Noobish questions re: HMS Enterprise 1774 (6th rate frigate)

Hi all! This might be a bit off-topic, but I'm using HMS Enterprise (1774) as the reference for a Frigate that's going to appear in my DnD campaign (homebrew setting with 18th century technology), so I've been cross-referencing all the plans, paintings, photos, and models I can find to compile an orthographic top-down view. It's more detail than strictly necessary for gameplay purposes, but I'm having fun. Here's the current WIP (guns to come):
HMS Enterprise_WIP.jpg

However, since this is the first time I've dived this deeply into ship architecture, I have some questions:

Bower Anchors
Some of the plans and models depict 4 bower anchors (as shown in my WIP), while others show 2. For example, this plan shows one stowed beside the channel, and another hanging from the cathead, and some models do the same:
1685504334025.png
However, it occurred to me that the anchor hanging from the cathead would cause considerable drag, so maybe the plan is showing two alternate locations for the anchor (sailing vs. anchored), and some of the models have mistakenly placed anchors in both positions instead of choosing one?

Bonus question: The plan above shows a number of oddly-shaped interlocking planks between the gundeck and the waterline. Were ships actually constructed this way? If so, what is this technique called?

Gunport covers
Many of the plans and models only depict covers over the sternmost 3 gunports on the gun deck. Eg: this product shot from the Shipyard paper model kit:
1685504121611.png
But I would have thought you'd want all of the gun deck ports covered in rough seas, especially those at midship?

Stern Cabin
I've been unable to find any clear illustrations of what the stern cabin looks like from above when planked and tiled, and how it connects to the hull. However, I've also seen very little consistency among plans and models regarding these details anyway, leading me to think that it's either 1) open to interpretation or 2) variable, so I've gone with my own interpretation since this is meant to be a fictional ship anyway. Does my interpretation look sound?

I'd also welcome any general feedback on my depiction of the ship's architecture and layout!

Hi David!
I try to answer some of your questions:
Anchors: during sailing anchors ( up to 6 or even more on a ship) were stowed : the two hanging on the catheads were also fixed at the fore channels.
Wales: these are reenforced areas at the ships sides, on your foto the black stripes. These wales had different forms of planking, in your case called "hook and butt" planking. Other forms are anchorstock and "top and butt" planking.
Gunport lids: mostly only for completely enclosed areas. Where the guns are open to the elements, lids are not necessary.
Greetings Christian

Gunport covers
The gunportlids at the aft gunports are installed to close the "windows" - behind are the captains and officers rroms. All other gunports are at areas, where no roof is installed, so no deck above

On some ships, the planking was interlocked in that fashion. Planking styles were unique to each ship, but there were general styles that the patterns fell into. Hook and butt planking was found on some ships.

Back