Lt Thomas pullings, 1805, on deck of HMS ‘Surprise’

A 75mm model by Alexandros Models
Note the castings of the rope and blocks supplied were replaced with wooden blocks and rope obtained from Crafty Sailor.
The resin cast deck was incorrectly cast at 90 degrees to the actual correct alignment. Therefore I covered the deck with Cherry wood planking and tree nails at the correct alignment.
The figure was painted mainly in oils.
670FB48B-D87C-4C60-B3F2-80AE855158B7.jpegA5A0B0B2-D8BF-44E0-847C-E14FEAC10BD2.jpeg947245B1-DB72-4071-A3B5-35FE311052A1.jpeg9F7B7D90-E8F9-4615-B3B5-7B640E344BAE.jpeg4C08028B-C993-40AA-A3EE-901FFE28B098.jpeg

Very nice, indeed, but > the resin cast deck was incorrectly cast at 90 degrees to the actual correct alignment. <..??
According to the shape of the bulwark, it is a ship's gun on the stern(or on bow).
Accordingly, the originally proposed direction of the boards is then correct.
Wishing success "
Tom

Thanks tomarack, re:
Very nice, indeed, but > the resin cast deck was incorrectly cast at 90 degrees to the actual correct alignment. <..??
According to the shape of the bulwark, it is a ship's gun on the stern(or on bow).
Accordingly, the originally proposed direction of the boards is then correct.
Wishing success "
Tom

I came across these comments about the model elsewhere. An interesting discussion:

Quote ‘I don't think so, and I base myself on the railing (particularly the decoration) and the apparent size of the gun. Also, stern chasing guns were usually located below the captain's cabin (i.e. fully enclosed, so no rail). Anything located at the stern deck would most likely be a type of swivel gun rather than one on a carriage - again, this has to do with attempting to keep the point of gravity as low as possible (the large masts and sails do give an increased risk of the ship topping sideways). Unquote
And
Quote ‘ I think this would be a lower level gun because of the size of the barrel. Bow chaser would be more comfortable with a smaller barrel but I think the cannon would be more diagonal with the deck planking being at the bow of the ship’ Unquote

Back