Naseby 1655 - reverse engineering the ship model

I have just returned from a long period of travel and caught up on this thread. Some brilliant work here, and fascinating discussions. We will need to go through a similar process in reconstructing the original form and design methodology for Vasa, which is now somewhat distorted and shrunken, so the process Waldemar has illustrated is extremely helpful.

Fred

Waldemar has taken a scientific approach to analyzing the lines of the Naseby 1665 ship model along with known information.
Using CAD mechatronic analysis tools helps to look at numerous what if types of analysis to see what fits best in filling in the missing pieces of information as well as verifying the methodologies used at that time.
This were the power of CAD mechatronic analysis shines the brightest.

Note that the information input into the system has to be top notch, which means the analysist also has to know what they are doing.
The analysist needs to not only understand the subject matter but also the nuances of the tools he is using.
Otherwise no matter how great the tool may be, its results could be worthless.
The old adage "garbage in equals garbage out" comes into play here.

Hello,
I understand Fred is referring to the Niklas Eriksson book "Riksäpplet - Arkeologiska perspektiv på ett bortglömt regalskepp" published in 2017. On this book the author is referring to the Glete's work as a source of information about the model (page 105) when discussing the similarity to the Riksäpplet. Both Glete and Eriksson admit that the dimensions of the model were taken from the plan created in the 1930s by Hugo Åkermark. Now, when we have a 3D photogrammetric model, it is not very difficult to see that the plan does not portray the actual model very closely.
My version would be this:
Sheldon could use the enlarged ship of the 1654 group (Naseby) as a source when designing ships in Sweden. In that situation the Ö 3 may stand for a design proposal of a ship influenced by the Naseby (similar dimensions) but different (beakhead?, upper decks configuration, galleries). The Riksäpplet is a further modification of this concept with altered dimensions but similar decorations etc.
Hallo @DonatasBruzas
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
@- Waldemar - hope it is ok to use your topic for these greetings - and brings this highly interesting topic up in the list

.​

To your wishes for Donatas I myself join in. It can also be said that Donatas is in a way a co-founder of this thread, because he initiated it earlier, suggesting the idea.

.​

Thank you all, there is a song in Lithuania "you are not 37 any more to be boring and not 42 to be interesting yet".
I hope you will like to see a video of my Python script generating the hull of the Sheldon's ship as reconstructed by Waldemar.

Attachments

• wI6CiexL9E.mp4
    3.1 MB
.​
I watched the video. I completely fail to understand why Kroum talks about some dimensional inconsistencies, when the correspondence between the proportions of the Ö3 model and the dimensions of the Naseby 1655 is downright perfect. But these are perhaps normal methods in disputes when there are differences of opinion, and which in a way I am already starting to get used to.

.​

Back