Hello to all. I’ve been doing model ships for a couple of years and have maybe progressed to second lieutenant. I am currently working on Rusty the Shrimp Boat. I have just finished the hull and since I have no interest in RC, I don’t want to glass it. Since the hull is planked with balsa I want to harden it to limit dings while working topside. Can I just apply jell coat and if so can I paint over the jell coat or paint a finish on hull before applying jell.

I would also like to warmly welcome you to the forum and have fun.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome to the SOS forum :)! We are looking forward to getting to know you.

Hello to all. I’ve been doing model ships for a couple of years and have maybe progressed to second lieutenant. I am currently working on Rusty the Shrimp Boat. I have just finished the hull and since I have no interest in RC, I don’t want to glass it. Since the hull is planked with balsa I want to harden it to limit dings while working topside. Can I just apply jell coat and if so can I paint over the jell coat or paint a finish on hull before applying jell.
Welcome but also a shot at answering your question. Skip the gel (jell). A balsa planked hull is indeed a soft surface. I must assume that you intend to display your model as a static display on a shelf?? If so then the chances of dings drops a lot. I would simply cover the balsa with a few coats of matte finish polyurethane. I use MinWax water based matte finish polyurethane. This will tend to harden the balsa a bit…it will soak into the soft fibers of the balsa. Then you can use a good acrylic paint for a finish coat over the poly. Last, you can coat over the paint with another coat of poly. That process should take care of your concerns as well as provide a first rate finish for your model!

Last edited:
Hallo @fishntime
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back