New to this site AND my first model ship. Progress on the Bluenose II

Good day. I hope I placed the post in the proper place. This is my first post relating to an actual build. In looking at the many photos I see here, I am SURE I did a few things WRONG, but I am new, and I will learn. Here are the photos of the build thus far: I hope they show on the page. I am building the Billings Boats Bluenose II. The directions said to mark the deck using a pencil, but I went the extra step by laying my the deck plank by plank.

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

Hello, fellow Bluenose builder, nice to see another Billing Boats build.
That's some real TLC that went I to the deck, lovely. Did you already scrape the deck with a sharp razor blade to even all the deck planks?
I hope you don't mind, but I saw some details you might want to improve upon.

At the transom/stern you might want to fair the aftmost part in line with the hull planks, so the planks and transom are flush relative to one another.
97D0E6BD-7851-4B7F-8360-90228DEA5BEE.jpeg

A second detail which caught my eye was the bow section. Did you have some accident, where the bow met something more solid? If you need to repair this, my approach would be to use strips of 1mm (0,038" thickness and as wide as the keel is, use any method of plank bending you're comfortable with and laminate until you have the required thickness. Then some sanding and filing and the bow would look as new. Oh, it would be best cut of the present keel beam where it's still undamaged and maybe introduce a scarf joint between keel and the repair.
EFB69DF1-914D-4BAD-9A14-30746DFDF841.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, fellow Bluenose builder, nice to see another Billing Boats build.
That's some real TLC that went I to the deck, lovely. Did you already scrape the deck with a sharp razor blade to even all the deck planks?
I hope you don't mind, but I saw some details you might want to improve upon.

At the transom/stern you might want to fair the aftmost part in line with the hull planks, so the planks and transom are flush relative to one another.
View attachment 317770

A second detail which caught my eye was the bow section. Did you have some accident, where the bow met something more solid? If you need to repair this, my approach would be to use strips of 1mm (0,038" thickness and as wide as the keel is, use any method of plank bending you're comfortable with and laminate until you have the required thickness. Then some sanding and filing and the bow would look as new. Oh, it would be best cut of the present keel beam where it's still undamaged and maybe introduce a scarf joint between keel and the repair.
View attachment 317774
THANK YOU for the reply! Well, to answer your questions, the "transom/stern" piece - I DO plan to make that flush. The Bow section is still a work in progress. I did what i could to chisel off a piece long enough to fill that section, but, it was installed a little crooked. I DO plan to fix that. I REALLY appreciate your feedback! As for the deck, I bought a plank slicer from MicroMark and sliced decking from a very thin piece of (birch?) I sanded it all flat. What I want to do is fil the spaces between the planks with something black that does not make ALL the planks look black.

As for the deck, I bought a plank slicer from MicroMark and sliced decking from a very thin piece of (birch?) I sanded it all flat. What I want to do is fil the spaces between the planks with something black that does not make ALL the planks look black.
If the deck planks are already bonded to the rest of the hull, this blackening will be tricky at best.
Having gone through various build logs, there appears to be three main options:
1. Do nothing, plank as tight as you can get it. Especially the smaller the scale, the more out of proportion the other options may look. At 1:100 of your Bluenose may fall well within this range.
2. Bond black, thin paper to the one edge of the planks. After bonding, scrape planks and paper flush. With larger scale ships this may be a favorable solution.
3. Mark one edge of the plank with a pencil, hardness B or HB appear to give satisfactory results, although a friend of mine had issues of smearing the pencil over the deck surface when he applied the final finish.

There may be more options, but that would require some more intensive browsing on the varioys modeling fora.
Personally, I am currently building a POF Bluenose, where I installed some interior floors and panels. I used method 1 and I am rather satisfied with the results, but it is quite personal. See https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/yq-bluenose-by-johan.8304/page-21#post-245033

If the deck planks are already bonded to the rest of the hull, this blackening will be tricky at best.
Having gone through various build logs, there appears to be three main options:
1. Do nothing, plank as tight as you can get it. Especially the smaller the scale, the more out of proportion the other options may look. At 1:100 of your Bluenose may fall well within this range.
2. Bond black, thin paper to the one edge of the planks. After bonding, scrape planks and paper flush. With larger scale ships this may be a favorable solution.
3. Mark one edge of the plank with a pencil, hardness B or HB appear to give satisfactory results, although a friend of mine had issues of smearing the pencil over the deck surface when he applied the final finish.

There may be more options, but that would require some more intensive browsing on the varioys modeling fora.
Personally, I am currently building a POF Bluenose, where I installed some interior floors and panels. I used method 1 and I am rather satisfied with the results, but it is quite personal. See https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/yq-bluenose-by-johan.8304/page-21#post-245033
Thank you for the reply! The paper technique sounds good, but I may just let it be.

Good day. I hope I placed the post in the proper place. This is my first post relating to an actual build. In looking at the many photos I see here, I am SURE I did a few things WRONG, but I am new, and I will learn. Here are the photos of the build thus far: I hope they show on the page. I am building the Billings Boats Bluenose II. The directions said to mark the deck using a pencil, but I went the extra step by laying my the deck plank by plank.

View attachment 317763

View attachment 317764

View attachment 317765

View attachment 317766

View attachment 317767
Hi Crawford. Always nice to see another Bluenose build. If the log is in the proper place, the moderators will see.
There are other builders of the Billing Boats kit, like Johan did a restoration.
I keep a list of what is happening in terms of Bluenose on this SOS. Not only from YuanQing, but also from other supplier. You can find the list in post 1 of this thread:
The BB’s are in the second half of the list. In the 5th column in blue the link to the build-logs.
So, a lot of BN inspiration and members willing to help. Johan made a nice start with this help.
Regard, Peter

Last edited:
I believe another method for caulking is to use a graphite and glue mixture. I believe @Bryian has talked about it. Hopefully he will explain in better detail than I can.

I wonder if black acrylic and glue would work?

Hi @crawfordwilson3

Welcome to Ships of Scale. You will find this forum helpful and friendly. First of all, nice start on your Bluenose - you are well underway and making good progress.

Next, yes, I need to move your Build Log to the proper forum. This particular forum that you posted to is for a "Group Build" of the Plank on Frame" (POF) Bluenose Group.
However, you are welcome to join that Group, but you will need to contact the moderator Heinrich to purchase the kit and then join that particular group.
One thing to note is that Plank On Frame models can be a little more difficult as EACH frame of the ship or boat is constructed.

If you have any questions about this or the other group, just let me know. I am going to move this post to the
SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood forum.

From my side, also a big welcome to SOS. As you can already see, the Bluenose builders are a great bunch of guys and very active. If you have any questions or queries, please send me a PM (personal message) and I will help as far as I can.

View attachment 317763

View attachment 317764

View attachment 317765

View attachment 317766

View attachment 317767
Very good effort! Basic shape there. I would suggest this is not a novice or 1st kit. The hull is very challenging as is the deck. Keep going! You have done well so far!!! Step down on second model - Pinta is challenging as example.

Very good effort! Basic shape there. I would suggest this is not a novice or 1st kit. The hull is very challenging as is the deck. Keep going! You have done well so far!!! Step down on second model - Pinta is challenging as example.
I was actually trying to build another ship. The Ernestina. i was actually supposed to build the Mamoli Gretel. I looked that up and it was listed as a good "first build" ship. I guess I like a challenge!

Bluenose Update!
I added the deck parts, and I applied the stain. It's a little dark, but the black "tar" between the decking came out nice! (IMHO) What I ended up doing was taking some white glue and adding black pigment and thinning it with water. I used a paint brush to apply it and then sanded it down.
After I applied the stain, I sanded out the obvious coarse sanding marks that the stain highlighted. I also gave a shot of the scuppers I cut out of the forward deck.

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5143.jpg

IMG_5144.jpg

IMG_5145.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

View attachment 317763

View attachment 317764

View attachment 317765

View attachment 317766

View attachment 317767
Hallo @crawfordwilson3
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Are you still working on your Bluenose ?

A (belated) happy birthday from my side as well. Birthday-Cake

By the way, I am very curious about your progress on the Bluenose-project.

Back