Made some Tapered Mandrels

They have I guess as many uses as anyone could think such as to scribe lines, make (press) tiny holes in decking or planking to mark where tree nails go. To position parts or hold a part while gluing, etc.

As far as how. Well the very short answer is a lathe with an adjustable (angle) headstock. They took almost two hours to make one. I used to sell these a long time ago on SOS.
The decorative segments are the most demanding and I have replaced that technique with knurls. But the person that requested I make these wanted them the old way. They are made from 1/4 inch stainless steel bar stock and polished w emery cloth.

They are about 135mm or about 5.5 inches long

They have I guess as many uses as anyone could think such as to scribe lines, make (press) tiny holes in decking or planking to mark where tree nails go. To position parts or hold a part while gluing, etc.

As far as how. Well the very short answer is a lathe with an adjustable (angle) headstock. They took almost two hours to make one. I used to sell these a long time ago on SOS.
The decorative segments are the most demanding and I have replaced that technique with knurls. But the person that requested I make these wanted them the old way. They are made from 1/4 inch stainless steel bar stock and polished w emery cloth.
Heat treated/tempered? Just wondering....

Thank you Jwallkc --

Philski
Unfortunately, I do not have any way of heat-treating them at the moment. As long as they are used for wood modeling, they should last a while.

Here is another variation I just made using my knurling attachment.

tapered-mandrel02.jpg

I am not sure. It depends on how much I want to charge and how much people are willing to pay. I know that is very open ended response. I have to think on it.

Donnie they look like they would be very useful. I guess I missed them when you first offered them for sale. I would have definitely picked up a few. With that said, I had to find my own. I hope you don't mind me linking what I found, in case you decide not to make more.

I found these titanium toothpicks that I use for scribing, CA application and a host of other uses.

Yep. Those are very nice. Well, Mass production will alway beat out anything (I can make) hand made if it is available.
I used to love building electronic things. As time went on, it became cheaper to buy than build. However I guess the satisfaction of not doing it yourself is gone.

Yep. Those are very nice. Well, Mass production will alway beat out anything (I can make) hand made if it is available.
I used to love building electronic things. As time went on, it became cheaper to buy than build. However I guess the satisfaction of not doing it yourself is gone.
Donnie,
Do you remember Heathkit in Benton Harbor MI. I grew up building some of their kits in fact our first color tv was a Heathkit.
I still remember the look on my wife’s face when I laid out all those individual components. No integrated components back then. Good times.

Yes, I built some heathkit and it was a great time back then.

Back