Main course running rigging diagram

Doe's anyone have a diagram showing the running rigging terminology, say related to the main course sail on an 18th century British ship. I have the spreadsheet to scale the ropes etc but I can't find where some of the less common names might be situated, eg Breast rope, Martnet legs and others

Thanks

I assume that Kurt is referring to using 'Google' to search for the books.

Thanks, the links will take some reading but it looks like they will fit the bill.
I googled the specific words rather than rigging terminology
Keep safe
Mick

Do you hate READING? Do you like PICTURES?

Get this book! It illustrates each line for a typical 18th century ship.

Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson - A Step-By-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig

View attachment 321587 View attachment 321591
If you want to have a Looking inside please check these topics aout:

If you want to have a Looking inside please check these topics aout:

The Petersson books are great even if you have an "Anatomy of the Ship" as well. The later may indicate all the lines but while showing termination at a cleat, belay pin or bollard to tie off too, it does not always show the starting point; there's two ends to a rope. This is where Petersson's books help fill in the gaps.

The Petersson books are great even if you have an "Anatomy of the Ship" as well. The later may indicate all the lines but while showing termination at a cleat, belay pin or bollard to tie off too, it does not always show the starting point; there's two ends to a rope. This is where Petersson's books help fill in the gaps.
EXACTLY! What Petersson does with 18th century rigging with a simple picture takes one paragraph or even a page or two of text in R.C. Anderson's book to figure out where a line begins and ends in a 17th century ship. Even then, you have to pick out that one sentence and tiny incomplete drawing for the line's style by nationality. For a beginner, it takes reading Anderson's text two to three times to get it right. I tried to show the beginning and end points for some of the lines in my last build log for La Couronne, and most of those lines are guesswork from typical lines on known ships. There are no complete belaying plans for most ships of that time. You have to work from typical artist's images from the time such as this:
3054072406_6a7ad577fc_k.jpg

This is SO MUCH EASIER:
1660093212875.png

Last edited:
Back