's bridge and the trawling blades...

20.jpg

Image 24: ...followed by the galley and life rings made of metal. A bit cruel if you ask me!

21a.jpg

Image 25: Now onto the cabin.

21b.jpg

Image 26: More cabin & applied some oil wax mixture to make the color of the wood look nice and fresh.

22.jpg

Image 27: All the superstructure done!

And what's left is only the masts and the rigging which looked fairly straightforward.

...to be continued

Question that I have: Are there people on this forum who also install engine & shaft and put their ship/boat into actual water? If so, please let me know because I may have some questions!

Hello guys,

today I'm sharing the final result of my build with you!

22b.jpg

Image 28: Prepared 28 small wooden sticks for the jacob's ladder which I later simply super glued to a string of cord

22c.jpg

Image 29: The ship's mast. Building this was super fun.

23.JPG

Image 30: Final result!

Finishing this project with a happy and a sad eye. Happy because I'm glad to finally have this completed. Sad because the build was A LOT of fun overall.

But I should say that I already planned to install engine shaft and electronics under the deck. The idea is to take this boat for a ride across a local lake which is around 500 meters (1600 feet approx.) Not sure how this idea was born!

Just let me know if you guys care to see the progress on the engine and electronics build. I am happy to share with you! (as I am writing this I have already installed engine, shaft and propeller and did some tests with a battery.

Take care!

Bastian

Back