Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24

Hi All Shipwrights,
Good day! I have finished my first tutorial video for Model Shipways. It is the first video of the series. Please check it out at:

The video is made for beginners who would like to start making wood ship models. It should be also a quick fun to watch for the experienced shipwrights. Please give some feedbacks or leave some comments in this post or in the video to help me to make better videos. I also include some finished model photos. This kit can be a very good side or weekend project along with our bigger 100-guns projects.

Thank you and good luck building to all!
EZ

IMG_6089.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6121.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Edward,
a very nice video, it was definitely fun to watch and from my point of view all the important information was included, keep it up. Thumbsup

This kit could be purchased at low coast, relative to its usefulness, and the plans reducued on a copy machine to whatever scale required, for adaptation to whatever Grand Banks Schooner you wish to build, from scratch or kit. Wonderful video, instructive well beyond just this kit! Thanks!

PeteG.

This kit could be purchased at low coast, relative to its usefulness, and the plans reducued on a copy machine to whatever scale required, for adaptation to whatever Grand Banks Schooner you wish to build, from scratch or kit. Wonderful video, instructive well beyond just this kit! Thanks!

PeteG.
Thank you, Peter

Hi All Shipwrights,
Good day! I have finished my first tutorial video for Model Shipways. It is the first video of the series. Please check it out at:

The video is made for beginners who would like to start making wood ship models. It should be also a quick fun to watch for the experienced shipwrights. Please give some feedbacks or leave some comments in this post or in the video to help me to make better videos. I also include some finished model photos. This kit can be a very good side or weekend project along with our bigger 100-guns projects.

Thank you and good luck building to all!
EZ

View attachment 379435

View attachment 379436

View attachment 379437

View attachment 379438

View attachment 379439

View attachment 379440

View attachment 379441
Excellent Video

This is an excellent video! Answered several of my questions after having just read this boat's manual and Bluejacket's dory manual--both in my queue. I had decided to start with the Model Shipways because the building jig looks easier than a bunch of pins holding frames. Then, when I saw your video in the forum's list today, I'm convinced to start with the Model Shipways. (I will do the BJ's at some point.)

I consider myself a beginner with boats/ships, and have completed a few very inexpensive wooden models to learn to plank hulls & other beginner skills. I did plank the deck of the Dumas Ariel to learn. In addition, I have bought "used" models, purposely, to learn how to correct other's poor work or mistakes! Revell's USS Constitution was on my "bucket list" since 1996 after our visit to see the ship in MA. Just finished its rigging! Had that going with other wooden boats on the other work table!

I am very excited to start this dory as soon as one of my work tables is clear. BTW: I grew up 32 ft from high tide and only a few doors down from Dynamite Payson known for his "Payson dory." Dad built Monhegan skiffs after he retired, and I wish I had paid more attention back then! Surely big boat process and skills would translate to models!

Again, this video is excellent. I like how you move the steps along, yet demonstrate! Thank you for sharing!

This is an excellent video! Answered several of my questions after having just read this boat's manual and Bluejacket's dory manual--both in my queue. I had decided to start with the Model Shipways because the building jig looks easier than a bunch of pins holding frames. Then, when I saw your video in the forum's list today, I'm convinced to start with the Model Shipways. (I will do the BJ's at some point.)

I consider myself a beginner with boats/ships, and have completed a few very inexpensive wooden models to learn to plank hulls & other beginner skills. I did plank the deck of the Dumas Ariel to learn. In addition, I have bought "used" models, purposely, to learn how to correct other's poor work or mistakes! Revell's USS Constitution was on my "bucket list" since 1996 after our visit to see the ship in MA. Just finished its rigging! Had that going with other wooden boats on the other work table!

I am very excited to start this dory as soon as one of my work tables is clear. BTW: I grew up 32 ft from high tide and only a few doors down from Dynamite Payson known for his "Payson dory." Dad built Monhegan skiffs after he retired, and I wish I had paid more attention back then! Surely big boat process and skills would translate to models!

Again, this video is excellent. I like how you move the steps along, yet demonstrate! Thank you for sharing!
Thank you . Glad the video helped. Thank you for the info, frankly, I did NOT know anything about “Dynamite Payson”. Watched couple his interviews videos on YouTube from Penobscot Marine Museum. Inspirational!

Back