Lynx by Panart [Completed Build]

Gibby, you've done a nice job of working with what was given to you.
I put together kits, and restored old models for a friends shop. Of the 30 or so kits I built/finished/repaired, even the best ones had things that would make a sailor's eye twitch. ;)
I'm primarily a scratch builder because they don't offer kits of the boats I want to build, as a result I have only myself to blame when I get something wrong.

Click on the signal flags in my signature to see some of my stumbling in progress...
I understand what you mean. For the longest I have been trying to find plans for the orca from jaws and haven't been able to come up with anything other than plans for an RC model. I have no intentions of ever doing an RC model only static models

Finaly had a day off from work and a day off from the gym on the same day. So it was tome to put some work in on the lynx. Ended up pulling off what ratlines I have put on, thank goodness it wasnt many. Ended up redoing them because they just looked too far spaced apart. This time I put them more spaced about 5mm in the spacing used some spare wood as a template or jig to help. 20220820_162725.jpg20220820_162730.jpg20220820_162746.jpg20220820_193148.jpg20220820_193159.jpg20220820_193204.jpg

Stunning build, Gibby. You've really done an awesome job so far.

I have one recommendation, which is to give the hawser for your anchor some more sag. It doesn't seem to be hanging quite the way a heavy rope would.

I think she looks really good. But the anchor rope does need to be fixed. The yellow you used is different but I like it. I have the same one but she is still on the shelf.
I was planning on using the yellow ocher but couldnt find any so I used what yellow I had and then came over top with some Danish oil to age it a little bit.

Well got the rest of the shroud lines done for the mainmast, and even got the top section put on. I decided to divert from the plans some for the top section, it said to put wood as binders for the top section but I decided to lash them together. I like how it turned out. Next I'll paint the rest of the painted section for the mainmast and start on some ratlines. 20220826_104348.jpg20220826_104416.jpg20220826_104425.jpg20220826_104436.jpg

Got some blocks hung on the foremast and started working on the 1st of 3 yards that go on the foremast. Also got the spanker yard hung on there too. View attachment 326157View attachment 326158View attachment 326160View attachment 326161View attachment 326162
Good morning Derek. Lovely rigging. Your ratlines are super neat as are the serving on your shrouds. The rope mast binders are consistent with your mast bands and does fit your model. They must have been concerned with the topmast strength to use such large binders- looks cool tho. Cheers Grant

Good morning Derek. Lovely rigging. Your ratlines are super neat as are the serving on your shrouds. The rope mast binders are consistent with your mast bands and does fit your model. They must have been concerned with the topmast strength to use such large binders- looks cool tho. Cheers Grant
Hello there Grant.
Per the plans it had me using premade plywood boards as the binding but with the diameter of the rods it didnt fit and didnt look right, so I ended up going with the lashing.

The serving on the shrouds were a bit of a pain in the butt, but was worth it.

20220831_055354.jpg

Got a little bit more done tonight. Finished the one side of the main mast ratlines and decided to make the spanker boom to finally get an over all length of her. She is 35" in length, 24" in height, and 12" in width. By far the largest ship I have done so far. 20220831_231950.jpg20220831_232002.jpg

Back