Mayflower - Graupner Build log

After building the Model Shipways Grand Banks Dory and the Norwegian Sailing Pram ( there is another build log for these ) I decided that I should tackle a project that required less effort in building the hull and more effort in building the rigging, for which I have much less experience. I had happened upon an old Mayflower kit by Graupner in a household auction which turned out to be complete and included the optional parts kit required to complete it. This kit has a preformed balsa hull.

IMG_8641.JPG

Wow - an old Graupner kit - long time not seen
Especially, when you would like to take the main focus on the rigging of this model, think about replacing the old ropes and also the blocks to correct scale and higher quality. I know from my experience with the Graupner static kits, that this material content in the box were not the best.
I am looking forward to follow your progress on this model.
Have fun

I am going to use the kit as is for two reasons. One because I may already be way beyond my skill level with this and two because I am inclined to keep the kit authentic, even if the model is not. Of course I have a long way to go so who knows where I might end up. As an aside, I have kept a lookout for "used" kits for sale and at auction in my local area. I was lucky to find this one and did not expect it to be complete. I have also found other models that have been partially completed. This gives me some other things to work on in my spare time ...

Wow - This was my first kit which I built from October 1988 until September 1989.
Yes, it‘s not 100 % original to the real ship and some parts in the kit are not at premium quality.
But it is really fun to build this model and mine is still on display in my living room.
I‘m looking forward to follow your build

It is great to know of someone who has built this kit. I have already run into some unexpected challenges. The keel, cradle, rudder and other small parts are marked on a piece of plywood that is rock hard. I used a scroll saw to cut them out and had a lot of difficulty doing so. The results were mixed. I cut out the rudder last and decided to abandon the result and use a scrap piece of basswood instead. The instructions are not clear ( at least to me ... ) and the measurements in the English version are in inches. Despite my age I am used to metric so I am learning how to convert ( or look up in the German version). The diagrams are on very large pieces of paper and I haven't got the heart ( yet ) to cut them up into more practical sizes.

It looks like all I do is complain. The truth is that I am having a lot of fun building this kit too.

IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8602.JPG

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_8600.JPG

Hi Bruceelves
My first build was Adler von Lübeck (presented in the SoS Gallery) von Graupner. As Uwek has also mentioned it is advisable to replace the ropes and blocks of this original kit because of their lower quality.I wish you all the best and good luck specially by rigging .
I also recommend to make a real deck planking instead of using the fake deck plate drawn with black lines .
Kind regards and enjoy your modeling

Hello Brivelves,

this is how my Mayflower looks after almost 35 years.
I only used the parts which were inclused in the kit.

View attachment 397687
Nice work,Nersch
I also had to use of the delivered parts 40 years ago by Adler von Lübeck Graupner,because we did not have to much alternatives to buy the replacements blocks ropes etc.In those days there were many many model ship builders but less parts to buy,nowadays large possibility to buy all different material in different qualities and tools,but a limited number of model ship builders.
My Adler von Lübeck in the attacment
Kind Regards

IMG_3597.png

IMG_3595.png

Hello there Nersch

Thank you for the picture. It is much more instructive that the one on the box. I am currently working on the rudder and will post some pics when done.

Hello Brucelves,

I‘m looking forward to follow your progress. Please let me know if you need photos from certain details.
To be frank, I do not remember too much from this build 35 years ago, but I can provide some photos if needed.

This is dejavu, actually this was my first wooden kit I ever build. It was in the beginning of the 80's stil in elementary school.
Over 40 years ago, gosh we are getting old.
Thanks for sharing.

Time for a Mayflower update. With regards to rock hard plywood, I have discovered that brute force seems to work best. Building this model has been a challenge and I have not yet got to the rigging! I have read ahead and have also managed to match numbers on the diagrams to notes in the instruction book. Speaking of which - the date at the end of the instructions is February 1967.

And there is an interesting statement at the beginning of the rigging instructions.
"The individual steps are so clearly shown in the plan sketches as to render a description superfluous."
O boy!!

I was going to ask a question about futtock chains and necklaces but I took a look at the pictures of the finished model provided above and I think I have figured it out.

I will provide some pictures of my own shortly.

Here are some pictures as promised. Please don't look too closely! There is still much to do. I am looking forward to my first acquaintance with more complicated rigging than the St. Roch. The colour scheme does not match what is in the instructions but I couldn't leave the side pieces natural because the patterns embossed on one side had bled over to the other. I have not yet tackled the decals and do not know what to expect. They are probably at least 40 years old. I will try the small one on the transom first and see how it goes.IMG_8887.JPGIMG_8886.JPGIMG_8885.JPG

Ok. Just put on some of the decals. Whew! They almost fit correctly. And they are extremely fragile. Maybe they were this fragile to start with…. In any case I will now wait to see if they stick. I wasn’t sure if I would even get this far.

IMG_8889.jpeg

Back