national maritime museum

i tried this and no ship drawings are coming up what i am looking for are drawings for victorian steam launches and the steam engines. There has to be a lot of steam launch drawings.

vsl.JPG

these vessels how early do the go back?

9aedfa226383bea6c24d00026e5c8c36.jpg

What you have pictured there looks like the steamer which runs on Windermere - a lake in Cumbria, England. I have seen it many times in the Spring/Summer months. Try contacting the Windermere Jetty Museum, they do have a website.

From 1850 to the early decades of the 20th century Windermere, in the English Lake District, was home to many elegant steam launches. They were used for private parties, watching the yacht races or, in one instance, commuting to work, via the rail connection to Barrow in Furness.From 1850 to the early decades of the 20th century Windermere, in the English Lake District, was home to many elegant steam launches. They were used for private parties, watching the yacht races or, in one instance, commuting to work, via the rail connection to Barrow in Furness.

i wonder if a museum or historical society is funded for education or private funding are they obligated to share their archives?

i know many are under staffed and can not do in depth research. many times i would contact a museum only to get this
let us know when you want to visit and we will make available information. ya right!

or hire a researcher again very expensive

From 1850 to the early decades of the 20th century Windermere, in the English Lake District, was home to many elegant steam launches. They were used for private parties, watching the yacht races or, in one instance, commuting to work, via the rail connection to Barrow in Furness.From 1850 to the early decades of the 20th century Windermere, in the English Lake District, was home to many elegant steam launches. They were used for private parties, watching the yacht races or, in one instance, commuting to work, via the rail connection to Barrow in Furness.

i wonder if a museum or historical society is funded for education or private funding are they obligated to share their archives?

i know many are under staffed and can not do in depth research. many times i would contact a museum only to get this
let us know when you want to visit and we will make available information. ya right!

I guess you won't know unless you ask.

I am currently building 3 live steam launches from the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

The Chatham Historic Dockyard houses the steam launch Osborne that served the Royal Yacht of the same name, their website has useful photos and blueprints including the general arrangement and the hull lines. If you can't find them I can send them to you. I built a 1/12 scale model several years ago and am currently building a live steam version at 1/10 scale.
a.jpg

I recently completed a 1/8 scale live steam model of the Windermere launch Bat, which is I believe mouldering away in the Windermere museum suffering from lack of funds. IMHO it is the prettiest launch of any era. The only details I have are from Bonhams auction website, one of which is here, along with my model:

2022_bat_model_reshoot_-1.jpg

bat.JPG

I am also planning a live steam model at 1/13.5 scale of a Royal Navy Admiral's barge which dates from about 1920. There is a plan for this model published by Conway Maritime Press. There is a good reference book "Steam Picket Boats" which may be available from second-hand bookshops. This is a miniature model that I made about 20 years ago. Another very pretty boat.

barge.JPG

It will be difficult if not impossible to get accurate drawings of steam plants of that era. For live steam installations I use the boiler/engine packages from China (AliExpress is your friend). I selected the boat designs because they can accommodate the steam plants that are available of the market. Each model is about 40" long.

Good luck with your research. I don't think the NMM is a good source for details of this type of vessel. A google search may identify several other websites that are more likely to contain details of launches of the era. I search "images" until I find something relevant and then hope to find a website of plans sites with more details.

my first thought was to model the Dolly if anyone drew up a set of plans

so i emailed the museum asking if there are drawings but have not heard back yet.

It will be difficult if not impossible to get accurate drawings of steam plants of that era.

now that is a shame i hoped to find drawings so i could make a static 3D model of an engine and boiler

Last edited:
Dolly is interesting from a historical point of view but in my eyes (my one eye, actually ;) ) she's not exactly pretty. I'm not convinced that her current deckhouse is to the original design. What scale were you considering?

I've just added a later pic of my Bat.

Last edited:
Dolly is interesting from a historical point of view but in my eyes (my one eye, actually ;) ) she's not exactly pretty. I'm not convinced that her current deckhouse is to the original design. What scale were you considering?

i also like pretty but at this time i am thinking more of what is avalilable in drawings and how these were constructed.

depending on the length of these launches i am thinking 1:25 scale a model would be 25 inches or 625mm give or take a mm

i can see the Dolly engine i would love to 3D model it

dolly engine.JPG

Last edited:
the Dolly first off i need to know how these hulls were constructed

Length
41ft (12.5m)
Beam (width at widest point)
6ft 6in (2m)
Hull
Pine on oak, carvel
Engine
Single cylinder, bore 7in (178mm), stroke 7in (178mm)
Boiler
Scotch return tube built by Ocean Fleets Ltd, Birkenhead, 1975
Speed
5mph (8kph)

if you google steam launches a lot of interesting subjects to model even to have a static 3d model of the steam engine and boiler to assemble.

sl1.JPGsl2.JPGsl3.JPGsl4.JPGsl5.JPGsl6.JPG

if you google steam launches a lot of interesting subjects to model even to have a static 3d model of the steam engine and boiler to assemble.

View attachment 422665View attachment 422666View attachment 422667View attachment 422668View attachment 422669View attachment 422670

those kits all look a bit toy-like, and with the exception of the twin cabin launch (sold by Martin Baylis?) the machinery is also toy-like.

if you want to consider a suitable engine for the size of model you are considering, the mini series engines here may be of interest and at the moderate cost involved may be an effective solution even if you don't go "live" : https://www.enginediy.com/collections/kacio-engine

a boiler to suit the mini sized engine is easily mocked-up using copper tube and wood strip cladding.

the larger (and costly) series of engines (some of which closely match the Dolly's engine) would need a model at least 40" long but could be driven by steam or (as often used in static display models) by compressed air.

If you go to the "French Service Historique Plans" website and scroll past the German ships to paragraph labeled "French Service Historique Plans" and hit "Here" you will get a list of all late 19th century and early 20th century French warships. At the top are plans for different size oar/sail powered boats, near the bottom you'll find "Steam Launch", hit that and you will get drawings of a period steam launch along with details of the steam engine and the motor that drives the prop shaft. I am scratch building the Bouvet and am using these drawings to make my own drawings to have 3D printed boats made.
Gordon

If you go to the "French Service Historique Plans" website and scroll past the German ships to paragraph labeled "French Service Historique Plans" and hit "Here" you will get a list of all late 19th century and early 20th century French warships. At the top are plans for different size oar/sail powered boats, near the bottom you'll find "Steam Launch", hit that and you will get drawings of a period steam launch along with details of the steam engine and the motor that drives the prop shaft. I am scratch building the Bouvet and am using these drawings to make my own drawings to have 3D printed boats made.
Gordon
would you post a driect link to what you found

i have not gotten past this

1a.JPG

Back