Make your rope on a rope walk

BenD,could you please order some extra spools I will buy them of you. what size spools do you buy?im looking at buying the tan(186) black(000)and maybe the brown(696) all in the sizes of e121 and e151.
I buy them in all sizes and have those colors.

Also Zubzero, That is some beautiful woodwork.

Same here, I could use some 722 and 696 of both.
I have both colors.

I will order extra thread and add the spools to my website. The only problem is it takes a month for them to arrive. At the moment I'll have to look at my inventory of threads and see if I can surrender some, last month was busy and I went through a lot.

Another thing to note about the Gutermann E thread is that their minimum size is 10,000 meters per spool. It's going to cost a lot per spool but for most of you, that will make a lifetime supply of rope.

And I’m in no rush for the thread benD,I am happy to wait for the stock to arrive I’ve got a lot of work to do on the ship.

Thank you benD,I will keep checking your site for the thread and when it is put on I will place my order.

I plan on selling this thread at some point since it's hard to get anywhere but directly from warehouses. There was an online store in Germany that had all the sizes and colors available but that closed down.

Looks like I'll have to make a larger order this month.
I would be very interested in Purchasing E121 from you...Cheers

I buy them in all sizes and have those colors.

Also Zubzero, That is some beautiful woodwork.

I have both colors.

I will order extra thread and add the spools to my website. The only problem is it takes a month for them to arrive. At the moment I'll have to look at my inventory of threads and see if I can surrender some, last month was busy and I went through a lot.

Another thing to note about the Gutermann E thread is that their minimum size is 10,000 meters per spool. It's going to cost a lot per spool but for most of you, that will make a lifetime supply of rope.
Brilliant idea Ben
I'll definitely leverage this opportunity

When you use Gutermann E151 to make rope. How thick is the rope when you use 3x1 ?

When I use Serafil it will be around 0,25 mm. 3x1

I might make a simple guide for people so there is less guesswork and experimentation.
I am really amazed by your answer, Ben. As a businessman, you should keep your recipe secrets, instead, you will guide us with simple guidelines and even provide the spools of threads. THANK YOU for helping us!

E151 3x1 makes a 0.35mm diameter rope
E121 3x1 makes a 0.25mm diameter rope

I might make a simple guide for people so there is less guesswork and experimentation.
I have some interest in obtaining some E121 as well.

Thanks Ben
E121 is the same like Serafil. So I don't have to experience with Gütermann. The only problem is when you make 2x1, 3x1 or 4x1 (just a single yarn) you can only make LH rope. Serafil is 120/2 and is RH. Wen you start on your machine it first start to unwind wen you make RH with a single yarn.
But who will notice it that 0,25 is LH or RH.

Thanks Ben
E121 is the same like Serafil. So I don't have to experience with Gütermann. The only problem is when you make 2x1, 3x1 or 4x1 (just a single yarn) you can only make LH rope. Serafil is 120/2 and is RH. Wen you start on your machine it first start to unwind wen you make RH with a single yarn.
But who will notice it that 0,25 is LH or RH.
Gutermann E is multiple filaments all lightly twisted in the right-hand direction. It's similar to real rope-making yarn in that it's not a twisted pair. However, when using multiple threads it's hard to make a left-hand rope that looks good. It only makes nice right-hand rope which is why I never released left-hand versions. I've found that normal thread which has 2 or more pairs makes left-hand rope much better when using multiple threads per hook. So I think Serifil would be a good thread for that. I'll be looking into a supplier for Serifil at some point.

For your problem, using a single yarn of Gutermann E 3x1 really takes no time to unwind so making it right-hand is easy. Not that you can tell with a 0.25mm rope without a magnifying glass or a good eye.

But it can also be done differently. You can 're-programme' polyester into its new shape. You have to heat the rope for a short time, so that the polyester is 'programmed' into its new shape. This can be done by wrapping the rope around a large metal disc. I use soup cans for this, which have been made to measure. Cut off the sharp edges to be safe.

After the rope has been taken out of the ropewalk, a knot is tied at the ends and when the rope has stopped curling. It is wrapped around the tin. The beginning and end are fastened with a small clip . Watch out for kinks, as they can cause permanent deformation of the rope during the heating process. The place of the clamp also remains visible after the treatment. Place the beginning and the end of the rope there, which can be cut off.

View attachment 285320
View attachment 285321
View attachment 285322

Then the tin with the rope is placed in an oven pre-heated to 1750 for 5 minutes (NB. No hotter than 190 0and no longer than 5½ minutes. If you heat it too long or too hot it will melt and your rope will fail) . Take the tin out of the oven (with an oven glove) and remove the rope. It keeps its shape, does not fray, and the tension that was on the rope after twisting is also gone.

View attachment 285323
View attachment 285324
View attachment 285325

When you now look to the rope the unravelling is gone.

View attachment 285326

Hope you enjoy this topic about rope making. If there are questions I’ll answer them with love. If you want to share your knowledge about this subject please be free to do it here. If there is something wrong about what I’ve wrote please correct me. No problem at all. We are all here to learn and getting better in our wonderful hobby.

Edit 1: In another topic I showed my serving tool https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/serving-tool.7615/

Edit 2: If you interrested in the codes that are mentioned on the different brands of yarn you can look here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_textile_measurement sometimes a shop where you can buy will give you the thickness of the yarn in mm. but most of the time you have to measure by your self.
Thank you very much ! This is very informative and described !

Thanks Ben,I’ve placed an order much appreciated for your help on supplying this thread.

I ordered 2 x E121 early Mch and it's here already. Nicely packaged and undamaged. Kudos BenD, wonderful service and price. Cheers Beer

I'm having a bit of trouble making some small rope. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and can bail me out. I got some Skala 240 Tex 12. I'm trying to make ratlines so I need to make a 3x1 rope which would be .007" or 3/8" in 1:48 scale. That's actually a little small that's beside the point.
I can't seem to spin up a 3x1 rope with this stuff. I can spin a 3x2 of the same thread but the 3x1 just knots up or (usually) breaks. I just doesn't seem to want to spin. I don't have a motor on my tailstock so that may be part/all of my problem. Any ropewalkers have any ideas? Is it just too small to work?

Back