One of my first boat building ventures!

Model Expo’s Model Shipway catalog is now including a selection of Midwest model kits. I wonder if they bought the rights to build and sell them or what (?)

Thank you for taking the time to display this really nice skiff. I found out that it is a

Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff

I will be adding it to the Gallery today along with others today.

Model Expo’s Model Shipway catalog is now including a selection of Midwest model kits. I wonder if they bought the rights to build and sell them or what (?)
You got it right. Last year we signed a long term agreement with Midwest to manufacture and distribute all their boat kits. So far, we have produced 8 of them and expect to release one each month. We've made them better by substituting balsa with basswood and laser cutting all parts as opposed to stamping them. Fittings are improved as well.

You got it right. Last year we signed a long term agreement with Midwest to manufacture and distribute all their boat kits. So far, we have produced 8 of them and expect to release one each month. We've made them better by substituting balsa with basswood and laser cutting all parts as opposed to stamping them. Fittings are improved as well.
It is actually a great building experience and I enjoyed every moment building it!
My wife asked me to build a simple boat for her for the top of our entertainment system so I let her pick it out! The model has meaning for both of us! ❤️❤️

Beautifully done and very nicely detailed. Love the patina!
Those Midwest kits were very nice and with some skill and imagination could be built into very high quality models, like yours. I'm glad they're back in production with the improvements from Model Shipways.
Your model is really a little work of art and demands attention for its detail, warmth of color, charm and nostalgic appeal.
To quote Chuck Berry " Just because it's simple , don't make it easy!"

Pete

Last edited:
Back