Painting sailcloth?

Good Morning,
I am currently building my first model ship, the Oseberg from Pavel Nikitin. I want to do some painting on the sailcloth, but all my tests the paint bleeds through to the back side of the cloth. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Also does anybody have any advice as to good quality model paints, I have been very disappointed with the coverage of all I have tried so far. Thank you in advance.
John

Spray the cloth with a matte lacquer, like Testor's Dullcote. Spray can or airbrush. You could probably brush it on too. This should seal the cloth.

I terms of brushable paints I have found that the Vallejo Model Colors (not the ones for airbrushing) are the best for coverage. Dense with pigment.

Spray the cloth with a matte lacquer, like Testor's Dullcote. Spray can or airbrush. You could probably brush it on too. This should seal the cloth.

I terms of brushable paints I have found that the Vallejo Model Colors (not the ones for airbrushing) are the best for coverage. Dense with pigment.
ah,
Thank you I will give that a try.
John

I use basic hobby acrylic paints for my models. These are the stock paints you find in craft stores like Joann’s, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels here in the states. They offer a smooth full coverage and are much cheaper than the paints targeted to model hobbyists. I have a full set of colors and have always been satisfied with the results.

Good Morning,
I am currently building my first model ship, the Oseberg from Pavel Nikitin. I want to do some painting on the sailcloth, but all my tests the paint bleeds through to the back side of the cloth. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Also does anybody have any advice as to good quality model paints, I have been very disappointed with the coverage of all I have tried so far. Thank you in advance.
John
Hallo @Shona
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back