Occre Endurance (1:70) Build Log

This is what I did:

To begin with I applied a layer of Occre varnish. After that I covered the deck with Judea bitumen and wiped it of after about ten seconds. What happens is that the bitumen remains only in the grooves of the wood, so it is not soaked up like when staining. If you want a stronger effect you can repeat, After that you will need another thin layer of varnish to fix the bitumen. Additionally you could of course stain with oak before varnishing, which I did not. A different varnish will give a different result. Do not sand between varnishing and applying the bitumen, because this will give an uneven result.

View attachment 423278
Thanks Mike, another thing to order so I can experiment

Been a couple of weeks since my last post and life has got in the way of progress. However have finally stained my deck with a natural oak furniture colouring ...
klyall_decking_stained_1.jpg
and then coated with beaten de jedea which I immediately rubbed off. This has given the deck a dirty used look which I was aiming for. The image below makes the decks look darker than they really are. To further enhance the worn/used look I also rubbed lightly with 400 grit sandpaper.
klyall_decking_stained_2.jpg
I also had to redo my tree nails with a pencil to darken them.

Due to the slight curve in the hull where the decks are glued I used masking tape. However to prevent the tape damaging my deck I made paper templates so that the tape was not directly on the deck surface.
klyall_decking_stained_3.jpgklyall_decking_stained_4.jpg
klyall_decking_stained_5.jpg

Last edited:
Modification 4: Propellor
There are 2 modifications required. The shape of the propellor opening on a plan on Endurance is more rectangular than the curved opening on the Occre model. In fact on the plan there is a downward angle running from the stern towards the bow.

klyall_propellorshape_2.jpgklyall_propellorshape_3.jpg

As such I have modified the hull accordingly.
klyall_propellorshape_1.jpg

In addition my understanding is the Endurance had a 2 bladed propellor rather than the 3 bladed version provided by Occre so I will need to source an appropriate blade but a job for another day.

Modification 1 (Continued)
I had previously cut an opening on the forward bulkhead beneath the foredeck. I have been unable to find any photographs, however a plan indicates a toilet and lamp room on port and starboard respectively plus a winch.
klyall_deckplan_3.jpg

I constructed a wall and doorway ...
klyall_cabinplanking_1.jpg

... and planked both before installing. Rather than just paint the bulkheads white as per the Occre instructions, I have cut 5mm strips (remains of strips used for the decking) into 3mm strips and applied those to the bulkheads which would be more realistic. As before there were bevelled slightly to give both depth and the impression of separate planks.klyall_cabinplanking_2.jpg

I have applied Betun De Judea to give a weathered affect. Rather than applying with a brush, I found that using kitchen towel was more effective to soak slightly into the tissue, and then gently rub on the surface before wiping away with a clean tissue. When too much was applied I brushed a very dilute white acrylic paint over the surface.

Modification 5: Additional edging
From images of the foredeck bulkhead, I have added an extra layer of edging just below the edging attached to the foredeck.
1708883854860.jpeg

Below is the completed portion of the modification. I plan to allow construct a winch to slot under the foredeck.
klyall_cabinplanking_7.jpg

The other end of the deck has 2 doors, which again I have replaced the Occre provided ones with my own ...
klyall_cabinplanking_3.jpgklyall_cabinplanking_8.jpg

Modification 6: Edging below doors.
Having completed the 2 doors on the midship bulkhead, I realised a mistake with the doors on the accommodation build. I blindly followed the Occre instructions where the plan shows the bottom of the doors level with the deck. I suspect this would have been unlikely as that would have allowed water from the decks to flow into the accommodation.klyall_cabinplanking_4.jpg
Fortunately this was a simple fix to essentially raise the doors by removing the white planks above the door ...
klyall_cabinplanking_5.jpg
... remove the door cross beams and insert new Cross beams at the appropriate height. Strips of white timber were glued at the bottom to provide a threshold.
klyall_cabinplanking_6.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Keith. Those are great alterations.

I have found another - more explicit - picture of the deck shelter. This one is not in Hurley's book. It comes from 'The Shackleton Voyages', which can be purchased very cheaply on Amazon. This book deals with all of Shackleton's expeditions, so: Discovery, Nimrod, Endurance and Quest.

Notice the hull is still white in this picture. It was painted black in Buenos Aires to stand out against the ice. The suspension of the (life)boats was also changed considerably at a later stage, from in-board to out-board..

EnduranceShelter_01.jpg

EnduranceShelter_02.jpg

EnduranceShelter_03.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, Keith. Those are great alterations.

I have found another - more explicit - picture of the deck shelter. This one is not in Hurley's book. It comes from 'The Shackleton Voyages', which can be purchased very cheaply on Amazon. This book deals with all of Shackleton's expeditions, so: Discovery, Nimrod, Endurance and Quest.

Notice the hull is still white in this picture. It was painted black in Buenos Aires to stand out against the ice. The suspension of the (life)boats was also changed considerably at a later stage, from in-board to out-board..

View attachment 430811

View attachment 430812

View attachment 430813
Thanks Mike for the positive feedback and for providing some additional info. I am enjoying the challenge of extending the model to try and be more realistic than the kit instructions. Went on a buying splurge yesterday to get replacement stanchions, life rings etc.

Modification 7: Walkway between decks
In the Occre kit the walkway between the midship accommodation block and the aft deck area is continuous.
klyall_gangplank_5.jpg

However historic pictures indicate that the 2 walkways are separate and sit on top of the deck as shown below.
klyall_gangplank_4.jpg

As such I have cut off the walkways and applied the decking planks but left an overhang which will rest on the decks. In addition I completed the roof and edging on the living quarters.
klyall_gangplank_3.jpg

A dry fit is as follows ...
klyall_gangplank_1.jpg

klyall_gangplank_2.jpg

In addition to looking at photos in the book South with Endurance" I have also been referring to plans to identify other details.
klyall_plans_7.jpgklyall_plans_5.jpg

Based on those plans I have added a winch beneath the foredeck ...
klyall_plans_8.jpg

Although the anchor winch is largely hidden beneath the foredeck, nonetheless I decide to install one. Obviously this is not part of the kit so I created a winch of sorts from scrap timber. This also gave me the opportunity to try my hand at wood turning to create the drums which I have never down before. I used a 5mm dowel and model makers lathe, file and turning chisels. I was very pleased with the outcome given my first attempt as they not only resemble drums but they are the same size. Obviously I have taken some (ok quite a lot) poetic licence on the body but not a big deal as largely hidden anyway.
klyall_winch_5.jpg

I have also drilled holes through the deck where the anchor chain would be stored plus holes through the bulkhead where the anchor chain would feed.
klyall_winch_6.jpgklyall_winch_7.jpg

From this experience I would change 2 things:
1) I would make the gap that I cut in the forward bulkhead a bit wider.
2) I would have completed and installed the winch and chain BEFORE I glued the foredeck on.

Progress on a number of miscellaneous areas ...

Completed edging on the accommodation block. Dry fit to see how it was looking.

Note when building the accommodation, there are a couple of lugs to fit into slots on the deck. I saw a number of builds where there were gaps between the wall of the block and the deck plans. As such I cut the lugs off the bottom of the accommodation block and have NOT opened up the corresponding slots in the deck.
klyall_winchinstall_1.jpgklyall_ribs_4.jpg

Blackening of anchor chain and install of the winch and chain under the foredeck.
klyall_winchinstall_2.jpgklyall_winchinstall_3.jpgklyall_winchinstall_4.jpg
Note that I drilled holes through the hull to feed and attach the chain.
klyall_winchinstall_5.jpgklyall_ribs_6.jpg

Added the ribs and added strips to simulate planking on the inside of the hull. You can never have enough small clamps :). I cut a short section of timber to act as a spacer when positioning the ribs (3rd picture).
klyall_ribs_1.jpgklyall_ribs_2.jpgklyall_ribs_3.jpgklyall_ribs_5.jpg

Now starting to plank the hull ... starting to look ship like now.
klyall_plankhull_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back