New to SOS, about to build a work station

Bill,
you might want to check out http://www.micromark.com they have what I think is an excellent table saw for what you need. They also carry a lot of accessories for the larger TS. They have two. The larger one is what I am talking about.

The thing about ship building is that you will use a "set of tools" for each task. You will see that when building the hull - the saw will come in handy, however, moving into rigging ofcourse requires different things. I am sure that you already know this. I would not buy the byrnes - just my humble opinion.

Donnie,

Thanks for the link. There is also Proxxon as a competitor. Is your non-recommendation of the Byrnes table saw because of the high price, or are there other reasons? I will wait for a while until I've completed at least one of my current models to see what tools I will need for future builds. Having a miniature drill press, scroll saw, table saw, thickness sander, disk sander, etc. is truly appealing since I have all those in my furniture-making shop.

Well, I prefer a Tilting Arbor, Variable Speed, and Adjustable height of the MM. Plus, it seems the MM has more accessories. It does give you 1" height and not the 15/16. Ok, so what is 1/16. Not much, but this is not the main selling point for me. I think the blades are about 1/4 or 1/8 larger in diameter (hence the 1" cut on the MM)

With MM, you are buying from a larger company that can handle more spare parts and blades.

I am not sure if the Byrnes can do these or not. I would ask them. I see that their table platter adjust to give you the angled cuts. I do not like that.

But, all of these are personal preferences. I have never had a problem with MM and know that they would take the unit back if I am not satisfied with it.

Donnie

Donnie,

I'm somewhat spoiled with table saws. I've been using a Delta Unisaw for about 30 years now, and the precision and repeatability are unrivaled in my opinion. The MM sounds like a winner, and having the resources of a larger firm with an established reputation for outstanding customer care is a major plus. The Byrnes design does have a real appeal for me, and I will have plenty of time to decide until I'm ready to make a purchase decision.

Back