New Member JonathanF

Hi there,
I began building Artesana's HMS Endeavour some 9 years ago and soon realized I was in way above my head. I had built the hull. I packed it away carefully with the rest of the kit and it has sat for these 9 years. During this period, I have taken up Woodworking and become (tho' I say so myself) a fairly accomplished woodworker. Building furniture, outdoor structures, I finally completed one this Fall and decided I had enough of lugging large pieces of lumber around. I decided to start my Endeavour again. (Forgive the pun).
Then I discovered ModelExpo and thought it would be prudent to build a couple of their beginner kits first. I started one and soon became bored - it was too simple! In addition, the last 9 years has brought us YouTube and with its array of videos, I am now working on HMS Endeavour again and finding much to learn on the channel.
I see the errors I made, and hope that apart from an expert, I will be able to move on (and I have) with this project so that no-one will notice the mistakes. (I have learnt how to cover up my woodworking errors and the methods are much the same).
Now, I pier at parts and tasks that are mere millimeters in size through magnifying glasses. My woodshed is a warm haven and I don't have to venture outside to move parts of large projects and so on. Life is easier.....but I find it requires a lot more motivation to work on this small-sized project than it did on the larger ones where results are more quickly visible.
The instructions are really poor, but I am indomitable and think carefully about my next move. This boat will be finished and I see how much my woodworking experience is helping me to progress.
The latest instruction is to drill holes in the deck for the masts, with a reference to the angles of the masts. Nothing more, and nothing on YouTube. Nonetheless, I will figure it out. Seems as if other models have the masts being installed before the hull is planked, but not this one. I will see if I can judge the angle from the illustration on the box and figure out how to secure the masts upon insertion. Hah! If at first succeed, try, try again. I would love to varnish the hull at this point, but am unsure. Any pointers? Hmm, I think there are additional attachments to be made, so perhaps not.
Anyway, that's me. I am excited about this forum and look forward to using it and communicating further with others.
Cheers!

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
The best help you will get, with starting a building log, showing your work on the model and the status, and there will be a lot of interested and helpful members giving hints and comments or answering your questions.......

Welcome aboard! Let us see where your are (a picture is worth many words after all) and someone will be glad to chime in and help.

Hi there,
I began building Artesana's HMS Endeavour some 9 years ago and soon realized I was in way above my head. I had built the hull. I packed it away carefully with the rest of the kit and it has sat for these 9 years. During this period, I have taken up Woodworking and become (tho' I say so myself) a fairly accomplished woodworker. Building furniture, outdoor structures, I finally completed one this Fall and decided I had enough of lugging large pieces of lumber around. I decided to start my Endeavour again. (Forgive the pun).
Then I discovered ModelExpo and thought it would be prudent to build a couple of their beginner kits first. I started one and soon became bored - it was too simple! In addition, the last 9 years has brought us YouTube and with its array of videos, I am now working on HMS Endeavour again and finding much to learn on the channel.
I see the errors I made, and hope that apart from an expert, I will be able to move on (and I have) with this project so that no-one will notice the mistakes. (I have learnt how to cover up my woodworking errors and the methods are much the same).
Now, I pier at parts and tasks that are mere millimeters in size through magnifying glasses. My woodshed is a warm haven and I don't have to venture outside to move parts of large projects and so on. Life is easier.....but I find it requires a lot more motivation to work on this small-sized project than it did on the larger ones where results are more quickly visible.
The instructions are really poor, but I am indomitable and think carefully about my next move. This boat will be finished and I see how much my woodworking experience is helping me to progress.
The latest instruction is to drill holes in the deck for the masts, with a reference to the angles of the masts. Nothing more, and nothing on YouTube. Nonetheless, I will figure it out. Seems as if other models have the masts being installed before the hull is planked, but not this one. I will see if I can judge the angle from the illustration on the box and figure out how to secure the masts upon insertion. Hah! If at first succeed, try, try again. I would love to varnish the hull at this point, but am unsure. Any pointers? Hmm, I think there are additional attachments to be made, so perhaps not.
Anyway, that's me. I am excited about this forum and look forward to using it and communicating further with others.
Cheers!
Dear @JonathanF
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back