Official SOS Discord server?

I am in the middle of making sawdust at the moment and had the thought, I would really love to be able to chat with other SOS modelers while we are actually working on our models. I have searched and haven't found a discord server for our group, so I am wondering if we can get one going. Would that be something you guys would be interested in?

Greetings from New York! I do not quite understand the purpose of such a server. :cool: What could be the reasons for discussions of the discords, I mean if there is any disagreement of things, then... it could be discussed in the forum or thread you have this discord about. What do you think?

Discord is just a name brand, it is a chat server that allows for text chatting but also voice chat. It has thousands of chat rooms or "servers" that are delineated by topic and group running them. For instance there might be an IPMS group in a certain city, they might have an associated discord server for chatting with each other in a private environment. I would love to take advantage of their voice chat which is just a chat room where you can verbally chat with people, you can even add cameras to see who you are talking to if you like, though it is not required. The chat rooms are always running so anyone can pop in and pop out as they please. Hopefully without any real discord. :D

Here is a link that describes in detail what it is all about. I am familiar with Discord as I signed up with an IT group for Networking. But, I found it (back then), I found the login and interface experience was rather crude. However that was back then. Maybe things with their interface has gotten better.

Personally, I am kind of indifferent about it and I agree that it does sound nice. I and a few others (and perhaps you) are computer power users - in other words, we really know our way around in advanced areas of computing.

However, since this comment is in open forum, I have to use a little judgement for others. I have to take into consideration that there are many here that have a great deal of difficulty just to make a post much less trying to upload one image. Please here me out - I am in NO way being critical - not everyone has the experience and knowledge of computers and some do not even want to learn. Trying to get onto a Discord for them to chat either via text or even VoIP would be an extreme far fetch for them.

Discord is a favorite among gamers and that age group that not only do that most all the time, but you are also within a group of people that use Discord are higher level people such as those that even build their own PC's.

So, even though I think it is nice and a good idea, trying to get folks on here involved would be - well - we would need an Administrator that would need to take charge of that project to educate SOS members. So, rtw, I assume that you have experience with Discord ?

Discord is very easy to use and you by no means have to be a computer wiz to use discord , it very user friendly

There no need for admin , you just get on discord and create a chat room name it what you want and that it one can see who on line . I use it for cpu gaming and it a lot of fun

Hammer, I was more of the line of thinking of having an SOS person that would be willing to help w members get involved and instruct them on how to use it
I will investigate more on Discord in a while.

Thanks to all for sharing this - I will look into it more.

Sorry, I have been on the go all day, yeah I have some limited experience. Can't say I have ever had much use for it until now. This is the kind of group I think discord would actually benefit the most. People who already know of each other and want to have a friendly chat room and do voice chats on the regular. Anyway, I am in the voice channel (room) right now if anyone wants to join and say hi. There is a text chat room where you can just type messages and a voice chat "channel" where if you have a microphone and speakers or a headset you can actually talk to people. You can even use a camera to let people see you, but that isn't required if you are camera shy. Anyway come in and say hi if you are up for it.

I think a Discord chat server would benefit the group build members the most as they can real time chat about their group build of the same model…especially if they are in real actively the same place in their build…

I think it’s a good ideas as assistance by text sometimes is hard to understand and timing of the help is everything

Jim S.

I am in the middle of making sawdust at the moment and had the thought, I would really love to be able to chat with other SOS modelers while we are actually working on our models. I have searched and haven't found a discord server for our group, so I am wondering if we can get one going. Would that be something you guys would be interested in?
There are some (sic!) members who do not live in the U.S., who have a different native language, in a different time zone with different work and living circumstances. Not really a well thought out idea, in my opinion.

Mash,
I understand completely - these are just ideas.

There are some (sic!) members who do not live in the U.S., who have a different native language, in a different time zone with different work and living circumstances. Not really a well thought out idea, in my opinion.
I humbly disagree. As a former gamer I’ve used similar live chat and VoIP (voice chat) services, mainly TeamSpeak, and gamed for many years with community members from all over the world while voice chatting. The servers are open 24/7 and members drop by at all times depending on their schedules and time zones. I’m in Sweden and frequently chatted with people from the US, The Netherlands, Germany, Australia, the UK and many other. It’s a great way to hang out over a shared interest, and complements a community forum in a nice way. You get to know the people behind the avatars and many times people make friends for life this way.

The mechanics of it are very basic; anyone who knows how to use a forum can learn how to use a chat software like Discord. The main obstacle is that you need a decent quality headset based microphone or similar setup. Poor quality microphone inputs can be difficult for people to listen to in the long run. Also, you cannot use speakers, because it will create feedback loops where everyone hear themselves multiplied. In my experience, this is where things might get difficult for members that have less knowledge about computers; how to get proper audio working. But Discord can also be used on phones, where audio setup is already established and proper headsets are often already in use.

The one thing that needs to be emphasized is that it’s advisable to have moderators appointed to on and off monitor the chats. People don’t always get along, and in open chat rooms things might escalate quicker than on forums where people get to think a bit before posting. But in my experience it’s rare that that happens, and the precense of moderators tend to remind people to contribute to a socially healthy environment.

Oh, and hi everyone! This is my first post.

Last edited:
Greetings from New York! I do not quite understand the purpose of such a server. :cool: What could be the reasons for discussions of the discords, I mean if there is any disagreement of things, then... it could be discussed in the forum or thread you have this discord about. What do you think?
REALLY?! Shame on you, Jimsky!

TALK SHOP about ships!

I JUST SET UP a Discord server for Ships of Scale, just to see if I could. Mind you, this is a test bed and needs expanding:

Unofficial Ships of Scale Discord Server

Last edited:
I don't know, last night I got to meet Donnie on there and had a lovely chat about this and that. It was brief but exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. He has raised some realistic concerns about it, namely how to deal with trolls and other stuff, but I think he also saw some advantage to it.

I don't know, last night I got to meet Donnie on there and had a lovely chat about this and that. It was brief but exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. He has raised some realistic concerns about it, namely how to deal with trolls and other stuff, but I think he also saw some advantage to it.
Aye, with a large community such as this one there will be trolls, and there will be occasional arguments. There needs to be moderators appointed that can boot offenders from chat rooms. Starting a Discord server without it wouldn’t be advisable.

Jimsky and I tested the Discord, and it works. Remember, it's only for those members who know each other, or want to meet the others, and want to chat using voice, for anything, mostly about modelling. It is NOT a replacement for this forum in ANY sense.

Aye, with a large community such as this one there will be trolls, and there will be occasional arguments. There needs to be moderators appointed that can boot offenders from chat rooms. Starting a Discord server without it wouldn’t be advisable.
No noted. Before a Discord Admin is appointed, let's just see if the few members who have time to use it are willing to be civil, first. Knowing this crowd, that should not be too difficult. This isn't a Rust Server.

Back