Model Shipways 1/8 scale "yellow box" USS Essex

Recently acquired a complete-less plans-Model Shipways 1/8 scale model of the USS Essex circa 1812. I have been able to get the Anatomy of the Ship book on the Essex, but cannot find any plans. This model came in two scales 1/8 and 5/32. Mark Mosko, of Model Expo suggested I try the forums to see if someone has, or can make a copy of the 1/8 scale plan, and instructions. Thanks all.

So you are looking for the Model Shipways plan-set of their Essex model? Correct?

So you are looking for the Model Shipways plan-set of their Essex model? Correct?
Yes that is correct. Have talked with Mark Mosko of model expo, and they do not have the old 1/8 scale plans from their old yellow box models. He suggested the forums as a place for help.

I built this kit many years ago and thought I keep the plans, unfortunately can't find them. Nevertheless, I did keep my reference material, namely the book noted in the photo. Stashed inside the book was a copy on one sheet of plans. I remember basically working from the book because the plans didn't contain much detail.

I overlaid the kit plans against the book profiles and you will note in these instances the scale is almost identical. The book is "very" comprehensive and contains all the rigging plans and detail, deck structures, masts, etc... Many of the other detail sections in the book are of various scale, 1/48 for example which can easily be recopied to the needed scale. If you note the deck detail in the kit plan versus the book, the plans are very lacking.

Hope this helps.

20240327_141856.jpg

20240327_141943.jpg

20240327_142123.jpg

Response very much appreciated. I specifically ordered AOTS edition that has the 1/144 plan on the reverse of the jacket cover. The plan you showed was for the 5/64 scale version of the Essex, was that the version that you built?

Yes, those are the kit plans. I still have the jacket cover and compared the kit plan to it; I can't see any size difference. Also, the jacket cover plan has the bow and stern profile you can use for templates to shape the hull. I had cut out the keel profile from the kit plan to shape it. When I overlaid it on the book cover plan it was an exact match!

I found that the Smithsonian has 2 plans, in 1/4 scale (hull+ deck layout), and 1 in 1/8 scale (sail plan and rigging). These have been ordered, plus the AOTS book on the Essex. Would still like to find 1/8 or 5/64 plans and instructions that came with the model shipways kits.

Recently acquired a complete-less plans-Model Shipways 1/8 scale model of the USS Essex circa 1812. I have been able to get the Anatomy of the Ship book on the Essex, but cannot find any plans. This model came in two scales 1/8 and 5/32. Mark Mosko, of Model Expo suggested I try the forums to see if someone has, or can make a copy of the 1/8 scale plan, and instructions. Thanks all.
I don't have the plans but do have the original instructions that came with the kit. They are authored by modeling expert Jim Roberts, are very detailed, and are 96 pages long with many figures. That is too long to scan and send, but if you would like a copy, please PM me and we can discuss how best to get them to you.

Try Taubman plans. They have a great inventory of ships plans. Also try the Smithsonian plans service.

I have the complete kit, with the "Anatomy" book and a construction booklet by Jim Roberts dated 1984. I've been hauling this around since the mid '80s. I'm now 82 with a wife who has dementia. I'll never build it. I live in Akron Ohio. How can I help you?

The" Anatomy" book by Takatjian should be thrown in the trash. It is full of major errors.. I built the Model Shipways kit you have. Then I was involved with the research on the "Essex" with Chad Smith, Curator of the Peabody Museum, which resulted on the authorative book on the "Essex". The book is titled "The frigate Essex Papers" I then built the scratch model of the "Essex" which was displayed at the Peabody Museum. I can email a set of photos of my model. and discuss the correct configuration of the "Essex". I can also provide the masting and rigging plans for the "Essex". With the plan sheets shown above. you can assemble your kit into something presentable. If you email me at waltzimmer@aol.com I can give you a lot of help

I often ignore the original scale of plans I’ve bought because I build models to suit a space sometimes. I use the ratio and proportion method to translate from the plan actual measurement to measurement I desire. For example if models length on the plan is say 500mm long and I want to make the model only 300mm long you can calculate the dimensions of all measured parts knowing these two numbers.

The layout of the maths is 500mm (Plan measured length) : (is to) 300mm (desired model finished length) AS (measured part from the plan in mm) : (is to) (answer for part you have to make in mm).

In this case say the width of the model is
135mm wide at the midship as measured on the plan. the formula then reads
500 : 300 as 135: x. x being the desire finished length

So...

you multiply the 300x135=40500.

You then divide this number 40500/500=81mm. So the width of the midship of your model will be 81mm.

Another example for clarity,
the bore of the cannon on my plan is 5.25mm diameter.
I want to make my cannon accurately so the bore of my actually cannon would be

500:300 as 5.25: x
(300 x 5.25) / 500= 3.15mm diameter

I usually put this into a spread sheet and just have a cell where I put the measured value from the plan and it spits out the desired length into another cell and I dont have to fluff about with a calculator.

All that’s needed is measuring instruments such as rules, Vernier callipers, dividers etc. ,basic measurement tools really.
The only thing you need to be careful of is sometimes on a plan it will have enlargements of an area, but these are usually highlight with the warning, Not to scale

Hope this helps.
Cheers Rick

I should have mentioned you have the book anatomy of a ship book so you should be sweet. They will have scale drawings in it. Measure the length of the ship from the book, then obtain your desired length and away you go.

I used this method on a model of the Endeavour. The kit was pretty basic and not overly accurate, so I embellished the model using the Endeavour anatomy book to fit additional parts..

It seems the Peabody Museum is the fountainhead of Essex knowledge. Perhaps they may have collected some plans that might help.

Back