Noob Question

I don't know. There are too many unknowns, such as have you built anything before? What type of ship do you want to build? Have you any tools at all. Are you happy to risk hundreds of dollars on somthing that may not work out?

Why once more we are starting here a general discussion of kits or scratch?
Our new member @glockexe is completely new in shipmodeling, but interested in this hobby

Maybe we should create a section where a beginner in the hobby can start and find answers,

I agree with Bob sometimes these beginner questions lack backround information. a person can ask about getting started in model ship building and for all we know may have spent years as a model railroader and has years of experence with model building in general. Perhaps someone asking about the hobby and scratch building was suggested and just maybe that person has a full blown wood working shop and has done wood working for many years.
maybe a beginners section starting with questions

do you have any model building experence?

do you have any power or hand tools?

have you done wood working projects of any kind?

what type of ship interest you?

how deeply do you want to get involved in the hobby?

what about this hobby that got your attention in the first place?

how much time would you expect on spending on the build?

do you want historical accuracy or just any display model?

What is you price range for a kit?

What is a good beginner's model kit to start with?

The following Ship Model Kits are often recommended:
Other Models
"Advanced" Beginner's Sailing Ship Models
Wooden Sailing Ship Models
BluejacketWendameen (1916)
We're Here
Resin kit
Midwest ProductsANY Midwest kit marked "beginner".
The Chesapeake Bay Flattie, Dinghy and Boston Whitehall Tender are recommended.
Midwest is very explicit about the skills needed to build each of those small kits, so it should be easy for any beginning modeler, with any skills set, to make an appropriate choice. And the instructions are Excellent!
Model ExpoSwift (AL)
Scottish Maid (AL)
Armed Virginia Sloop (Model Shipways)
Scotland (Corel)
All are Plank on Bulkhead
The LumberyardLivelyPlank on Frame
Model ExpoEmma C. BerryPlank on Frame
Amati cannon kits carronade
French naval cannon

Note that this list does NOT contain most of the popular European kits - European kits typically suffer from poor instructions and plans, inadequate research, and excessive complexity for a beginner -- only a small fraction of these kits sold are ever completed.
{John O. Kopf}

I am a strong proponent of Keith Julier's books (Period Ship Modeling I, II and III). For those who may not be familiar with them, each chapter provides a profusely illustrated description of the assembly of a commercially available kit. IMHO one of these books would be ideal for any beginner...particularly one who started with a Spanish or Italian kit.
{Joel Labow}
A number of you have written in support of Keith Julier's books Period Ship Modeling vol. NN. Here's my $0.02.
The theme of these books is: "What will one of the [insert European kit manufacturer's names here] kits look like if I built it straight from the box?" Each "chapter" covers one kit, with maybe a dozen b/w photos of his kit in progress. Every absurdity of the Euro kits is included, from lower hull planking ending on the wales, bright brass fittings, painted and "grouted" tiles representing copper plating, to the ridiculous head representations on several of the kits. He did include one Model Shipways kit (Pride of Baltimore II). Ben Lankford's clear instructions and the intricacies of proper planking technique required for a single-planked job (e.g. spiling) seem to come as a revelation to him.

These books are reasonable if you got a European double-planked kit for Christmas and don't know what to do with. It's also a good warning as to the limitations of these kits. Save your money if you've got a model or two under your belt and want to produce something to superior to "out of the box."
{Douglas Simpkin}

Most modelers enter the hobby from plastic kits. (They migrate to sailing ships from plastic aircraft or modern ships). To many, the jump from plastic non-sailing ships to a wooden sailing ship is too big. They become intimidated.
Some good plastic kits do exist, that are suitable as beginner kits. These include the Heller 1:75 NINA and PINTA. (Little jewels, although some filling is required. Also, I suspect they are really 1:90 -- compare the hulls to the 1:100 plans in Pastor's Ships of Christopher Columbus). Don't waste time on the Revell Columbus ships. They are useful for fittings, but of much lower quality than the Heller kits.

Another possiblity is the Airfix 1:72 Golden Hind. This has more complex rigging, but simpler than say, the Revell 1:96 Constitution. If you do not mind using stretched sprue, the Airfix Great Western is fun, too. The sail plan is simplified because it is a paddle steamer, but there is enough to be fun. I would recommend that only to an experienced plastic modeler who is a neophyte in sailing ships.

An advantage to plastic kits is that you rig them just like the wooden kits. Rigging tends to be the biggest challenge in a sailing ship model. Get comfortable with rigging, and going to wood doesn't seem so scary.
{Mark Lardas}

The Airfix Golden Hind needs some serious work, namely the foremast moved. If a real sailing ship had a mast where it is on the model, that mast would have very little support below the decks. I've been on board the "real" Golden Hind, i.e. the latter day full size replica, whose masts extend down into the guts of the ship, which is impossible on the ship depicted by Airfix. To make matters worse, the model lacks parts for anything much smaller than a cannon. If you want "something that does NOT resemble a toy", steer clear of this kit.
The Airfix HMS Victory is a better model. Unlike the Golden Hind, it includes minor details such as a figurehead and wheel. For a beginner, it requires a good amount of effort, as will any sailing ship model that size, but it can be done. It was my first large sailing ship model, so I speak from beginner's experience. :)
{Adrian Hurt}

A good point...If you're unfamiliar with ships (either sailing or power), an inexpensive plastic model will help you recognize the various parts of the ships, and help begin to familiarize you with some of the problems you'll encounter (such as few straight lines, flat surfaces, and the need to review the plans and instructions before you "paint your self into a corner" by installing one part that blocks the installation of a second part).
{John O. Kopf}
I recommend you obtain a wood ship model kit that comes with an instruction book which describes the details of the prototype vessel, or vessels of the very type you are modeling. In other words, the plans and general instructions rarely give a novice enough information on what the rigging details look like, or how to reproduce them in scale.
Start out with a fishing vessel which has one or two masts, and is not square-rigged. I have a modest library of ship model books from the 1970s, but none of them is likely to be of a lot of help in completing a particular model, so I won't recommend any.

Bear in mind that experienced ship modellers often junk the wood strips supplied in the kit and replace it with strips sawn from very hard, fine-grained wood like maple, apple, pearwood and boxwood.

Good quality woodworking tools tend to be lot more costly than the tools required for plastic kits.
{Septimus}

Before you run to the Candy Store with your check book you should take a moment to seriously consider the following points.
  1. How much time and effort are you willing to put into the work?
  2. How much money can you afford to invest?
  3. How do you rate your own ability?
  4. Do you have a mentor or someone who can assist you when you have a problem?
  5. What sort of space do you have to display your work?
  6. What type of ship do you want to build?
  7. What is your actual purpose in building?
Keep it simple! Reflect a moment on your needs, wants, and desires. Don't let your current enthusiasm carry you overboard into deep water. Be honest with yourself!
In the selection of a kit. You may have already obtained a catalog from Model Expo. This is a good start. However, before you buy anything, make a visit to a local Hobby Shop and check out some of the Kits they have available. Ask the clerk if you can look at the contents of a kit and check out the plans, Instructions, materials (wood, Fittings, etc.) to see what they look like, and in what condition the material is in. Parts get damaged in shipment or handling. Spend a little time to look at various kits.

A Plug for Model Expo is their Unconventional Guarantee noted in their catalog. Read it. I haven't seen this in other Mail Houses to date, but you can bet that your local dealer doesn't carry one like it. I had planned to order some of their kits, but they never responded to my request for assistance. Maybe I asked them the wrong questions.

The Kit you finally select is your choice. When the kit arrives, take time to check it out before you attempt to cut any wood. Look at the condition of the contents of the box. Check the BOM (Bill of Materials) against the actual parts. Check that the wood is not split, chipped, or damaged, and the number of pieces listed are there. Check all the fittings for condition and Quantity. Check the instructions and plans. In other words, make sure that everything that is suppose to be there is. Mistakes and/or accidents happen and parts or materials sometime get broken or not get put into the box. If there is anything wrong, notify the people you bought the kit from to correct the problem, before you start. Most companies offer a 30 day Guarantee (but only in the original condition).

This may excite the Armchair Admirals but do not concern yourself with scale, history, modifications, or anything else at this time. Concern yourself with these things later on if you decide to continue the hobby. Kits are made to be put together as is. The idea is to enjoy building and the pleasure of displaying a job well done. So what if there are minor errors, it's to be expected your first time out. No-one becomes a master anything over night! The more your learn, the more you find that you have to learn.

Again don't go overboard, there are too many people who start out with high enthusiasm and ambitions only to have it peter out when they realize the enormous task they face. But if you start within your means and work slowly and steadily your can see the result of your work and show it with pride. I built that myself!!

I've enjoyed this hobby for over 25 years it requires both time and patience. Good Luck!!

What's the difference between Beginner, intermediate, or advanced Kits?

This is a good question and difficult to answer. As a designer for Model Shipways, I do not always agree with the final category which appears in the catalog. There is naturally an effort to categorize a model at intermediate or beginner level - more sales! The recent Pride of Baltimore II kit was desired as a beginners kit, I felt it an advanced kit, so we wound up compromising at intermediate level. Here are some of my thoughts as a designer and model builder: Beginners -
Solid wood hull is often difficult to shape properly and it takes some skill to fit templates and carve correctly. It would then be an intermediate skill. However, many solid hull models can be completed by the beginner simply by sanding it without regard to total accuracy. Consequently, on the smaller models with a solid hull the beginner can handle it. So, the beginner should know something about sanding wood, and at least have the skill to do some "pocket knife" carving.
The beginner should have some basic understanding of a ship, knowing a deck from a mast and be able to read the plans and instructions. If the model has rigging, the beginner should be able to at least tie a knot to fake a seizing.

Since most models are painted, the beginner should have done some painting with brushes and know how to make reasonably smooth brush strokes. The beginner also needs to know a little something about gluing parts together with white glue.

The beginner should possess the ability to stick with the project a reasonable length of time, understanding that it cannot be built in a hurry, and understand that a wooden model will take a longer time and require more part making than say compared with a plastic model where the parts are basically complete.

Intermediate -
For solid hulls, the modeler should be able to use gouges and chisels for removing wood and have the patience to work longer on a large hull. For the POB hulls, the modeler should have the skill to use a hobby knife and saw and cut parts accurately to lines. Cutting bevels on the bulkheads and tapering planking is important, and use of the tools is essential.
Intermediate models start to have many small parts for deck furniture. The modeler must be able to handle and assemble (glue) small parts together accurately and to keep them to scale. In rigging, there will be more to do, so the modeler must have the patience to spend the time to complete the rig.

They should have the ability to "think out" the rigging beforehand, and also know how to push and pull lines about with rigging tool aids.

The painting of the model is going to be more difficult. The modeler should know how to plan painting the various parts and proceed in an orderly fashion, so as not to work their way into a hole.

Advanced -
Most advanced models are really just more of the same. The same skills are required for the most part. The name of the game is patience. The Flying Fish model from Model Shipways is an advanced project. It was always a big seller to beginners and advanced modelers alike. From old Model Shipways' John Shedd, I was told that it was a good seller, but less-often completed model. Modelers start but never finish the model. My only thought is that they loose patience and get bored with the project over a very long time period. So, you must have the patience and endurance for advanced projects.
Like the intermediate model, the advanced model has even more rigging involved, but if you can rig a single mast you can certainly rig two. The skill is the same. An advanced project will require you to do more detailing and the tying of simple knots is not likely to be satisfactory. Consequently, you should have the skill to make seizings of lines, wrapping them with fine thread.

The advanced project will probably get you more into soldering. The Flying Fish is a good example. There are many iron fittings.

So, you should have the skill to cut, shape, and solder small brass parts. Sometimes, you can substitute other methods in lieu of soldering. You should have the ability to make these decisions and know that the result will be satisfactory.

Painting again will be difficult but should not be any more involved than on an intermediate model.

What tools do I need to get started?

In most all of the recent Model Shipways kits, the instruction book lists those tools that are needed for the particular model. However, this list has almost become boiler plate in the instruction books I prepared. Here's a composite of my list:
  1. Knives and saws
    • Hobby knife
    • No.11 blades
    • Razor saw or jeweler's saw
  2. Files
    • Set of needle files
  3. Clamps
    • A few small C-clamps
    • Wooden clothespins
    • Rubber bands, #16 and #33
  4. Tool Set
    • A small carving tool set or individual gouges and chisels for carving keel rabbets, tapering the stem, or carving solid hull models.
  5. Sharpening Stone
    • Necessary to keep tools razor sharp
  6. Boring Tools
    • Set of miniature drills: #60 to #80
    • 1/16", 3/32", and 1/8" drills
    • Pin vise
  7. Miscellaneous
    • Tack hammer
    • Tweezers (a few)
    • Small fine pointed scissors
    • Miniature pliers
      • small round
      • flat nose

• Bench vise (small)
  • Soldering iron or torch
    • solder
    • flux

• Wire cutters (for cutting fine wire and strip metal) My response regarding tools was primarily for the "minimum" needs, obviously addressing hand tools. There is also one power toolthat I keep on my minimum list, for models as well as large woodworking projects. That is the band saw. I have never been without one, and never will. To me it is the most useful power tool in any shop, for fancy cuts, stripping, or just plain cutting a piece of scrap wood in half.
    For model work, a small band saw is desirable. I had been using a large Sears saw up to a few years ago. However, I bought a speed reducer for it, and now use it exclusively for cutting metal. Of course, you can change the reducer, and change the blade for wood cutting. But I'm too old for wasting that much time. I decided to invest in a small model band saw.
    Well, Micro Mark had just advertised a new Black and Decker band saw for the modeler. I jumped at it. But boy was I disappointed. This was a big piece of junk. I think it had a wooden or rock gear drive. It was so noisy you could not believe it. It was also not accurate, would not line up, and the case and other parts pure trash. I was not happy that Micro Mark sold such a thing. Well, maybe they got the word too, because they soon dumped it, or maybe B&D did.
    What I have now, and good old Micro Mark is selling it also, is the new Delta 8 inch band saw. This is one dreamboat. It is so quiet you can hardly hear it running. Very accurate and the case and all parts are of excellent metal and machined very well. It cuts smooth as silk. I generally use a 1/8" blade which is very thin. You can get this saw for a song at the big stores like Home Depot, and some mail order.
    As a model band saw, cutting small stuff, I added a new plastic laminate table on top of the metal table. Saw a slit to the center with the blade and you have a nice table without the big hole around the blade.
    {Ben Lankford}
    While I now have a pretty good stable of power tools, I have scratchbuilt hulls using a coping saw. While a jig saw certainly makes life easier, it is not absolutely essential. I used thinner lifts, and these actually make shaping the hull easier anyway, although it is more work cutting more layers.
    Of course, that may require re-lofting the waterlines, but that doesn't take more than a couple of hours.
    Of course, this requires that the hull be built bread-and- butter, but I always do that anyway. Wood gets expensive when you want a single large block.
    The thing I like about scratch building is that I can pick my own scale, and can build any ship I want, not just the ones that are kitted.
    {Don Stauffer}
    The only power tool I have is my Dremel! No real workbench, no large saws, not many tools bigger than an Exacto, I borrowed a table saw & other tools at a friend's house to do the first cuts on the Incomparable hull) That's why I don't scratchbuild more than I do. Kits, even inaccurate ones, require far fewer facilities, and far less time to make into an acceptable model.
    {David R. Wells} The producers of model kits supply wood and metal parts for a completed kit of average detail. A "good" kit will have plans which allow the dedicated and experienced modeler ample scope for adding more detail. Generally, you have to supply some materials yourself.
    I think you will add more tools and materials to your workshop with each kit you build.
    {Septimus}
    One of the nicest and most accurate hand tools to use in woodworking is a good block plane. One of the earlier messages mentioned using a razor plane, which uses removable blades that look like single or double edged razor blades. I used one for years, until the special blades it used became unavailable. Then I checked up on "traditional" planes and now am muchhappier. Here are the basic steps:
    1. Get an old miniature plane in restorable shape. What you are looking for is something like a Stanley 100 or Stanley 101. I prefer the 100, because I find the "squirrel tail" handle to be more comfortable and to give me more control. They are fairly rare and significantly more expensive than the 101's. You should be able to get a decent 101 off of eBay for between $20 and $40. A lot of time people selling them don't know what they are, so they list them as "toy plane," "little block plane," "funny little plane," etc. As always on eBay, patience, persistence, and creativity with the search engine pays off. There were similar models made by both Millers Falls and Sargent. Look for one whose description says "minor rust" or "no pitting." If you're buying it to use, you don't really care what shape the japanning (the baked enamel) is in, but collectors do, so that's where the bargains lie. Look carefully at the picture to make sure the body of the plane is a casting and not the cheap stamped ones sold by Stanley when they started going downhill. In general, the older it looks the better the steel in the blade will be.
    2. Clean off the rust with your favorite rust remover and steel wool.
    3. Sharpen the blade. The now-legendary "scary sharp" system really works. This involves using fine grades of abrasive paper glued to a flat (glass or marble) surface. I found that for small blades you don't really have to glue the paper down, and using just three grits (400, 600, and 1500) works just fine. (Fine grit wet or dry paper is available at auto supply stores). You'll need a rolling jig to hold the blade at the right angle; look at the full-size ones at a hardware store, then make a miniature out of a block of wood, some wing nuts, and a couple of 1" shower curtain rollers from the hardware gizmo display. I use a marble base from a junked desk pen set for my flat; you can also get marble scraps cheap from monument places. Having a good reference flat is useful for other things as well. If the blade is in really rough shape you may have to start with 220 to grind it to shape then go down through the grits until you get a mirror surface Watch how you test it with your finger -- it will indeed bescary sharp.
    4. Lap the sole. The bottom of the plane will almost certainly have warped a little with age, and is probably scratched to boot. Using the same abrasive paper and flat surface, rub in a figure eight pattern until the sole is flat. You can see this develop in the pattern of scratches as you go.
    5. "Tune" the plane. This involves getting the blade aligned to the sole and sticking out just a few thousands of an inch. The 100/101s don't have the fancy threaded adjustments of the bigger planes, so this looks tricky at first. Actually it's easy. Get some shim stock of varying thickness. Lay the plane on your flat surface with a piece of shim under the nose, which will mean there is a tiny angle between the sole and the surface. Slide the blade in place, letting its edge lie on the surface. Tighten the locking screw and take a trial cut. Adjust depth by changing the thickness of the shim stock, moving the shim in or out, or both.
    6. Admire your work. You should be able to cut the tiniest of shavings off bass or spruce. I "scary sharp" my larger (old) Millers Falls block plane, and I can tune it to cut a .001 shaving the length of a six foot long sitka spruce mast. With one of these you'll learn the manifold advantages of being able to shave off just what you want, flat and smooth, without the frustration and rounded edges you get when you play with rasps and sandpaper.

I've been building models for years, and I like tools, so I collect them. The hard part is deciding which represent a reasonable subset. The list below is for scratch building in 3/8" = 1'-0" scale. Some items are superfluous to building from a kit
I get a lot of use out of my Dremel tool using the cut-off disks that come 25 or so to a pack. It does a fine job of cutting piano wire and rounding the ends. I don't use it much for shaping wood tho.

A jigsaw and a combo belt/disk sander both get a lot of use.

I tend to leave models in natural wood, so my "finishing" is mainly sealing and varnishing

The scale of 3/8" = 1' 0" that I use has several advantages. It's 1:32, so a pocket ruler will read inches directly. It's small enough that materials are easy to find and handle, but large enough that most full scale techniques are feasible.

The following is a good start on a tool collection:

• sturdy, well lit work surface -- I use a surplus steel office desk
  • moveable light source -- halogen would probably be an improvement over mine
  • magnifier on a stand -- I rigged mine from an old gooseneck lamp and a cheap magnifying glass, connected by a photography ball & socket.
  • various other magnifiers depending on how old your eyeballs are -- I use several
  • bench pin (jeweler's) -- I made mine out of a piece of 1x4 and bolted it to the desk top with a 1/4-20 bolt sunk beneath the surface -- I tapped the desktop to accept the bolt -- these are expendable, but they last several years
  • 12" 1x4 of fairly hard wood for cutting and sanding on -- yes, I have one of the fancy pieces of vinyl, but I can clamp a piece of basswood to the 1x4, use my steel ruler (also clamped) as a cutting guide, and convert a piece of 1/32" basswood into scale 1x4s quickly. The vinyl doesn't clamp up well.
  • #1 X-acto knife with #11 & #17 blades (the #17 is the 1/4" chisel) -- actually, there's an improved handle available with the knurled part at the opposite end from the blade and a little hex ferrule which keeps it from rolling -- I have a scalpel too, but it's not worth it
  • 6" Stanley block plane, # H102 it's 1-1/2" wide, cheap with a sheet metal sole, and it does a fantastic job, both on models and on full size boats
  • hard Arkansas stone for sharpening
  • X-acto back saw
  • 6" x 16" piece of Homosote to represent your building floor - talk to a model railroader
  • a half dozen or so concrete nails to grind into special chisels and punches -- the square, incredibly hard ones
  • architectural scale with a 3/8" = 1' scale
  • scraper -- somewhere I have a real, Stanley, cabinet scraper, but usually I use the back of an X-acto knife, the edge of a file whose teeth I ground off, or my steel pocket ruler
  • combination square, 12"
  • adjustable 4" square
  • 12" steel ruler (the markings don't matter, the straight edge does)
  • steel dressmaker pins
  • files of all sizes including a set of needle files, #2 cut is best -- it's also nice to have #4 in barrette, round, and diamond sections
  • shoemaker's rasp -- also great for the full scale boat
  • drafting dividers and compasses
  • wooden clothespins, reversed -- 8 or more (clamping)
  • clamps -- I like the sliding kind as well as the cast, 2" size – no boatbuilder ever had too many clamps
  • wire coat hangers for making clamping devices
  • split rings cut from PVC pipe for clamping
  • hunks of steel for use as anvils and weights, preferably hardened and ground smooth like old lathe tool holders
  • diagonal cutting pliers
  • Sear's "Handy Cut" or "Acu-Cut" cutter
  • pliers, 4": needle nose w/teeth and w/o teeth, chain nose, round nose, flat nose
  • 6" needlenose pliers
  • jeweler's ring clamp
  • pin vises
  • drills, #61 thru #80
  • drills, 1/16 thru 1/4"
  • egg beater style drill
  • jeweler's saw and collection of blades -- after you develop the skill they only break every five minutes -- hang it up
  • tweezers on a stand (a third hand)
  • forceps or hemostats
  • small ball-pein hammer, 1 oz
  • dental probes -- explorers, amalgam tamping tool, chisel, scrapers
  • sandpaper -- 100 grit to 600 grit
  • vise, modelers
  • vise, drill press, non-tilting -- shim jaws to close true
  • soldering stuff -- deliberately vague because I don't know how far into the making of metal fittings you want to go -- I like that part, and get carried away
  • all kinds of small pieces of scrap metal and tubing - the hobby stores sell it, but it can add up

Do I need a Rotary tool (e.g., Dremel)?

Many modelers find use for a small "grinder" (such as a "Dremel tool" or various equivalents). If you have a choice, get one with variable speed; failing that, get one with low speed(s) available (the common ones run at ~30,000 rpm - far too fast for drilling or sanding activities) - the Dremel MiniMite can be found for about $30, and provides the choice of 6,000 or 12,000 rpm operation. Many of these tools come with a sack of grindstones, etc. You'll find that you don't use most of these (they're there for other kinds of activities), so don't base you decision on the collection included; instead, get the minimum with the tool and add to your personal set as you find a need.

One thing you will find a use for is a full set of "collets" - a set typically contains 1/8", 3/32", 1/16", and 1/32" diameters. The "bits" that come with the tool usually need the 1/8" collet, but bits you scrounge from your dentist are typically 1/16" or 3/32", and drill-bits will use the smallest sizes. However, even the slowest speed is overly fast for wood, and extremely fast for plastic (you'll melt your way through the plastic rather than cutting it). Remember that the smaller the drill, the faster it can be turned without overheating the drill and work. However, the smaller the drill, the more "brittle" it is, so take great care when attempting to drill extremely small holes free-hand!

(Micro-Mark has a special little chuck for cordless screwdrivers for slow speed drilling; it is made for #60 - 80 bits: [#81653 Micro Chuck - $9.95]; cordless screwdrivers are a little bulky but they run slow and are fairly inexpensive.)

Here are some alternatives:

WWW: Dremel®Foredom®
Pictures: Click for larger image.
Click for larger image.
smf-qRotary3.jpg
Click for larger image.
Dremels, corded and cordlessForedomDental
Collets & Bits: 1/8", 3/32", 1/16", and 1/32" diameters. 3/32" standard. 1/16" standard (Ask your dentist for used bits).
Used: hand-held. flexible-shaft & handpiece. belt-driven arm & handpiece.
reliability: hobby/craft machines.
use for light duty use.
Industrial. Industrial.
Price: $$-$$$. $$$-$$$$. $$ (second hand)
Used by: hobbyists. Jewelers, etc. Dentists.
Note - inexpensive bench-top dental machines are bought by almost all dentistry students; when they graduate, they trade them in for professional dental drills. The result is that the dental machine suppliers often have a lot of these second-hand student machines, and no real market - you may find them for $25.
Unfortunately, these suppliers often also sell supplies, such as drugs; because of the laws in some states, the can't sell anything to a non-licenced dentist! If you run into this problem, ask your family dentist if he'd be willing to buy such a machine for you, using your money).

To summarize the posts on drilling plastic with a Dremel, I'd say:
  1. The variable-speed Dremel Moto-Tools operate at high rpm to accomplish their work rather than using low-end torque like your basic hand drill. This causes the drill bit to generate enough heat to melt the plastic you're drilling.
  2. The solution is to use a single-speed Dremel Moto-Tool which is plugged into a Dremel speed controller. You can then operate the tool down to zero rpm if that suits your purpose. DO NOT PLUG A VARIABLE SPEED UNIT INTO A CONTROLLER!
  3. The variable-speed Moto-Tools are not designed to work plugged into a speed controller, just the single-speed models.
  4. A Dremel Mini-Mite has a high and a low speed setting; the latter is used for drilling styrene. I have one, I drill a lot of styrene, and it works just as well as my single-speed Dremel tool which is plugged into a Dremel speed controller.
  5. Both the full-size Dremel Moto-Tool and the Dremel Mini-Mite will accommodate the same range of four collets which are interchangeable between the two tools. The Mini-Mite comes with, I believe, the medium collet, and so you will need the other three, available as accessories, to chuck in the full range of Dremel bits, grinders, etc.
  6. With the smallest collet, both tools will grip a #80 drill, which is .013", quite nicely.
If you need a brochure or other information, you could look into Dremel's web site.

Very good Dave! What a wealth of advice. But then I expect no less from the fine folks here at SOS. Yes Bob, that is quite a lot to take in at first but the important thing to remember is that we acquire a lot of these things over a long period of time. I know that I have some tools that I have had for over 50 years, have added to them over time and now have quite a collection - but I still mostly use hand tools because those are the ones that feel like old friends. To any other newbies out there who may see this discussion and wonder what they have gotten themselves into - please remember that we all were new to this at some point in time. Take your time, relax and enjoy your new found hobby. Don't bite off more than you can chew, at first. Those of us who have been building models for over 60 years tend to sometimes forget that we learned pretty much through trial and error too.

TO ME IT ALL BOILES DOWN TO 3 THINGS BOT KIT and SCRATCH, PLANS, INSTRUCTIONS AND HELP FROM MORE EXPERIENCED MODELERS, also DAVE I THINK YOU NEED AN AMENMENT AS the new technology advances i expect to see many new begineers kits out utilizing 3-D, again it will happen just when. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

I guess that most people don't come to the hobby and asking on a website like this as complete innocents. I suspect most will have come via some experience of modelling, likely plastic kits in childhood.
When starting in a new field, I think that it is important to be able to taste success early on - then you get the buzz feelings of pride and satisfaction that make you want more. You don't get that by starting off on a project that is going to take you five years and where every single technique isa major challenge. Experienced builders get there by a steady accumulation of experience (good and bad, but it has to be mainly good or the build goes in the shed, never to be seen again). So start with a simple model that you will complete in a reasonably short space of time, and not overwhelm yourself with frustration and disappointment. The simple quick first ship will either teach you that this hobby really isn't for you, or leave you wanting more, and then you can progress with subsequent models to the more ambitious stuff.
IMHO!

I guess that most people don't come to the hobby and asking on a website like this as complete innocents. I suspect most will have come via some experience of modelling, likely plastic kits in childhood.
When starting in a new field, I think that it is important to be able to taste success early on - then you get the buzz feelings of pride and satisfaction that make you want more. You don't get that by starting off on a project that is going to take you five years and where every single technique isa major challenge. Experienced builders get there by a steady accumulation of experience (good and bad, but it has to be mainly good or the build goes in the shed, never to be seen again). So start with a simple model that you will complete in a reasonably short space of time, and not overwhelm yourself with frustration and disappointment. The simple quick first ship will either teach you that this hobby really isn't for you, or leave you wanting more, and then you can progress with subsequent models to the more ambitious stuff.
IMHO!
example of some simple models, please, what would say is a reasonably short space of time, thanks.

AGAIN LOOK ON E BAY FOR THE MID WEST KITS I STARTED WITH THE SKIP JACK, AND HAVE DOE A COUPLE OF THEM THE LAST ONE I CALLED PAINTING WITH WOOD WHERE I SCRATCH BUILD VALL THEB PARTS WITH DIFFERENT WOODS LIKE BOXWOOD< REDGUM< HOLLY< CHERRY ETC, it turned out great, and as DAVE STEVENS SAID THE INSTRUCTIONS AND PLANS ARE FIRST RATE, AND REMEMBER YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL HELP HERE AT SOS IF YOU NEED IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don

^ let’s not yell. Lol
it come down to how handy are you? I’m a carpenter, some people can’t drive a nail in, lol. How talented are you with your hands.

^ let’s not yell. Lol

all caps is to some considered yelling in Don's case it is eyesight long time members here know this and accept dons all cap posts.

go here and look at the entry level kits

I'm not the best one to answer that Glockexe, as I'm on my first ship model, and 30 years into it!
However..
Something like this Simpler build rather than this bit more complex

that’s the beauty of the hobby, you can walk away from it and it doesn’t matter, years later i picked up rite where I left off, And now I’m on on this site with all you fine people. Lol. I started my current Ship in 1990.Cautious

Last edited:
Back