New Illustrations of the Black Pearl to be released here.

I have been at it for about a month now scouring the web for images of the Disney fictional ship, The Black Pearl. It's a nice looking craft, and supposed to be fast (of course Disney built the ship on top of a real vessel with diesel engines and props for the movie. But, this illustration is for anyones use. It is a compilation of all the available reference images I have found on the internet, which is why it took me so long. Disney would not just give away the proprietary blueprints to the real watercraft, so I had to reverse engineer it from photos. Their are a few things missing from this starboard elevation, that being all of the details of the masts, booms , rigging, ornamental trim pieces, etc. Those I will add later. Next I will do a top view of the ship which will be at the same scale. My hope is that these images will clarify for anyone in detail the accuracy of the fictional ship. Why, I will have to make up the rudder hinges, because I have no reference photos of those, so I have much work ahead of me. Thanks and enjoy folks!

BLACKPEARL.png

Now that I have a top deck and side elevation I am working on a view of the stern then the bow. However, the information from the web I have did not work out, so I had to 'loft the lines' of the hull so I could draw an accurate view of the stern. This is a work in progress. The ship has three decks. From the bottom, a hold (for storing ballast, cargo etc., then the Orlop deck (which I don't know what the name means exactly), then a gun deck, a main deck, and a poop deck. BLACKPEARLAFT.jpg

The above image is to show the exterior elevation of the stern, while this image serves to show the shape of the hull from its widest point to its stern. Each line is 4' in 1:1 scale for the full size ship, if you were looking at its side elevation.

1002.jpg

Does anyone know the meaning of "orlop" deck?
The orlop is the lowest deck in a ship (before hold). It is the deck or part of a deck where the cables are stowed, usually below the water line. Here is the red color.

1704945742169.png

1704945781426.png
The orlop of the Swedish 17th century warship Vasa looking toward the bow.

And proof positive that deck planks were not all cut to the same width. No dimensioned lumber in hand power days!

Back