Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE

Looking very good. Think I'll have my gunport covers down fore and aft. Have ordered 10 brass cannon for midships.

I've seen some methods for taking the brass and aging it, it comes out somewhere between the basic black and shiny brass. My cannon are gonna stay the same old boring black.

Sorry dude, I just realized I hyjacked your blog. I posted my pics on your page. Mea culpa.

Obviously I'm still learning to plank a hull. Lots of sanding, filling, more sanding...... Drilled the mounting holes and added filler blocks in the hull while I had the keel mounted square in the drill press. After I'm happy with the sanding I spray auto primer and sand again. The color scheme will be the same as the the photo on the box. View attachment 128505View attachment 128506View attachment 128507View attachment 128508

With that type of mount do you drill up from the bottom of the brass mount?

Last edited:
Model Shipways sells the paints for the Rattlesnake. I have used their paints for the 18th Century Armed Longboat which I am currently building and found them to be very good. I have recently bought the Rattlesnake also and will be following your build with great interest.
I did buy the Shipways paints. Looks great.

Are you planning on installing a waterway on the poop deck?

Kind of following your lead. I can't see one on the plans, but then again the plans leave a lot to be desired for a beginner like me. Pretty much tossed the instructions.

Hmmmm, I'll have to think about it. The waterway on the main deck, for me, besides being on the plans was a great way to hide any gaps between the deck planking and the ceiling planks. With the poop I managed to be getting it done with zero gaps. I'll think on it some more.

One other thing I noticed about your MS Rattlesnake as opposed to mine. You have a total of four "rafters" on the forecastle where the deck planking will be laid over. My model only has three, take a look. Curious.

One other thing I noticed about your MS Rattlesnake as opposed to mine. You have a total of four "rafters" on the forecastle where the deck planking will be laid over. My model only has three, take a look. Curious.
On the plans it looked like the foremast came up through the forecastle deck and the only way to do that was to add another rafter. If I got it wrong I'll live with it. Hope it doesn't complicate things in the future though.

On the plans it looked like the foremast came up through the forecastle deck and the only way to do that was to add another rafter. If I got it wrong I'll live with it. Hope it doesn't complicate things in the future though.

OK gotcha I thought as much. Novel solution.

From what I have noticed is on the plans they are showing a cross section labeled B-B and thats where the 4th one comes in

Completed the gun deck planking and gratings. Also the bulkhead into the Capt. cabin. I'll tackle the Quarterdeck planking next. I think this time I'll make a pattern on card stock and trace it to 1/32" basswood. When that fits correctly I plank the basswood then install the deck as a whole piece. Couldn't do that with the gun deck because it tapered at both ends and would't fit inside the bulwarks.AAC_8160.jpgAAC_8162.jpgAAC_8164.jpg

Completed the gun deck planking and gratings. Also the bulkhead into the Capt. cabin. I'll tackle the Quarterdeck planking next. I think this time I'll make a pattern on card stock and trace it to 1/32" basswood. When that fits correctly I plank the basswood then install the deck as a whole piece. Couldn't do that with the gun deck because it tapered at both ends and would't fit inside the bulwarks.View attachment 131786View attachment 131787View attachment 131788

I like the hinges on the doors. I never thought of that.

Back