New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

DSC_7404.jpg
And soon this by patrick villier:
les-saint-philippe-et-les-vaisseaux-de-1er-rang-de-louis-xiii-a-louis-xiv.jpg

Warships for the King "Ann Wyatt (1658-1757) Her Life and Her Ships" by Tobias Philbin and plans by Richard Endsor (with drawings of the 74-GUN SHIP HMS CUMBERLAND 1695) published by SeaWatch Books

Highly recommened - a very interesting book

See also the Book Review we have here in SOS:

A couple of new books for the bookshelf.
Just trying to decide on a project to get me started again.

Leaning toward POF as a new
challenge to get me jumpstarted.
New year, new perspective.

View attachment 349499View attachment 349500

Very helpful and a must-have when you build the Jotika / Caldercraft POB-kit or the CAF POF-kit model of the Granado (either the full or also the section model)

The Bomb Vessel GRANADO (Anatomy of the Ship)
by Peter Goodwin

USS Enterprise CV-6 by David Doyle

After starting my 1/350 model of USS Enterprise, I discovered the kit provided quite a bit more detail than I expected, so opted to pause the build and gather some research material. This book, from the Naval Legends of Warfare series, arrived this week and so far I am very pleased with the quality (hardback) and content of the publication.

The contents include design and construction, pre-war and WW2 periods, including the Doolittle Raid (with USS Hornet), Midway, Santa Cruz and the Battle of Guadalcanal. The Big E's participation in all aspects of WW2 are covered with a ton of great photographs provided, mostly in black and white. Post war years are also included right up until her scrapping in 1959/60.

I've collected a few of David Doyles publications over the years and this one, published in 2020, maintains the high quality Mr. Doyle seems to apply to all his products.

For anyone modelling the USS Enterprise CV-6 this is a valuable reference and highly recommended.

Legends of Warfare - CV-6.jpeg

Last edited:
Just received the Bonhomme Richard Monograph from Ancre.
Kind of interesting that I just received two different kits shipped from China and this package was opened for inspection where the model kits were not. Go figure. :rolleyes:

View attachment 352023
This monograph will be of very good help building the section model of the Bonhomme Richard

You have the possibility with the kit to build 3 different versions of this ship, based on the content in the section kit
A) all guns installed on both gun decks - 50 gun ship
B) as east indiamen Duc de Duras
C) as Bonhomme Richard

IMG_34741.jpg

This monograph will be of very good help building the section model of the Bonhomme Richard

You have the possibility with the kit to build 3 different versions of this ship, based on the content in the section kit
A) all guns installed on both gun decks - 50 gun ship
B) as east indiamen Duc de Duras
C) as Bonhomme Richard

View attachment 352091

Thanks Uwe.
That’s the reason for the purchase. Research, research. ;) Most likely going with Bonhomme Richard.
Whenever I do decide to build it. ;)

Last edited:
That is a real good book. Togheter with John harland Seamanship in the Age of Sail you will have a lot of information about rigging. At Bol.com there is also a copy of RC Anderson rigging in spritsail days, just for a few euro's. Whit These books you can almost find anything you have to know about the 17th and 18th century rigging.
Added to my library 'Seamanship in the Age of Sail" by John Harland.
As Stephan said this is a nice addition to Lees "Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War", reference material for the rigging.
This book now also provides a lot of information on the way it was used.

1674121792853.jpeg

Added to my library 'Seamanship in the Age of Sail" by John Harland.
As Stephan said this is a nice addition to Lees "Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War", reference material for the rigging.
This book now also provides a lot of information on the way it was used.

View attachment 352219
I fully confirm your words: Both are really a very good books - highly recommended

And an other addition. "The Master Shipwright's Secrets - How Charles II built the Restoration Navy" by Richard Endsor.
A very informative book on this period of shipbuilding, focused on the fourth rate ships, especially on the "Tyger". This book also provides expandable drawings for the "Tyger" as well as for the 4th rates "St. Albans" and "Mordaunt".

1674125310180.jpeg

I just finished reading "The Wooden Warship Construction" of Brian Lavery. I realize I am becoming a bit of a bookworm, but there are so many aspects you can loose yourself in in this hobby.. It does slow down the work in the shipyard, but I was never making great progress to begin with ;) . Work has certainly not stopped, I have started planking the deck of the "7 Provinciën".

And an other addition. "The Master Shipwright's Secrets - How Charles II built the Restoration Navy" by Richard Endsor.
A very informative book on this period of shipbuilding, focused on the fourth rate ships, especially on the "Tyger". This book also provides expandable drawings for the "Tyger" as well as for the 4th rates "St. Albans" and "Mordaunt".

View attachment 352220

I just finished reading "The Wooden Warship Construction" of Brian Lavery. I realize I am becoming a bit of a bookworm, but there are so many aspects you can loose yourself in in this hobby.. It does slow down the work in the shipyard, but I was never making great progress to begin with ;) . Work has certainly not stopped, I have started planking the deck of the "7 Provinciën".

Ahoy!

1674125310180.jpeg

We agree with Herman. Very good drawings. We recommend this book. We want to inform you that all decorative elements for the HMS Tiger model are available now. Also barrels and 3D printed hull. If you are interested, please contact us by e-mail ;)
d1.jpgd2.jpgd3.jpg3d Tiger 4.jpg3d Tiger 5.jpg

Back