Natterer - A Lake Windermere (England) Steam Launch

Uwe and Dave,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Have managed to add my builds.
- But I still can't get my head around the link instructions (probably something to do with the Abacus for a brain that I'm using)
Could you explain in words of one syllable to an idiot?
Ted
No problem..... let us make it for the text you have now in moment in your footnote

Building now: Kingfisher/King's Fisher - LSS 1:48

would be:
this is the example in "Terms and Rules":
[ URL=https://www.example.com]Go to example.com[/URL]

Building now: [ URL=https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...er-tedboat.3244/#post-63263]Kingfisher/King's Fisher - LSS 1:48[/URL]
Built and posted: [ URL=https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ngland-steam-launch.3260/#post-66179]Natterer - Scratch built steam launch[/URL]

Unbenannt4.JPG

I made a space between the first square bracket and the "URL", which you have to delete, otherwise it would not show the used code. Please delete this one single space, and than you will see this with links!

Built and posted: Natterer - Scratch built steam launch

Hope this is helkping

No problem..... let us make it for the text you have now in moment in your footnote

would be:
this is the example in "Terms and Rules":
[ URL=https://www.example.com]Go to example.com[/URL]

Building now: [ URL=https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...er-tedboat.3244/#post-63263]Kingfisher/King's Fisher - LSS 1:48[/URL]
Built and posted: [ URL=https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ngland-steam-launch.3260/#post-66179]Natterer - Scratch built steam launch[/URL]

View attachment 102075

I made a space between the first square bracket and the "URL", which you have to delete, otherwise it would not show the used code. Please delete this one single space, and than you will see this with links!

Built and posted: Natterer - Scratch built steam launch

Hope this is helkping
Something weird going on - I have successfully added a link to Kingfisher, but unable to a link to Natterer. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Ted

Time for parts 9 and 10.

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 9

Right; At the end of the last instalment I think I’d just about got to the stage where I had a functioning engine, and a functioning boiler – that’s good, all I have to do is put them together and we’ve a powerplant! Well, no actually – we’ve got an engine and a boiler: full stop.

The next fun bit is to put it all together, and suddenly you realise the combined weight of engine, boiler, hull and ancillaries is rather considerable, (around 80lbs weight – alright 36 Kgs) and the workshop is in an attic room. Ann didn’t seem particularly overjoyed at the thought of the boat residing in the dining room (spoilsport) and I didn’t fancy moving 80 lbs up and down two flights of stairs. A cunning plan was called for! Why not make the entire powerplant removable? The powerplant and the hull each weighed around 40 lbs, so readily transportable, and there were plus points in that it made the powerplant so much easier to work on outside the hull.

A baseplate was built using a brass sheet sitting on two brass angles, to which were attached the engine and boiler. The baseplate was secured in the hull by horizontal tapered pins engaging in holes in a brass plate secured to one of the frames at the front end, and sitting over two studs at the rear. Thus the entire plant could be lifted in and secured by two nuts, with a sliding dog-clutch joint to connect to the prop-shaft. Of course, this meant in turn that all the controls for the engine/boiler had also to be mounted on the baseplate, but we’ll come to that particular headache later.

The baseplate gave me loads of room to mount all the other ancillaries, and the feed pumps (hand and engine driven) were mounted, together with oil condenser/trap, by-pass valve and all the associated plumbing.

I also elected to carry a twenty/twenty-five minute reserve of feedwater in the boat, carried in two inter-connected saddle tanks either side of the boiler. These were folded up from copper sheet using a metal folder in the maintenance section at work, and soft-soldered. They’re an awkward shape to construct, but look well in the boat, painted a sort of red-lead colour. Connection from the tanks to the feed pumps is by means of a quick release coupling, as used by the steam loco lads between tender and engine.

All the plumbing was by now causing my head to hurt, so I carefully drew out a plumbing diagram using Excel on the computer. I’ll be able to refer to it in years to come when my brain becomes even more addled than it is currently! (more like weeks at the present rate)

IMG_2134.JPG

One of the two water tanks - 9" long

Natterer - Old021resized.jpg

Main wooden bearers for engine and boiler, with attached brass reinforcing angle

Natterer - Old014.jpg

Brass plate binding the lot together - sorry about the photo quality!

Natterer - Old016.jpg

Underside of the baseplate, showing prongs that engage with the aligning plate in next photo

Natterer - Old017.jpg

Water Supply001.jpg

The plumbing nightmare

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 10

As previously alluded to, the firing for the boiler was to be by gas, and a lot of heat was going to be required. The burners were to be a couple of 5/8” turbo burners, firing into a sealed firing tube in the bottom of the boiler. (Remember Smaug?) (Hands up anyone who doesn’t know who Smaug was) These proved tricky to regulate reliably, to the point where they would readily extinguish at low gas flows, so a much smaller burner was mounted piggy-back style on top of the main burners, set to run continuously as a pilot light.

As I had decided the power-plant was to be removable, the burner assembly has to move back when the plant is installed or removed, so it slides backwards and forwards on two steel bars, and can be locked in position

The main burners were then controlled by a servo-driven valve controlled by a Cheddar ABC automatic boiler control set-up. For anyone not familiar with the ABC unit, it is basically an electronic box of tricks that continuously monitors the boiler pressure in the boiler (through a temperature sensor) and increases the gas flow if the pressure drops, and decreases it if the pressure rises. It also monitors the water level in the boiler sight glass and regulates the water flow in to the boiler from the boiler pump by means of a servo-driven by-pass valve. ( Natterer has two sight glasses, one fully working for display in the front cockpit, and a further one hidden from view in the engine room, mounting the water level detector) As an added bonus, it also monitors the water remaining in the water feed tanks, and shuts down the whole system if the reserve goes too low.

The gas supply comes from a pair of gas canisters mounted in the bows, feeding to a common feed pipe. I decided on two canisters to try and overcome the freezing effect inherent in evaporating gas from a container, and have so far had no problems. If necessary, I could invert the canisters, and feed liquid gas to an evaporator warmed by the burners, but that’s for the future.

Of course, as this was my first steam driven model, I had galloping paranoia over the prospect of the system shutting down unexpectedly, which could be a bit of a problem if it occurred in the middle of a lake or river, so as I had some room under the rear passenger well of the launch, I decided to put in an emergency drive system in the form of a geared electric motor, driving through an electro-magnetic clutch, and geared to the prop-shaft. In the event of an emergency, I only have to flick a switch on the transmitter, and control of the boat transfers from the steam valve to an electronic speed controller, the clutch engages, and I can bring her in. The power comes from a small lead-acid gel battery, which gives sufficient power for 5-10 minutes sailing.

The steam engine remains connected to the propshaft when the emergency electrics are employed. I had some doubts at development stage as to whether this was practical, as I was concerned that I could be trying to turn a ‘steam-locked’ engine as well as the propshaft, but the system has worked well on test (never had to use it in anger!) The resistance from the steam engine is high, and the electric (geared) motor pulls a lot of amps, which accounts for the short duration of the stand-by battery – but then I only need a minute or so to bring her in.

The electronic clutch was obtained from a friend who worked in the electronics control industry, and is only about 1.5” in diameter. I’ve looked for a ‘spare’ just in case, but never found one – the majority appear to be in the 3” upwards range. I’m told the older photocopiers may be a useful source!

As with the plumbing, concerns over future memory capacity ensured I produced a full circuit diagram for the whole set-up! – one for the motor wiring, and one for the R/C changeover. I’m afraid my grasp of electronics is fairly basic, and I tend to rely on simple things like relays, rather than anything more sophisticated.

Although out of sequence in this tale, it was found that when the launch was sailed, the emergency system worked so well that an experiment was made with a battery pack of four 12v lead-acid gel batteries replacing the steam plant (same weight!) The boat sailed perfectly all day, and provides a perfectly acceptable alternative drive should I not want to use the steam plant.

IMG_1042resized.jpg

Burner in retracted position

IMG_1056.JPG

And engaged with the boiler

IMG_1084.JPG

Gas tanks under forepeak

IMG_1061.JPG

R/C gear in place. Receiver later replaced; boiler control to starboard; charging plugs behind batteries. Rudder servo and linkage.

IMG_1198.JPG

Electric emergency drive with electronic clutch and gearing to shaft.

Power & Power RC001.jpg

Circuit diagram002resized.jpg

IMG_5614resized.jpg

Replacement battery pack if I don't want to steam her - 4 x 12v gel batteries, smoke generator in centre, sound module on right.

Right, all for now - hope you enjoy

Ted

Just WOW!! Many. many thanks to bringing this Oddysey here. There is so much to learn! Ted. Do you have any video of Natterer in 'action'?

Just WOW!! Many. many thanks to bringing this Oddysey here. There is so much to learn! Ted. Do you have any video of Natterer in 'action'?
Thanks Jim - much appreciated.
regretfully I don't have any video of her, just the photos. Will have to try and get some!

Regards

Ted

Uwe, Jim, Anybody!
My recent postings on both 'Natterer' and 'King's Fisher' seem to have disappeared into space - is it connected with the recent problems on the site?
Can they be recovered if that is the case?

Ted

Uwe, Jim, Anybody!
My recent postings on both 'Natterer' and 'King's Fisher' seem to have disappeared into space - is it connected with the recent problems on the site?
Can they be recovered if that is the case?

Ted
Hallo TED,
Unfortunately we lost the Data of appr. 5 days period. Sorry for this.
Please be so Kind to repost them once more......sorry for this inconvinience...
Mans thanks in advance

Hooray! - my IT friend has got me up and running again on word, so I can access the 'Natterer' articles again and re-post the parts that disappeared!

So here goes:

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 11

You will remember that I had decided to assemble the engine and boiler onto a baseplate, so I could remove the power-plant in one go. I had spent a lot of time and thought on exactly how I was going to control the engine and boiler, and in the end determined that the servos to control the reversing lever, boiler feed by-pass valve and whistle would all sit on the baseplate and come out with the power-plant. By dint of careful planning of pipework and placement of valves it was possible to get all the servos together in one block, which could then be hidden by the ubiquitous ‘wooden box’, with short connecting links coming out of the box to connect with the appropriate valves and levers.

The boiler also had to carry the boiler pressure temperature sensor, and the water level sensor, so in all that made five sets of leads coming off the power-plant. They all converged into the ubiquitous box, and were connected into the back of a “D” type 15 pin plug.

The steam throttle valve was a standard globe valve on the steam line from boiler to engine, and was so arranged that it engaged via a simple dog clutch onto the output from a sail winch servo, fastened into the structure of the hull. The sail winch then had a sufficient number of turns to fully open the globe valve.

So we now had a power-plant that would slide down into the hull, engage with the tapered pins previously mentioned, and then sit on the two studs, picking up the steam valve servo en route via the dog clutch. All I had to do was then plug in the electronics via the 15 pin plug, connect the drive to the propshaft and connect the water tanks via a quick-release coupling. Takes about a minute! (or two, and a lot of swearing if my thumb gets in the way)

Reference to the photos should hopefully make the arrangement clear! (Or not, depending on the level of my erudition) The steam valve was arranged to end up in its own ‘locker’ on the hull, and be hidden by a removable lid. The second globe valve you can see in the same steam line is permanently fully open and is cosmetic, being visible through the engine room casing.

By now there were 6 servos, 3 sensors, 2 relays, a speed controller, an electro-magnetic clutch, an electric motor, a boiler control module, a receiver and various batteries floating around within the confines of the hull, all hoping to eventually meet up for fun and friendship, possibly leading to more. All the leads had to go somewhere, and this was under the decking at the stern.

A mounting plate (green in the photos) was made up, holding the radio receiver, ABC Boiler Control System, their associated battery packs, and various on/off switches and charging sockets. I started with a Fleet radio system, purchased many years ago when I thought I was somewhere near finishing(!!!) However, since 2.4 has arrived on the scene, I’ve changed to that, mainly to avoid frequency clashes. I’ve used the Fleet outfit in other boats, as well as Natterer, and it is still going strong, having never let me down.

I fitted wooden channels with covers through each side of the rear cockpit to carry all the wires, running under the slatted seats, so the wiring is hidden.

IMG_5607resized.jpg

the 'ubiquitous box', hiding all the servos and connection block

IMG_5608resized.jpg

Sorry - slightly blurred, but it shows the 'ubiquitous box' with cover removed. Three servos power whistle, reversing lever and water by-pass valve; the blurry valve on the left.
15-pin 'D' plug on top.

IMG_0492resized.jpg

Steam valve driven by sail winch servo. The sail winch sits permanently in the hull, and engages with the steam valve via a dog clutch as the engine unit is dropped in. The whole lot is covered over with another box.
The second steam valve is a dummy, and can be seen from the cockpit.

IMG_5625resized.jpg

Boiler with water tanks to sides.

IMG_5629resized.jpg

Engine with servos and controls hidden by boxes. or lockers.
The box/locker on the left hides the control gear for the emergency electric drive.

IMG_5562resized.jpg

R/C equipment, with receiver, boiler control CPU, batteries, charging pins, rudder servo and R/C relay to change from steam to electric.

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 12

By this stage, I’d temporarily had enough of the mechanicals, and decided it was time to work on the decks and topworks. But since varnishing the hull, I’d been talking to a friend about the problems I was having with a vintage electric launch, constructed with similar sized planks to Natterer. Every winter, after a season on the river, she would dry out and the planks would shrink. The next season she would leak like a sieve until she took up again. My friend is very much in to model yachting and suggested I should try one of their techniques by glassing the hull on the outside. Apparently the model aircraft boys use this as well to cover the wings. Very wary about this, but decided to experiment on an old hull. I used a very fine glassfibre cloth, almost like a thin sheet of satin, draped over the hull and stippled through with resin. It becomes instantly see-through, and can be moved around to cover the contours of the hull. When dried, it can be further resined to cover any “starved” areas, and then polished to a high gloss. The finish is superb, with no seam lines, and in fact it is impossible to tell it is there other than on a sharp edge, which will end slightly rounded!

Anyway, I next tried it on the vintage launch and it was fantastic! No more shrinkage/leakage problems. So after a couple of seasons with the launch, and no ill effects, I took the bull by the horns and turned Natterer upside down before slavering paint stripper on all my nice varnish. (Yes – it took a lot of nerve!) When every last trace of varnish was off, I draped the cloth over her and started with the resin, working from the keel outwards. It was quite amazing the way the cloth could be moulded to the hull, and I found that one piece of cloth covered the whole hull in one go, with the only ‘seam’ being on the stem (which of course is covered by the brass stem piece. I seemed to be polishing for a week, but what a finish! Obviously, you couldn’t use this technique on a lot of scale boats, as the finish would be too high, but the steam launches were ‘big boy’s toys’ and generally finished to a very high standard, so quite acceptable.

I’m afraid no pictures for this stage (I was as nervous as h***, and forgot to take any!

So lets go straight on to the next part.

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 13

Anyway, on to the topworks. Natterer is flush-decked fore and aft, and also in the mid-section, over the power-plant, with fore and aft cockpits for crew and passengers.

Nothing particularly of note about the basic deck framework and planking, as it was all straightforward framing, albeit of quite large size. The planking on the mid-section was parallel, but that on the fore and aft decks was gently curved to follow the line of the gunwales, before being joggled into a kingplank on the centreline, and so had to be cut out of extra-wide stock. Black card was used on the planking edges to represent the caulking.

The gunwales themselves were a challenge, as they were 20 x 3mm in section and I wanted them in one piece from bow to stern. This entailed persuading them to follow the line of the gunwale, meaning they had to be curved in the plane of the minor axis (i.e. flat) This meant steaming, and a steam chest was rigged up using a length of copper pipe, well lagged, and a domestic wallpaper steam stripper to produce the necessary steam. The shape of the gunwale was transferred to the building board, and a series of blocks screwed down each side, which would enable the timber to be clamped in position after steaming. The gunwale was to be bent on a rather tighter radius to allow for the inevitable relaxation that would occur when the clamps were loosened.

The gunwales were steamed for about fifteen minutes, and then quickly transferred to the board, where myself and a friend clamped them up. Absolute poetry in motion, as the pair of us danced and wove around each other wielding wedges and hammers – actually a lot of tripping up, hitting of thumbs and even a few naughty words. When dry, they were released, and relaxed as anticipated to take up the required shape, before they were firmly screwed to infill blocks between the gunwale strake and the internal stringer. Job done!

The remaining timber works on the deck included making access hatches in four locations, each with an inset brass lie-flat handle. No commercial items available at this sort of scale (if indeed at any scale) so they were hacked and milled out of brass sheet, and yes, they do work! There is a very pretty looking skylight over the engine so you can look at the whirly bits while they’re working (shades of looking at the engines on the Isle of Wight ferries when I was younger (much younger)

While making the handles for the hatches, I realised it was really quite difficult to envisage the size of fittings required, as with the odd scale of 1:4.5 the crew was going to be rather large – in fact the captain is 16” (400mm). The solution was to produce “George”, an articulated two-dimensional figure, which could be sat in the boat as necessary and enabled me to sort out seat heights, wheel sizes, reversing levers, Windermere Kettles and so on. Very useful, and I’ll use similar mock-ups while building any future boats.

IMG_1197resized.jpg

Centre section planked but not yet trimmed.

IMG_1043resized.jpg

Foredeck under construction.

IMG_1118resized.jpg

Yours truly bending the gunwales (still had some hair then!)
The solitary wing hanging on the wall serves to remind me -Always switch on the receiver before you launch!

IMG_5588resized.jpg

Recessed handle for deck hatch. Mixture of machining and hand filing - four of them!

IMG_2137resized.jpg

Engine room hatch - about 90mm square

IMG_5658resized.jpg

Fred - about 16" (400mm) tall

All for now- sorry if you have seen it before the site went down!

Ted

Many, many thanks for reposing, Ted!!! You work is fantastic, and we really appreciate it can be seen by many members! Thumbs-Up

Hi All,
Time for a look at part 14?
A lot of photos with this one, so I'll restrict it to only one part.

‘Natterer’ – A shipbuilding Odyssey? – Part 14

The major item on deck has to be the casing over the boiler. I first attempted this in aluminium, but found I could not satisfactorily rivet the thing together, so had to resort to brass sheet again and accept the weight penalty. The casing is screwed to the deck, and carries the funnel on a foundation ring, again in brass. The funnel you see is actually a sham, as the heat from the boiler acting on the white-painted funnel would have soon discoloured the paint, and that wouldn’t have done for the proud owner of a steam launch! Inside the outer funnel there is an inner funnel, slightly smaller and shorter, which carries the actual nasties.

The wheel is loosely based on Bat’s, and was formed with a brass rim, pierced for turned spokes, all assembled into a hub. The wheel and chains turn, but are not connected to the steering – I had to draw the line somewhere!

The concoction sitting on the boiler casing that looks a bit like a tea urn is actually a Windermere Kettle. A lot of the Windermere launches carry them to provide boiling water to make tea to go with the sandwiches and cream scones which were de rigueur at this time (and still are!). Basically a copper can in which a coil of copper pipe is wound. Steam from the boiler is passed through the coil, and heats the water in no time at all. The kettle on Natterer does work, but I don’t use it as I haven’t yet figured a way to connect the kettle and still allow the deck to be removed! (Anyway, it doesn’t provide enough boiling water to give me a decent mug – sorry – cup of tea – our Victorian ancestors wouldn’t use such a vulgar word as mug when partaking of the pleasures of a sail on Windermere)

Finally, the pressure gauges, whistle and safety valves are not attached to the deck or casing, but are fastened to the power-plant and protrude through suitable openings in said deck and casing. I had thought I might like to exhibit the launch if it turned out well, preferably with the power-plant alongside, and you may also remember I had the facility to run the launch under electric power alone. Both these requirements meant the gauges, whistle and valves would be missing from the boat, and so a duplicate set of valves and gauges was made up on a panel which can be readily bolted with one bolt to the underside of the deck, thereby making Ted happy again.

A grating was built to cover the burners, which obtruded slightly into the forward passenger well, and bottom boards and seats were made up. Various pieces of brasswork in the form of bollards and fairleads were scattered around, and steamed curved coamings were fastened on the front and rear of the cockpits. Finally a suitable twirly thing to go on the end of the propshaft was procured from the Prop Shop, who cut down a 5” prop to 4.5” for me; Diane Carney of steam-engine fame provided etched nameplates, and Mike Allsop (Scale Flags and Ensigns) painted a super-size red ensign for me.

IMG_2094resized.jpg

Casing over the boiler - all in brass sheet riveted together.

IMG_2119resized.jpg

Build up of the casing with funnel, whistle, gauges, windermere kettle, and so on.

IMG_2127resized.jpg

Baseplate for the funnel. The two pins can be withdrawn together to allow the funnel to come off the model, or just one to allow the funnel to be lowered to the deck, as in the original boat.

IMG_5637resized.jpg

Boiler/Engine casing with funnel, crutch for lowered funnel, safety valves, whistle and windermere kettle.

IMG_5584resized.jpg

Steering wheel. Turk's Head knot on top spoke shows rudder central.

IMG_2129resized.jpg

Windermere kettle (And it works!)

IMG_5641resized.jpg

Pressure gauges

IMG_5596resized.jpg

Duplicate set of safety valves, whistle and gauges. When the launch is on display at a show, I sit the boiler and engine alongside the boat, and the duplicates fasten to the underside of the deck to fill the spaces where the real ones would be.

IMG_5636resized.jpg

View from forward, showing boiler front, grating over burners, sight glass, seating and fenders.

IMG_5638resized.jpg

View from stern, showing ship's wheel, engine, seating.

IMG_5574resized.jpg

View right forward, showing mooring cleats. Nothing available commercially (like 95% of the boat!), so hacked out with drills and files.

IMG_5586resized.jpg

And finally the engine reversing lever (Not actually connected to anything, as a servo handles the actual reversing.

Right_ that's all for this time round. Still to come - the crew and the transport carriage.

Ted

Fantastic job, Ted! Really extraordinary, especially seeing all the steps in the process. Exactly like building a full sized vessel. Well done!!!

I’m particularly impressed with the “Turk’s Head”. Not many know what that is!

Dave,
I've always had an interest in knots, but this particular Turk's Head was the smallest and trickiest I've made. Had to use a needle as a 'fid' to work the rope through. Pleased with the result though.

Ted

Back