Mayflower - Graupner Build log

Just finished building the foremast. Very tiny pieces and hard to cut out and trim. Here I am complaining again….. It is fairly straight and looks pretty good however. Not sure whether to paint or just seal. I will post pictures soon. I am trying to sort out where all the shrouds will terminate and how to attach them on the mast. I can’t find a picture of this.

Ok. Just put on some of the decals. Whew! They almost fit correctly. And they are extremely fragile. Maybe they were this fragile to start with…. In any case I will now wait to see if they stick. I wasn’t sure if I would even get this far.

I'm really surprised that the decals are still so good after 35 (??) years.
Watching your build log feels like being back in the 80th and being young again :)

IMG_8902.jpeg
Here is a photo of the spars as promised. Nothing is glued or painted or sealed yet. The small plywood parts sometimes disintegrated while I was working with them. I’m going to blame the plywood but that’s probably not the reason… This is definitely a learning experience for me.

I had less luck with the decals on the masts. Three of four went on ok but I had trouble with the first one. It is placed but slightly broken. Hoping the rigging will obscure the broken spot!IMG_8914.jpeg

Just a personal note. Will have to stop working on the Mayflower soon as we are heading to Iqaluit for Christmas and won’t be back until the new year.

Also I managed to get this kit at an auction here in Brantford. It is complete and unopened. This is a bit overwhelming but I am going to start it in the new year and see how things go …IMG_8880.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a personal note. Will have to stop working on the Mayflower soon as we are heading to Iqaluit for Christmas and won’t be back until the new year.

Also I managed to get this kit at an auction here in Brantford. It is complete and unopened. This is a bit overwhelming but I am going to start it in the new year and so how things go …View attachment 408604
Good luck, HMS VICTORY is so difficult and need a lot of patience to have a good result. The good thing is that there is a lot of information about this ship that you can study, ... and learn a lot.

Back