New Zealand sailing ships

Hi there
I have just started my first model (La Nina) and am already thinking about my next one! I would like to do a ship that is relevant to New Zealand, either a transport ship from the old world or a New Zealand built ship. I was wondering about doing the ship William Grey sailed to NZ in for the Treaty of Waitangi.
Does anyone here have any models or know of any that are available please?

Good and understandable plans for the future.
Maybe it is a little bit too early for a pure scratch build based on only drawings. and btw are there drawings existing of the William Grey?
It would be wise to collect some more experience in ship modeling and parallel you can make the necessary research for this ambitious plan.
With Cooks Endevavour you have a historical connection and there are several ship kits existing
f.e. the Jotika / Caldercraft version with good quality material and manuals - already a very complex ship model

Endeavour_lrg.jpg

In addition you can find several contemporary drawings in the NMM

j2054.jpg

Hi. Thanks for this. I got my history wrong. It was William Hobson who wrote Te Tiriti o Waitangi. George Grey was Governor from 1860 and invaded the Waikato in the land wars.
Hobson was the commander of the ship Rattlesnake. See below.

Early in 1837 the British Resident in New Zealand, James Busby, sent word that tribal war was endangering British subjects. Hobson left in the Rattlesnake, arriving at the Bay of Islands on 26 May. He met Busby, spoke with missionaries, prominent settlers and Māori leaders. With Samuel Marsden and Busby he interviewed the warring chiefs, Pōmare IIand Tītore, attempting to reconcile them, and warned against violence to British subjects. He visited other parts of the North Island, returning to the Bay of Islands on 30 June. Marsden sailed with him to Port Jackson (Sydney); there the ship was refitted and arrived in England in early 1838.

This would be a great ship to build as Waitangi is just up the road and it is such an important part of our history. This is a picture of her 26 guns
1646732698744.png

Last edited:
Very interesting subject

and here the HMS Rattlesnake, an Atholl-class 28-gun sixth-rate corvette of the Royal Navy launched in 1822

There are several paintings online,

pw5620.jpg

but also very interesting contemporary drawings existing

j6336.jpg

j6335.jpg

j7993.jpg

BTW: the available kit of the HMS Rattlesnake from Mamoli is a different vessel, it is the frigate launched in 1779 and not the Hobson corvette launche in 1822

Hi. Thanks for this.
The other one I found today is the Pamir. I have attached a painting and info below. Taken from Finland during WW2. There are 1/250 plastic models available but no wood ones that I can find 1BD463B7-4FB4-493B-BB8F-0D57BD084DD5.jpegF12EE338-1992-4B9A-83F8-BC69459A7630.jpeg

Hi. Thanks for this.
The other one I found today is the Pamir. I have attached a painting and info below. Taken from Finland during WW2. There are 1/250 plastic models available but no wood ones that I can find View attachment 295375View attachment 295376
That is a completely different type of ship, but has not a real historical connection with NewZealand, only that she was seized as a prise of war in 1941, afterwards made several turns under this flag

The Pamir was a Flying-P-Liner and had several sisterships

BTW: there was / is also a 1:150 kit produced by Heller
Unbenannt.JPG

Unbenannt1.JPG

If you want kits there are L'Astrolabe and Charles W Morgan with NZ connections

Oh great thanks - I will have a look.
I have also found HMS Hazard 18 gun pinnace. Fired on Korekoreko (Russell) inhe battle after Hone Heke cut the flagpole

HMS Hazard (1837)​

Unfortunately cant find any plans or model kits for her though. She would be a good one to build.​

I have also found HMS Hazard 18 gun pinnace. Fired on Korekoreko (Russell) inhe battle after Hone Heke cut the flagpole

HMS Hazard (1837)​

Unfortunately cant find any plans or model kits for her though. She would be a good one to build.​

Here you can find some info about the HMS Hazard (1837)

Unbenannt.JPG

So she was a sloop of the Favourite-class (HMS Favourite 1829), HMS Hyacinth (1829), HMS Racehorse (1830) and the HMS Hazard (1837) - btw very interesting, that the Favourite and Racehorse were still in service until beginning the 19th century - so appr. 80 years of service

Unbenannt2.JPG

and of this class several contemporary drawings in scale 1:48 are existing - in the following some most important ones:

j4261.jpg

j5099.jpg

j4260.jpg

j5097.jpg

j4256.jpg

Back