Nonsuch 30

Winding up my pinky schooner, and just ordered another boat , the nonsuch 30 from model shipways.
Starting to pick paint colors and I am wondering if anyone has a recipe for nonskid paint?
It will be applied over a coat or two of primer.
I remember working at Hatteras Yachts they used ground up walnut shells mixed in the paint or imron, But the non skid would be too big.
Any Ideas?
TIA
Steven

Screenshot (39).png

Hello Steven, I am currently using very fine sand on the deck of my Rau. You can get him at the pet store. The sand is to be scattered in the birdcage. First paint on the deck, then sand over it. When the paint is dry, I vacuum up the loose sand and continue painting the deck as normal. In the end you have a rough, non-slip deck. Put the sand through a sieve beforehand, there could still be pieces of lime in it.

Last edited:
Way back in the stone age, ‘90’s I had a friend who owned a nonsuch and he was very picky about who he’d take for a sail. He asked me to accompany him on a two day cruise from Rye, New York up the coast to Old Lyme, Ct. That was one of those mellow sailing trips that didn’t need a lot of conversation to fill the time. I actually had a twofer that weekend. He was taking his boat up to Martha’s Vineyard but I couldn’t do the whole trip so he dropped me in Old Lyme and I took the train to Stamford. The twofer: boat and rail in one weekend. (For those of us who like all modes of transportation it brings out the kid in us)

Back