Make your rope on a rope walk

I must have come in the backdoor first time there. Colors showed this time. Ordered beige
Thats a perfect color for rope. Those source threads are really tiny, I went through a lot in my first attempts with it but now am fairly good with them.

I bought some serger thread, It's Coats Overlock 100% polyester. No size or any info on the package. It makes real fuzzy, crummy rope. Fuzzier than the cheap stuff I took off my wife's sewing machine table. So I take it there is good polyester and bad. I was thinking the poly was better than cotton as far as fuzziness was concerned but I guess that's not the case. I also noticed that this was Coats, not Coats and Clark. Is that maybe a clue that it's not the best? My coats cotton works pretty wel. I made some rope with uphostery thread that turned out very well ( no fuzzies) but its too heavy for small ropes. I'm guessing I should stick with the types recommended on these rope making threads. Unfortunately they aren't available in town. Maybe I should wait and see how Wawak is to deal with. I hate waiting :) :)

Hi frankieg,
Buying low cost gears in AU in my opinion is a bit of a problem and I don't really have a solution for you except, Small Parts in QLD have some good quality stuff but they are expensive, otherwise RC car replacement gears might be an option there might be Ebay stores in AU that sell gears.

As for thread Gutermann is easily available from stores like Spotlight.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Stephen.

What about Lego gears? They have quite a selection and is not too pricey

gears.png

OK I got my Serafil 300 tex 10 thread and made up a 2x3 rope. It turned out right around .3mm. Really nice twist, I'm pleased. I would post pictures but it's just too small. I do have a question and I'm sure I've seen the answer but I can't find it. The Serafil 300 tex 10 is right hand twist, right? So if I continue to twist it that way it twists itself into left hand twist. I want right hand rope so I have to untwist the thread and retwist it to left hand so it will end up as right hand rope? I hope you follow that, I got confused writing it :)

Why would you make right hand rope? All ropes on a ship are lefthand except cable laid.

OK I got my Serafil 300 tex 10 thread and made up a 2x3 rope. It turned out right around .3mm. Really nice twist, I'm pleased. I would post pictures but it's just too small. I do have a question and I'm sure I've seen the answer but I can't find it. The Serafil 300 tex 10 is right hand twist, right? So if I continue to twist it that way it twists itself into left hand twist. I want right hand rope so I have to untwist the thread and retwist it to left hand so it will end up as right hand rope? I hope you follow that, I got confused writing it :)
Don, a suggestion. I have found that when taking close-up pics with my phone it won't focus well if I get too close to the subject. However if I stay far enough away to get a good focus, then stay at that distance and zoom in I can take some good closups. Here's an example, it's the USB charging cable for my phone (just something handy to snap a pic of). These were all from the same physical distance just using the zoom. Of course different phones different results. I have a Samsung S20.

16551508770176780856364105966414.jpg

16551507129102712298435591774495.jpg

16551509723314980488017820893914.jpg

Glenn

Why would you make right hand rope? All ropes on a ship are lefthand except cable laid.

It's the exact opposite ;-) All ropes on a ship are hawser-laid (so called right handed, better said Z-Laid). "Only" (usually) cables are S-Laid (so called left handed).

;-)

Dirk

Don, a suggestion. I have found that when taking close-up pics with my phone it won't focus well if I get too close to the subject. However if I stay far enough away to get a good focus, then stay at that distance and zoom in I can take some good closups. Here's an example, it's the USB charging cable for my phone (just something handy to snap a pic of). These were all from the same physical distance just using the zoom. Of course different phones different results. I have a Samsung S20.

View attachment 313664

View attachment 313660

View attachment 313665

Glenn
I have a PC and an Iphone. They don't seem to like each other much so I use an old Sony camera for all my posting.

It's the exact opposite ;-) All ropes on a ship are hawser-laid (so called right handed, better said Z-Laid). "Only" (usually) cables are S-Laid (so called left handed).

;-)

Dirk
Your right, it's confusion to talk about. S rope is left and Z rope is right. :)

Perfect. I thought there may be a language barrier. So this means that if you are using single strand (1x3) you have to unwind the thread before you can wind it? I just noticed making some Z 2x3 that it doesn't really unwind because with 2 strands they get in each others way. Here is my latest attempt with Serafil 300 tex 10 Z thread. It's .030" dia.

Oh, Glenn. This pic was taken with my Iphone. It ain't hard at all to transfer them to my PC. I was led astray by someone. Since this is the first pic from my phone that I've posted I think it's OK. Should get better. Thanks

IMG_0223.JPG

Perfect. I thought there may be a language barrier. So this means that if you are using single strand (1x3) you have to unwind the thread before you can wind it? I just noticed making some Z 2x3 that it doesn't really unwind because with 2 strands they get in each others way. Here is my latest attempt with Serafil 300 tex 10 Z thread. It's .030" dia.

Oh, Glenn. This pic was taken with my Iphone. It ain't hard at all to transfer them to my PC. I was led astray by someone. Since this is the first pic from my phone that I've posted I think it's OK. Should get better. Thanks

View attachment 313674
There you go Don! You have some good looking right laid rope now. All of my rope is right laid or Z laid. When the time comes I will experiment with cable laid for the anchor rope.

Back