members/10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

HI ALL AS I SEE WE ARE APPROACHING 10,000 MEMBERS, WHAT A GREAT ACHIEVMENT THIS IS. SO I AM GOING TO TAKE SOME CREDIT ANDSIGNAL OUT OTHERS. I REMEMBER NOT LONG AGO SOS WAS A STRUGLING 500 MEMBER SITE NOT REALLY GOING ANYWHERE, AS A LOT OF MEMBERS HERE MAY NOT KNOW CERTAIN MEMBERS HAD SOME SEVERE EXPERIENCES WITH A GROUP OF TOTAL JERKS AND WE GOT BANNED SO A GROUP OF US DAVE STENS, BRIAN CARROL, MIKE41, THE LATE GEFF WILSON RIP MY DEAR FRIEND AND ALONG AND KIP SCOVIL WE STARTE A DISCUSSION ON WHAT WE WERE GOING TO BE DOING. A LOT OFFLACK WAS TAKEN BY DONNIE FROM cp HIMSELF WITH A LOT OF THREATS SUCH AS TO ME DON FARR HE WANTED TO BAN ME FROM THE HOBBY FOREVER, GUESS WHAT I AM STILL HERE AND BUILDING SHIP MODELS AND SOS IS GROWING IN MEMBERS BUT MORE THEN JUST NUMBERS ACTIVE VERY ACTIVE NOT 5 OR 6 LIKE THE OTHER PLACE BUT 1000s. DAVE DO YOU REMEMBER THE CONVERSATIOS YOU AND I HAD ABOUT INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS GUESS WHAT IT URNED OUT I WAS RIGHT LOOK AT OUR WORLD WIDE PARTICIPATING MEMBERS FROM ALL OVER. THIS DID NOT COME ABOUT EASILY DONNIE FACED THREATS THIS POINT HE HAD NEVER BANNED ANYONE WITH A GREAT DEAL OF EFFORT LED BY BRIAN AND GEOFF WITH A LOT OF BAD WORDS HE DID IT, GUESS WHAT THEY ARE STILL TRYING SO KEEP IT UP GUYS MORE AND INTERESTING GROUP BUILDS, AND CONTINUE WITH THE THOUGHTS OF MY MONEY MY BUILD, I RESPECT YOURS RESPECT MINE. NOW TO SHOUT OUT TO ALL OUR MODERATORS ADMINISTRATORS, AND MEMBERS THANK YOU VERY, VERY, VERY MUCH, AND THIS IS COMING FROM ME WHO CAUSED A LOT OF PROBLEMS AND PRBALLY MORE TO COME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL FROM ALL OVER THE GLOBE AND MAY WE KNOW JESUES PEACE ALWAYS. GOD. DON

Last edited by a moderator:
what is commendable is the fact SoS was built from the ground up. We did not inherit an already established forum and just take it over. Model ship builders came from all over the world and are still coming to SoS. Our beginnings were rough as Don pointed out, we were threatened, bullied, members and businesses were black listed. Members were singled out and their names and reputations publicly dragged through the mud. All this done by a once respected nautical researh guild. We stood our ground and still are fighting for the right to be what we are and not what someone else wants us to be. It is one thing to operate with a heavy hand and police your own forum but you have no rights to extend that to other forums.
As a karma twist of fate the policy of running model builders out of the hobby because of what they choose to built or at a sheer whim has turned. Banning of people helped grow SoS, all those banned people came here and formed the core of this forum. It seemed easy to bully a small group of model builders but as it turned out that small group had a lot of spunk and stood their ground. Now that little group is 10,000 strong and growning into a force that can very well dominate the hobby. Our oppresses now suffer from self infllicted problems, they have become isolated and very narrow minded. If you really want to know what is going on in the hobby SoS is the place to be. We show the latest kits from around the world, state of the art being done my members and businesses around the world "bar none".

aside from Donnie one of the major forces that shaped this forum in the early days is Don Farr. I must admit he can be one brutal SOB but a kind and gentle heart. As for the building and maintaining of the forum, Donnie still carries the weight but he has a great team helping.

As a fairly new builder of these wonderful wooden models I'd like to thank all who persevered through the beginnings of this forum and continue to devote their time to keep it what it is.

When I started building I joined two forums, this is the only forum I belong to today-by my own choice. I requested to be dropped from the other one when I purchased second hand a ship from a banned company and was promptly banned from that site.

Thank you for the history lesson Don and Dave. The little bit you posted here explains a lot. I have noticed this subject is typically avoided, but I do not see any reason to continue avoiding it when presented in this factual manner letting the facts speak for themselves. My $.02.

Again thanks to the staff that continue to devote their own uncompensated time!

Glenn

As a fairly new builder of these wonderful wooden models I'd like to thank all who persevered through the beginnings of this forum and continue to devote their time to keep it what it is.

When I started building I joined two forums, this is the only forum I belong to today-by my own choice. I requested to be dropped from the other one when I purchased second hand a ship from a banned company and was promptly banned from that site.

Thank you for the history lesson Don and Dave. The little bit you posted here explains a lot. I have noticed this subject is typically avoided, but I do not see any reason to continue avoiding it when presented in this factual manner letting the facts speak for themselves. My $.02.

Again thanks to the staff that continue to devote their own uncompensated time!

Glenn
Wow. They banned you for purchasing a kit. They banned me for mere posting a PICTURE of one HERE! How long will it be before the rest of the MSW builders learn how rotten their admin and his cronies have become? I also was a member of both forums, only I chose to make my second build here only because most members over there just weren't too interested in 17th century vessels, which is to be expected, since we know so much more about 18th and 19th century ships and they are so much better documented. It's great to be on a FREE forum, and take joy from the work of so many others who share their own inspirations with us. Thanks for hosting us, Donnie!

ARRRRrrrrr !!!! Pirate FlagShip-1ROTF

Last edited:
When I first searched the internet on how to build a model wooden ship I saw the other forum and had a look through some posts, I didn't like what I saw, if you said something out of place or used the wrong terminology for something you didn't know you were instantly chastised and I thought this is no place for a beginner.
Then I found SoS and here I am, I wasn't aware of the history on how SoS came to be so thank you to all that made it happen, I feel very welcome here.Thumbsup:)

I was a relatively active member of the other forum (about 1000 posts) when, after a few skirmishes, I had enough of the tyranny and stepped out, deleting all my pictures (a few thousand) and asking for the delition of all my written posts. This infuriated the Big Brother so much that he, retrospectively, banned me for 1000 years (a record I assume), providing even another moderator warning, again retrospectively, just to prove his point. At this time I was already a member of SoS so the transition went smoothly.
The reason of my condemnation was of course the issue of the 'stolen' kits and plans by diverse Chinese manufacturers. In general I agree with a necessary protection of legal rights (I had a dispute about this with one of the admins of SoS too) but I believe that the issue is definitely not as clear cut as those crusaders would like to show it. And if we take one step back and look at the bigger picture in my opinion this whole issue is nothing more and nothing less than the mirroring of the current political happenings of the world in our little world of modelling.
Just my 2 cents...
János
Screenshot_20220626-100809_Chrome.jpg

THANK YOU GLENN I DO AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESMENT AS DAVE INDICATED I CAN BE ONE MEAN SON-OF-BITCH BAR NONE ASK AROUND ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE DOWNRIGHT WRONG, WRONG IS WRONG IS WRONG AS AN EXAMPLEPOF BLUENOSE THE MANUFACTURER 0OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM THE TRUST NOT MATTER TO IDOTS JUST RECENTLY POSTED ABOUT DA HAI WHO WENT THROUGH A LENGHTY AND EXPENSIVE PROCESS OF OBTAINING PERMISSION, BUT WHEN YOU WHERE BLINDERS YOU CAN NOT SEE, I TAKE WINSTON WAY NOW THE BEST IS TO IGNORE THEM, WITCH I GLADLY DO, IT STILL BUGS ME AND THE JUICES START TO FLOW, ENOUGH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

I was a relatively active member of the other forum (about 1000 posts) when, after a few skirmishes, I had enough of the tyranny and stepped out, deleting all my pictures (a few thousand) and asking for the delition of all my written posts. This infuriated the Big Brother so much that he, retrospectively, banned me for 1000 years (a record I assume), providing even another moderator warning, again retrospectively, just to prove his point. At this time I was already a member of SoS so the transition went smoothly.
The reason of my condemnation was of course the issue of the 'stolen' kits and plans by diverse Chinese manufacturers. In general I agree with a necessary protection of legal rights (I had a dispute about this with one of the admins of SoS too) but I believe that the issue is definitely not as clear cut as those crusaders would like to show it. And if we take one step back and look at the bigger picture in my opinion this whole issue is nothing more and nothing less than the mirroring of the current political happenings of the world in our little world of modelling.
Just my 2 cents...
János
View attachment 318357
1,000 years, huh? That's indeed a record. Chances are, no matter how much time passes, you will outlive them, Janos. :D

To all! Please don't forget about the 10.000 members thread! I think, this is about the SOS's success and has nothing to do with other forum\s. Well, almost nothing... We still want to thank all the forums that have advertised, and keep advertising SOS in all ways across the globe. ;)

I also, want to share our success with you, but most importantly, I want to say a big THANK YOU to all active members! Despite the total member count, the most active members are the core moving gears of our success (not other forums). Enough talks about other forums! I would like to hear more success stories, similar to mine, where @Tobias helped me to obtain the spindle from Germany, or someone help another modeler with advice. This is what makes our forum stand proud and successful!

P.S. I hope you can read between the lines :cool: Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I have only been a member here for a short time, but from the very beginning I have felt welcomed by people who I now consider friends. I am looking forward to many years of enjoyment while learning this new adventure. Some day, I hope to be able to provide help to members questions.
Thanks to everyone here for a great site.

Bill

OH JUST ONE MORE PLEASE SO AS NOT TO LEAVE WRONG STATMENTS ON KRIS BEING BANED BECAUSE THEYNOT DO MODELS CHECKOUT HARBOR DREDGE LOG BY ME, THAT IS A GREAT PERSONILIZED SEMI/KIT KNOW PAPER ON IT AT ALL AND JIM IS RIGHT LIKE JANOS I TO HAVE MY DISPUTES HERE BUT ALL IS WELL RIGHT NOW THANKS ALL. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hello dear members of SOS, I've been a part of SOS for a little over a year now and have never regretted it. My thanks go to the administration who gave me the chance to become a member here, to the moderators and of course to all other members with whom I have contact. @Jimsky I would also like to thank you again for your kind words, @Uwek also thanks to you because you supported us so well in the Le Coureur group building with an excellent construction diary and were now able to get to know you personally, as well as other of ours members. I was definitely aware of the topic at MSW and can only say that it is still a hot topic there and there is a lot of agitation against SOS. However, I must also say that in my eyes it is a very big double standard when I look at your pirated copy philosophy. I am also a member of two other forums but SOS is the main forum here I feel comfortable and at home. With that in mind, let's go to the 10,000.

Its great to see new members joining our friendly forum daily, and I have invited multiple people across to our site.
Ships of scale is a refreshing change to the narcissistic behaviour on other groups.

Last edited:
I am banned since yesterday, but an happy user of the SoS forum who can freely post and answer on any thread now. It is funny since I do not have any knock off product, but actively welcoming the new stuff from China. A lot of new stuff are clearly completely without any IP glitch. Thanks you to Sos to show us these new products. Thanks you for all of you who are so friendly, even when we are not from US or english native speaking people. This forum is really a worldwide one.

yes we tried to keep the forum clean of the politics of the hobby, but that is what drives and forms the hobby. MSW still bans people on a regular bases we will open the doors to the banned with a big welcome. We are actually the village of the banned. it is troubling to the heart and soul when you are kicked to the curb and everything you ever posted is tossed in the NRG dumpster.

To all! Please don't forget about the 10.000 members thread! I think, this is about the SOS's success and has nothing to do with other forum\s. Well, almost nothing... We still want to thank all the forums that have advertised, and keep advertising SOS in all ways across the globe.

i think it is that "well almost nothing" that built SoS in the first place and on those original foundations one of the fastest growing site is in operation.
i got banned along with the company i work for i do not even own the business but it it also got banned must be because i worked there why they got banned. Funny thing is i never bought any kit nor supported any other business being accused of pirating. So i questioned their policy and that is all. My last comment was "this is not about pirating or IP theft at all it is about a fat ego wanting to control the hobby a cartel." and i was gone with years of build logs, posts, images all wiped out.
i talked to Don Farr over at model ship builder and Don suggested i check out this forum Ship of Scale at the time maybe 350-500 member sitting quietly on the internet. As more and more people got banned from MSW a core of unhappy model builders began to form. I understood why because many of those banned had all their work trashed, many build logs, information, posts and images were all trashed by the NRG hit squad.

I was definitely aware of the topic at MSW and can only say that it is still a hot topic there and there is a lot of agitation against SOS. However, I must also say that in my eyes it is a very big double standard when I look at your pirated copy philosophy.

can you expand on your comment about a double standard? it is not carved in stone it can be edited, changed, improved apon.
The basic idea is if you are a company and your product is being ripped off then YOU do something about it.
Personally i would need to see a courts legal decision saying product X was pirated by company Y otherwise it is hear say and it can very well be just a version of the same subject.

5032.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back