Mamoli Catalina MV51

Crypton, I just started this kit. Your completed model is beautiful; I hope I can do as well. The sails have a nice head-to-wind ripple look to them.
I am having trouble getting the frames to sit at the proper depth on the keel piece and square and level properly so as to fit on the initial rubbing strake(s) (red in your model). I need to get that right in order to place the tumbledown coaming properly aligned with the bevels. I've been through a number of disassemblies on various frames using alcohol to dissolve my white glue.
This is my first "serious" ship model. Did you need to do a lot of adjusting to get that part right? I do have a good flat table and various jigs and measurement tools but I don't think the keel and frames were cut very precisely. The plans are good though, in my opinion. Instructions, well not so much.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I remember struggling with this too. In the end I put the white border first and cover the gaps with the rubbing strakes. The white border was soaked and streamed to be able to fit it and glued with superglue/gel. Good luck with your model!

I remember struggling with this too. In the end I put the white border first and cover the gaps with the rubbing strakes. The white border was soaked and streamed to be able to fit it and glued with superglue/gel. Good luck with your model!
Thank you so much; it is reassuring to see that you struggled with that given that you are a Master modeler a la "Le requin". I looked at some of your other build photos; amazing!
When you say ""white Border" I assume you are speaking about the coaming pieces that are above the rubbing strake that you painted white?
I also thought about doing that procedure

Your advice has restored my faith in building this model correctly. Thank you again.
I chose this model because of a trip to Netherlands and my viewing the 'barge-style' Dutch boats. I consider them a unique design of a shallow watercraft, similar to the American 'catboat' for our shallow East coast bays.

Crypton, Can you tell me how you did the windows and skylights in your Mamoli Catalina? I see from your photos you did not use the blue material which is shown on the kit box. Your model's windows look much better and more realistic. I do not like the Mamoli kit blue plastic material method.
Thanks for any advice.

For the windows I use black mirror cardstock. If you look for it on internet, I’m sure you will find it. There are also other colors of this metallic coated paper. Good luck with your ship!

Back