New Rigging Treatise

How is it? Useful?
Hi Y.T.
I have the french version. Good book, but not sufficiently technical to do the knot or other tools or technics demonstrated. Good pics. I am happy with the purchased, but require others books to complete. My dream is to be able to pay for the new set of Jean Boudriot 4 volumes ! But even then, it required some vids or others to complete the technical step-by-step know-how.

Hi Y.T.
I have the french version. Good book, but not sufficiently technical to do the knot or other tools or technics demonstrated. Good pics. I am happy with the purchased, but require others books to complete. My dream is to be able to pay for the new set of Jean Boudriot 4 volumes ! But even then, it required some vids or others to complete the technical step-by-step know-how.
Thanks! I am just starting the rigging on my model and am trying to educate myself in this. Thinking maybe I might get some good ideas.

How is it? Useful?
We have the original french (private published) version

and also the english ancre version of this highly recommended book in the Book Reviews

We have the original french (private published) version

and also the english ancre version of this highly recommended book in the Book Reviews

Thanks! I'll be digging into the book.

I did quick internet search for this book and found a discussion about it on some forum where they concluded that book is great for rigging French ships but for English ones a different one would be required. And they mentioned some books the price for which ranges starting from $200 and some 4 volume is for $2000. Wow!

Edit: 200 euro per book.

Right, it is why I simply whish to have them but without any kind of expectation. ANCRE have now the new series for regular price, which is near 200$ CAD including shipping (125 Euro approx. + shipping). For used ones. it is a mess. People are sometime crazy and inflationist (EBay, Abebooks, etc.)

Last edited:
I did quick internet search for this book and found a discussion about it on some forum where they concluded that book is great for rigging French ships but for English ones a different one would be required. And they mentioned some books the price for which ranges starting from $200 and some 4 volume is for $2000. Wow!

Yes, off course the book I mentioned is for rigging of french 74 ships - based on the Jean Boudriot 74-gunner
The most important book which was mentioned for english ships is the Lees

But you can find cheaper copies if you make some research, appr. 50 US$

The mentioned Lavery is not describing rigging

Right, it is why I simply whish to have them but without any kind of expectation. ANCRE have now the new series for regular price, which is near 200$ CAD including shipping (125 Euro approx. + shipping). For used ones. it is a mess. People are sometime crazy and inflationist (EBay, Abebooks, etc.)
Are those just reprints of the original series or do they feature new updates?

Yes, off course the book I mentioned is for rigging of french 74 ships - based on the Jean Boudriot 74-gunner

But you can find cheaper copies if you make some research, appr. 50 US$

The mentioned Lavery is not describing rigging

I have the Lee's book. A must have. This one with the Lenarth book should be enough. The book about clipper rigging from Underhill... I really appreciate too.

I just ordered this book per your recommendation. I am about to start rigging my 1:90 scale Victory. I want to do it as close as possible to historical truth. The literature I have does not seem to be enough to understand the rigging purpose and carry it out on the scaled model.

I bought this one for $59.00 (US)

Received this book this week. Its translated from French

View attachment 408927
I have this book, but find that the photos are not always clear in the details. Larger photos would have been better. I bought it as a guide to my rigging of 'Le Superbe', as the ship featured is her. (Mantua's drawings of the rigging are awful). Since, I have bought copies of Harald A Underhill's plans, & trying to use them in conjunction. There are subtle differences between French & English ships, eg, French have the bowsprit jib offset to starboard (Mantua shows it to port!), English have it directly above. My build has turned out to be frustrating in the least, so I've given it a rest & getting on with my scratch build of American schooner.

I have this book, but find that the photos are not always clear in the details. Larger photos would have been better. I bought it as a guide to my rigging of 'Le Superbe', as the ship featured is her. (Mantua's drawings of the rigging are awful). Since, I have bought copies of Harald A Underhill's plans, & trying to use them in conjunction. There are subtle differences between French & English ships, eg, French have the bowsprit jib offset to starboard (Mantua shows it to port!), English have it directly above. My build has turned out to be frustrating in the least, so I've given it a rest & getting on with my scratch build of American schooner.
Because this book is not about rigging in general.Only thing that is 100% dedicated to french 74 rigging is balying plan. Other things connected to riiging on this book require some knowlage from J Boudriots 74 Volumes. They're more like hints and tips that can guid you how to make certain elements. This book is mostly tutorial about making jigs,sails, boats,blokcs nad other things from scratch. It's very useful, but most of this things can be found on forums. So if you're intrested only in rigging a french 74 choose J.Boudriot's 3-rd Volume

Mine cost me, new, £25.00 last year.
Because this book is not about rigging in general.Only thing that is 100% dedicated to french 74 rigging is balying plan. Other things connected to riiging on this book require some knowlage from J Boudriots 74 Volumes. They're more like hints and tips that can guid you how to make certain elements. This book is mostly tutorial about making jigs,sails, boats,blokcs nad other things from scratch. It's very useful, but most of this things can be found on forums. So if you're intrested only in rigging a french 74 choose J.Boudriot's 3-rd Volume
Yes, I fully agree, but only found out all that after having purchased it. Saying that, I have found the book very useful as my 'Superbe' has become a semi-scratch build. The cost of JB's 3rd vol is too much for a '1-off' build for me.

There's a copy of vol 1 on ebay uk £24.99 French edition if anyone is interested. Now had it been vol 3, I would have grabbed it!
Mine cost me, new, £25.00 last year.

Yes, I fully agree, but only found out all that after having purchased it. Saying that, I have found the book very useful as my 'Superbe' has become a semi-scratch build. The cost of JB's 3rd vol is too much for a '1-off' build for me.

Back