My First Work Bench

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

While I was helping someone with a post, I found this picture of my very first workbench.

Original Date: February 24, 2006
(Take Note of my first Workbench !!! )
At this time, if I remember, Ships of Scale was just a website and not a forum until a couple of years later !!! The ship is Lindberg's, Captain Kidd. This is a shocker when I look back on things.

1669346026963.png

Started modelling during covid lockdown in early 2022 and my first workbench was the dining room table.
lyallk_firstworkbench_001.jpg

I was converting 1/2 of the garage to a utility room and included a workbench and storage area so I do not have to setup or clear up after each build session. This encourages short build spells and is very convenient. Behind the box in the pic below is a sink which the other half insisted on ... dare I say it she was correct as it is useful for soaking wood and cleaning brushes. One job I do plan is to make some sort of storage so tools, paints etc are more organised.

lyallk_newworkbench_001.jpg

I love how clean these workbenches are. I would take a picture of my work bench, but it is so disorganized and chaotic. As my dad always used to say, "I have to get organized". LOL
Yep .. definitely not so clean now. I am nearing completion and have lots of little sub builds going on so a bit chaotic at the moment.

Definitely not knocking your workspace. Always looking for tips and trick to consolidate and simplify processes that keep an efficient and productive build. Thanks!
all the best Kieth,
One of my hints and observation to keep a workspace organized is to clean up at the end of the day. I have had this habit for a very long time and still do. It doesn't matter if tomorrow you will resume from the same stage, it will prevent you from accumulating the tools no longer required for the current task, and have space for the ones you need. Optimally, your tools should have their own permanent paces in the drawers or on the walls, you better know.

My first workbench was a table at local hobby shop that hosted building sessions on Saturdays, just brought my tool box and model kit.

Then when the store closed, I moved to kitchen table as we didn't use it for eating, and then into table inside my RV when it got parked in drive way.

Finally I have some space in my hobby (trains and ships) room at my new house.

Definitely not knocking your workspace. Always looking for tips and trick to consolidate and simplify processes that keep an efficient and productive build. Thanks!
all the best Kieth,
Something I found that helps me keeps semi-organized is a rotating tool caddy/holder. I used to use it for my fly tying tools but have repurposed it for my model building. Bought it at Cabela's. And while at Costco, I found a set of bamboo drawer organizers (boxes) and have them on my desk top. My workbench is my old roll-top desk and a motorcycle lift that I modified with a plywood top. It will let me raise and lower the model to better be able to do the rigging once I get there. I am including (probably too many) photos of my workspace. (This is in a 3-car garage which is my woodshop too).

ATTACH type="full"]343028[/ATTACH]Caddy3.jpgCaddy4.jpgCaddy5.jpg

Caddy2.jpg

Last edited:
Something I found that helps me keeps semi-organized is a rotating tool caddy/holder. I used to use it for my fly tying tools but have repurposed it for my model building. Bought it at Cabela's. And while at Costco, I found a set of bamboo drawer organizers (boxes) and have them on my desk top. My workbench is my old roll-top desk and a motorcycle lift that I modified with a plywood top. It will let me raise and lower the model to better be able to do the rigging once I get there. I am including (probably too many) photos of my workspace. (This is in a 3-car garage which is my woodshop too).

View attachment 343027View attachment 343028View attachment 343029View attachment 343030View attachment 343031
THAT's more like it!

Back