Motorboat

The motorboat was a prominent feature of the fishing villages and coves along the rugged coat of Newfoundland in the 40s and 50s when I was a lad. The little boat was about 24 feet in length with a beam of 6 to 6.5 feet, powered by a 3 or 4 hp "make and break" engine. Fishermen would leave their wharfs at dawn and motor to the fishing ground where they caught cod, mackerel, herring, lobster, etc. in season and return to their village at mid-afternoon for processing. I have fond memories of the "put-put" sounds as each little boat motored out the harbour as well as the many rides I have received in these wonderful craft.
shows a neat video of these motors produced by a friend of mine.

Several years ago I borrowed a half model of the motor boat from a friend whose grandfather built many boats using the half model. I spent the winter drawing a set of plans.
My model of the motorboat is 24"long with a 6.5" beam. It is made of pine milled in my shop with local birch ribs. She is powered by an Acadian 3hp one cylinder "luger"---made of wood of course. EnjoyPlans (2).jpgIMG-6214.JPGIMG-6236.JPGIMG-6237.JPG

Very interesting and a very good build model
Many Thanks for sharing with us

The motorboat was a prominent feature of the fishing villages and coves along the rugged coat of Newfoundland in the 40s and 50s when I was a lad. The little boat was about 24 feet in length with a beam of 6 to 6.5 feet, powered by a 3 or 4 hp "make and break" engine. Fishermen would leave their wharfs at dawn and motor to the fishing ground where they caught cod, mackerel, herring, lobster, etc. in season and return to their village at mid-afternoon for processing. I have fond memories of the "put-put" sounds as each little boat motored out the harbour as well as the many rides I have received in these wonderful craft.

Several years ago I borrowed a half model of the motor boat from a friend whose grandfather built many boats using the half model. I spent the winter drawing a set of plans.
My model of the motorboat is 24"long with a 6.5" beam. It is made of pine milled in my shop with local birch ribs. She is powered by an Acadian 3hp one cylinder "luger"---made of wood of course. EnjoyView attachment 304399View attachment 304400View attachment 304403View attachment 304404
Hi Mamashee,

Great atmospheric looking boat and lovely video. Thumbsup

Cheers,
Stephen.

My model of the motorboat is 24"long with a 6.5" beam. It is made of pine milled in my shop with local birch ribs. She is powered by an Acadian 3hp one cylinder "luger"---made of wood of course. EnjoyView attachment 304399View attachment 304400View attachment 304403View attachment 304404
Hallo @Mamashee
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back