New to Modeling- Wooden Sterling 1:192 USS Missouri

I received a partially-completed 1:192 USS Missouri model recently, but don't know where to start. The kit is clearly old, the instructions are typewritten, proclaim it to be "the first model of the USS Missouri", and the art on the outside looks like it's from the early 50's. It's enormous -over 4.5ft long- and punch-cut from balsa sheets of various qualities. The hull is complete, now I need to assemble everything else; superstructure, turrets, etc. The problem is I don't know what to do first, and I have quite a few questions:

1. What's my first step?
2. The kit says to use cement, but isn't glue better? Should I use glue with balsa?
4. How do I make sure the superstructure walls remain at 90 degrees while drying when most of them aren't slotted?
5. Is it recommended to assemble as much as I can before actually gluing it all together?
6. When and with what should I paint?

I'll leave it there with the questions so I don't overload one post. Any wisdom/ suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BB_Guy

There's at least one build log on Model Ship World forum (https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29734-uss-missouri-by-reklein-sterling-1192-scale/)
Step 1: READ the instructions (if you have them). Also have a look through the Build Log I have referenced.

Use wood glue on the wooden parts. CA can also be used if you want to build quickly but I wouldn't rush construction as this is your first. You will need plenty of clamps and/or pins/nails to hold the wood parts while the glue dries.

Keeping things square is important. You can buy 3:4:5 blocks relatively cheaply from machinist supplies. These are perfectly 90 degrees and have nice weight to boot. You can also buy magnetic right angle clamps to put on the inside and outside of wooden panels to keep things square (Micro-Mark).

A model is a composite of parts. These can be glued into sub-assemblies and then the sub assemblies glued to create the whole but again I would refer you back to the instructions.

As to painting: paint sub assemblies before fitting. This is important where there is a join that has two different colours coming together. Painting smaller assemblies also means you can move onto other things while the paint dries.

Post some pictures. of what you have inherited. and as you progress. It will help us provide advice to you.

I received a partially-completed 1:192 USS Missouri model recently, but don't know where to start. The kit is clearly old, the instructions are typewritten, proclaim it to be "the first model of the USS Missouri", and the art on the outside looks like it's from the early 50's. It's enormous -over 4.5ft long- and punch-cut from balsa sheets of various qualities. The hull is complete, now I need to assemble everything else; superstructure, turrets, etc. The problem is I don't know what to do first, and I have quite a few questions:

1. What's my first step?
2. The kit says to use cement, but isn't glue better? Should I use glue with balsa?
4. How do I make sure the superstructure walls remain at 90 degrees while drying when most of them aren't slotted?
5. Is it recommended to assemble as much as I can before actually gluing it all together?
6. When and with what should I paint?

I'll leave it there with the questions so I don't overload one post. Any wisdom/ suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BB_Guy
Hallo @BB_Guy
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back