Museum Exhibition of Marine Paintings in Albany New York

The Albany Institute of History and Art, which is around the corner from the State capitol in Albany, New York, is presenting, from September 9, 2023–December 31, 2023, “Reflective Impressions: The 19th National Exhibition of the American Society of Marine Artists.” It features works by 113 artists who draw inspiration from water— water as a means of travel, a fragile ecosystem, a source of leisure and recreation, or pleasant scenery. The American Society of Marine Artists was founded in 1978 to preserve and promote contemporary American marine art. It came into being through the work of a small handful of representational artists and marine art enthusiasts who felt that the rich cultural heritage of marine painting was in danger of being lost. Today, Society members are a diverse and engaged group representing nearly all 50 states of the US, as well as the U.K., France, and Canada. About a quarter of the paintings include all or a portion of a ship or boat.

More interestingly, the museum’s website has a link to a prior exhibit of Len Tantillo’s ship paintings, which were a wonder to see for my wife and me. Tantillo’s paintings on the website, although they appear a bit faded, will nevertheless give you an impression of his art. Included in the Tantillo exhibit was also a model of a large boat made by my (and Tantillo’s) friend, Al Blevins, who died about three years ago. There are only a few portions of Al's boat showing, unfortunately. The Tantillo prior exhibit is labeled "A Sense of Time" and is under prior exhibitions
. It is well worth visiting via your computer.

Back