Need a new build - modern craft

Serious question: what is the highest grade and quality model with fittings etc? My wife just gave me the free and clear to purchase any model I want - I had open heart surgery last week which gives me a start of 10 weeks off work.

Of course my mind went directly to the Satio Sampson II. Since then folks have talked about cauldercraft resolve, dean’s marine Trein Maersk, happy Hunter, Mantua Anteo, Billings Fairmount Alping and a few others. All advise and suggestions wanted.
Note: if I went with Satio I would use electric and not steam - don’t like steam power plants.

My name is Mark and I live in the Atlanta Georgia area. I love building boats. The worst kits I have purchased is the AL Atlantic -
Still in box ready to build. I am looking for the best fittings and decorations.

I hope to start a club around the Cedartown / Carrollton area.

Welcome to the best boat site around.

What period of Modern are you talking about, you can do the USS Constitution, which is both old style but a current modern boat, or maybe the USCG Eagle, a kit with plastic hull but all the topside and masts are old school?

Welcome aboard :)
I recommend you look in the section for selling models on our site by friends, the price is usually cheaper than any official site

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

My name is Mark and I live in the Atlanta Georgia area. I love building boats. The worst kits I have purchased is the AL Atlantic -
Still in box ready to build. I am looking for the best fittings and decorations.

I hope to start a club around the Cedartown / Carrollton area.
Welcome to the best boat site around.

What period of Modern are you talking about, you can do the USS Constitution, which is both old style but a current modern boat, or maybe the USCG Eagle, a kit with plastic hull but all the topside and masts are old school?
I am talking more about the last 50 years or so. Tug boats, container ships, this kind. I am looking at Cauldercraft Resolve, Billings Fairmount Alpine, Cauldercraft Victory and a Satio build.

There are a few kits out there, don't know what quality or scale they are in.

Container ships would have to be small scale due to large size of prototype. I do HO model railroading and at 1:87 scale a container ship is still huge.

You are correct. A container ship offered by Dean’s Marine called the Trein Mearsk is 1/100 and comes out at 67”.

Welcome aboard SOS!
I think I am going with the Billing’s Fairmount Alpine or one of the up cost Satio which I will NOT use steam in. I don’t like the steam plants. Heads: Billing’s. Tails: Satio - help a guy out - heads or Tails.

Welcome aboard! Good luck with your decision making process. Either one should give you plenty of enjoyment.

Back