Nuts and bolts

After finding out that nuts and bolts were invented in the 1400’s I have a question for you historians. Were these ever used as methods of attachments on 18th century ships? I was thinking possibly in/on the keels. The reason I ask is that I came into possession of some scale bolts and nuts years ago. Wondering if they could be utilized on my current 1779 build.
John

After finding out that nuts and bolts were invented in the 1400’s I have a question for you historians. Were these ever used as methods of attachments on 18th century ships? I was thinking possibly in/on the keels. The reason I ask is that I came into possession of some scale bolts and nuts years ago. Wondering if they could be utilized on my current 1779 build.
John
Good evening Sideburns, joke what ship you are building

It constantly amazes me at the skill the old shipwrights used to fashion ships and their timbers. Using only hand augers to accurately drill through feet of hard oak, hundreds if not thousands of times in a single ship, then drive copper and iron bolts through defies my understanding. If you have experience working such raw materials, you'll know what I mean.

ok, I guess this just boggles my mind. In this case, are they really using Nuts and Bolts that we think of in todays terms? I hate to sound so ignorant, but no way other around it for myself. I did not realize the invention of the "thread pattern" went back that far in time. Also what about the wrench that tighten these things. Must have been a hefty wrench. Also, I guess the nuts must have been only square at the time.
In some cases, that much have been some really really long bolts !!!

ok, I guess this just boggles my mind. In this case, are they really using Nuts and Bolts that we think of in todays terms? I hate to sound so ignorant, but no way other around it for myself. I did not realize the invention of the "thread pattern" went back that far in time. Also what about the wrench that tighten these things. Must have been a hefty wrench. Also, I guess the nuts must have been only square at the time.
Good evening, in the doubt that bolts were used in shipbuilding, specifically the axial carpentry is cited by Boudriot and also from English source "Pins. '"These too are iron bars with a round or square section, but of variable thickness from one end to the other, decreasing from the head to the point. The pins are made to measure: in our vessel, the longest touch 12 feet (390 m), with the diameter greater than 5 cm and the smaller diameter 4 cm. The diameters of the pins vary from line to line (2.25 mm); in our vessel, the larger diameter of the smaller pins is 1 inch ( 27 mm) The head of the pins is relatively little pronounced, being rather a slight bulge of the stem."

Last edited:
The bolts on the BH and similar ships were normally not threaded, and AFAIK, not "nuts" (square or hex) were used. Most were clenched in some way, bending over the end of the bolt, or a keeper driven crosswise through a slot in the end of the bolt, or other end attachment. The "bolts" then were not that dissimilar to "nails" except in size. Some, as shown above in the long bolts into the keel, were more "screws" in today's terminology, as I believe they had threads at the end only, to screw into the wood, rather than nuts or attachments at the end.

Frank,
Very good detailed description and drawings.
What book did this come from?
from the first volume

THE 74-Gun SHIP / THE SEVENTY-FOUR GUN SHIP
A Practical Treatise on the Art of Naval Architecture
4 Volume Set (Set of 4 volumes)
by Jean BOUDRIOT

The bolts on the BH and similar ships were normally not threaded, and AFAIK, not "nuts" (square or hex) were used. Most were clenched in some way, bending over the end of the bolt, or a keeper driven crosswise through a slot in the end of the bolt, or other end attachment. The "bolts" then were not that dissimilar to "nails" except in size. Some, as shown above in the long bolts into the keel, were more "screws" in today's terminology, as I believe they had threads at the end only, to screw into the wood, rather than nuts or attachments at the end.
1646663994443.pngGood afternoon Signet, this is one of many vintage tables

This gives a pretty good overview of the subject, making it clear nuts and bolts go WAY back....

Back