Own up to your modeling maladies!

From the tongue in cheek, to real allergies what are your modeling diseases?

I have allergy problems, I started out fine but after years of exposure to dusts and chemicals I developed more and more things that I react to.

I remember the first evening I spent building the Pearl, later that night I came up in hives and spent a sleepless night itching like crazy. Did not get to the bottom of it and I do not think it was anything in the kit as I have worked with it ever since with no problem. I guess I disturbed something like resin dust in my shed whilst looking for a few tools.

Currently I am suffering from 'Ship Builder's Finger' this is a strange condition where the modeler happily files away the top of their fingers and thumbs while enjoying themselves. :text-lol:

So go on own up, what is your modeling malady?

Serial stashing?

Working into the small hours and then sleeping half the day?

Or something that can seriously affect your health, where you have to take care and we would all do well to take note and look after ourselves?

I cut my right forefinger this morning with a razor blade. Not deep, but initially a bit painful, and sticking plaster kept getting in the way of my dealing with very small parts. Now, 2 hours later, sticking plaster off, and getting back to normal! I developed skin allergies. If I get contact adhesive on my fingers, I have to get it off within half an hour, or it comes up red and itching, and takes about three days to go away! Developed dreadful cough three years, but x-rays, blood tests do not show anything abnormal. It is gradually getting better without any treatment., but I have cut down on model building. Once about 14 a year, now only two or three!. Also got a filter mask that helps, but uncomfortable for long spells.
Bob

I still have my first razor blade scar. I often got the comment from doctors that I had a very neat 'appendix' scar. Thing is I still have my appendix!

8 years old, on holiday in the Lake District. Dad bought me a holiday kit and of course I wanted to get started straightaway. Modeling stuff all at home, found a razor blade to cut the sprue. Slipped, razor blade went right through my nightdress and cut my stomach. It has faded now but the 1 inch scar is still definitely visible 42 years later. :oops: I mostly use single sided razor blades and scalpels to this day, never really got on with modeling knives.

I have a persistent cough, though that might have something to do with smoking 60 cigarettes a day as well as intake of modeling dust.

Back