New to Hobby, Need Bluenose reference information.

Hello Kurt and welcome to the forum. I would invite you to join a local ship modeling club: Shipwrights of Ohio, hosted from Columbus, with members in Oxford, Dayton. Cleveland, Akron, Columbus and Lancaster. We meet the third Saturday of each month with a hybrid meeting. Check out our web site at www.shipwrightsofohio.com. If interested in joining us, let me know at shipwright@breezelineohio.net.

L.B. Jenson published in 1975 a book titled "Bluenose II" Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners with measured drawings. The soft cover document is available through amazon.com. Look forward to hearing from you.
Ordered it... Look forward to reading it.

Is it Model Shipways Amati version MS1447 Kit. Ive ran into many issues with the instructions. Supplied with 3 sheets of prints. The steps in the instructions are ok until you get to figure 88-92 and steps 93-115. Thats where the instructions actually suck. Good luck with your build. If I can be any help…I’m here.
Yes, I have studied the drawings and instructions. I hope to use other references as much a possible to assist in the construction.
Thank You

Hello Kurt. There is a really good practicum available free to download on the internet. It is by Gene Bodnar and is 135 pages. I downloaded it and had it bound before starting my model, which was made from plans bought in Lunenburg, N S where the boat was built. Check it out! Good luck
Found it and downloaded it. Printing as i write. Thank You very much.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello from Milford, Ohio. I retired last year and after about 100 plastic models of planes and ships, I would like to challenge a wood sailing ship. When I was in the US Navy, I saw many wonderful ship models. I hope to be able to create some myself for my grandkids. I am starting with the Amati Bluenose 1:100. Where would I find historical reference data and photographs to supplement the instructions and drawings included in the kit?
Hallo @KurtFink
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you for the Birthday wishes. Spend the day working on my Amati Bluenose. I will be posting photographs shortly of the progress.
The kit construction is going better than I anticipated.

Hello from Milford, Ohio. I retired last year and after about 100 plastic models of planes and ships, I would like to challenge a wood sailing ship. When I was in the US Navy, I saw many wonderful ship models. I hope to be able to create some myself for my grandkids. I am starting with the Amati Bluenose 1:100. Where would I find historical reference data and photographs to supplement the instructions and drawings included in the kit?
warm welcome and have fun

The keel extension was aligned and attached. The bulkhead tops were sanded with 220 grit to remove laser darkness. The false deck was sanded with 400 grit and glued to the tops of the bulkheads and centerline. After drying, the false deck was wiped with water and tacky rag. The centerline was calculated, and a reference line drawn the length of the deck. The First Deck Plank was centered and glued in place. Using a charcoal pencil, scrubbed the edges of each deck plank to simulate caulking as recommended in several books. Deck planking was clamped and allowed to dry for 1 hour after each 4 plank section was completed.

BN_Construc_004.jpg

BN_Construc_005.jpg

BN_Construc_006.jpg

Welcome, Kurt.
You're off with a good start, enjoy the ride!

PS Happy belated birthday!

Are there any suggestions for a planking jig for a 1:100 model such as Amati Bluenose? I do not want to just lie it upside down on something soft if there is a better support recommended.

Hello Kurt Fink, can we call you K3, as there are already two of Kurt's on the forum.

We have Kurt Suleski, aka Darvis Architectvs, K1
Me, Kurt Konrath, aka Kurt Konrath, K2 and
Kurt Fink, K3!

Back