Need help is there a name on this?

So I often see on ships from 1650-1700
a bridge or gangway from the quarter deck to the Forecastle, is there a proper name for this? And what was it used for/ did it give any structural support, it's placement to be placed to help the ship from flexing.
I know that the open space between the Quarter deck and Fore castle was often a weak spot in ships of this period, I've also can picture their being Musket men posted on their in an action.

In both pictures below you can see examples, tho there are more but I can't remember.

1200px-The_Royal_Katherine.jpg

gEL4A2118.jpg

So I often see on ships from 1650-1700
a bridge or gangway from the quarter deck to the Forecastle, is there a proper name for this? And what was it used for/ did it give any structural support, it's placement to be placed to help the ship from flexing.
I know that the open space between the Quarter deck and Fore castle was often a weak spot in ships of this period, I've also can picture their being Musket men posted on their in an action.

In both pictures below you can see examples, tho there are more but I can't remember.

View attachment 352763

View attachment 352764
It is called "Gangway"

A gangway is a narrow passage that joins the quarterdeck to the forecastle of a sailing ship. The term is also extended to mean the narrow passages used to board or disembark ships.

Modern shipping uses gangways to embark and disembark passengers. Twentieth century extendible gangways used in the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney, Australia are now on the State's heritage list

Duquesne-IMG_4945.jpg
The port and starboard gangways of the Duquesne can be seen at the right and left of the ship's boats. The port side is fully careened, while the starboard side shows the inner structure of the woodwork.

also very interesting

I am very curious about the second picture, where the gangway is on the centre line.
We normally expect them on both sides.
Can you let us know which ship is modelled there?

I am very curious about the second picture, where the gangway is on the centre line.
We normally expect them on both sides.
Can you let us know which ship is modelled there?
It's the model of william rex 1698 in the dutch maritime museum, the gangway on the center line was more what I was inquiring into, why put it in the center of the ship instead of on the sides like. Most ships, but I've never found a solid answer

Back