One of the most important tools are books !

I was posting in another thread and I was thinking that books are one of the most important tools and I rarely see them listed in a beginners tool set. Yes, I know there are other threads on books but I feel they should also be listed in the beginners tools. So, as I said in the other thread, for beginners I would recommend the following: Look into something like "Ship Modeling Simplified" by Mastini or "Historic Ship Models" by Mondfeld and "The Ship Model Builders Assistant" by Davis. These can be great learning tools and can be purchased at a very reasonable price.

I fully agree, that publications are necessary and very helpful

A good overview you can find here with dozems of book reviews

I think the beginners books sections need a reference to planking and one on rigging for beginners, these are two of most asked questions.

I think the beginners books sections need a reference to planking and one on rigging for beginners, these are two of most asked questions.
There is a pretty good section on planking in "Ship Modeling Simplified". However, if you want something more specific on the topic, I would suggest "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders" by Donald Dressel.
I haven't found anything I'm in love with yet on rigging techniques. There are lots of books on how the real ships were rigged, but not much on how best to accomplish it on models.

Last edited:
Back