Low Low tech

I was about to buy what I would call a miter cutter before Christmas. It was advertised as made in Canada with free delivery for $175.
Then I realized that the price was in US funds. With the monetary exchange and tax this came to a whopping $268. Made in Canada but in US funds. Okay.
I then found a miter box designed for hobbyists/ modelers on Amazon. This cost me a booming $20 delivered. This is one tiny item but is perfect for my needs: cutting miters and straight cuts on small pieces of wood. Although it only does 45 and 90 degrees I couldn’t justify the large price difference to buy the other one.

15F65894-C318-4628-84C0-50E8E09C9FB1.jpeg

$175 for a mitre box in any currency must mean it's made of unobtainium and automatically corrects even the slightest human error such that the cut is perfect every time ;).

Sometime you see crazy prices on amazon (and other sites), I think it's just something to do with the software, that it sometimes automatically assigns stupid prices that no-one would pay. Even $20 seems a bit steep to me!

I still have that mitre box but don't use it much anymore. When finishing a cut I always ended up dragging the saw blade across the metal hence dullng it. So I switched to a plastic mitre box and go through them at a regular pace....I end up cutting through the plastic and have to replace them on a regular schedule LOL!

I have one just like it and still use it from time to time. Does well for what it was intended for. Of course the grooves down in the bottom really help out in holding pieces.

I bought a similar tiny miter box from Micro-Mark for about $20. Also made of aluminum. I mounted it to my bench. Micro-Mark also sells the saw blades to fit.
Untitled.png

I still have that mitre box but don't use it much anymore. When finishing a cut I always ended up dragging the saw blade across the metal hence dullng it. So I switched to a plastic mitre box and go through them at a regular pace....I end up cutting through the plastic and have to replace them on a regular schedule LOL!
Save your blade.... I use a piece of scrap wood at the bottom of the aluminum miter box and no more damaged blades :=)

I was about to buy what I would call a miter cutter before Christmas. It was advertised as made in Canada with free delivery for $175.
Then I realized that the price was in US funds. With the monetary exchange and tax this came to a whopping $268. Made in Canada but in US funds. Okay.
I then found a miter box designed for hobbyists/ modelers on Amazon. This cost me a booming $20 delivered. This is one tiny item but is perfect for my needs: cutting miters and straight cuts on small pieces of wood. Although it only does 45 and 90 degrees I couldn’t justify the large price difference to buy the other one.

View attachment 348038
I have one and use it occasionally. To prevent any saw damage I've glued a piece of wood on the inside.

NOW THE SLICER IS ON MY LIST Y7OU CAN PURCHASE A DUPLICATOR SO YOU CAN PRCISLY MAKE MULTYPLE CUTS JUST ME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

$175 for a mitre box in any currency must mean it's made of unobtainium and automatically corrects even the slightest human error such that the cut is perfect every time ;).

Sometime you see crazy prices on amazon (and other sites), I think it's just something to do with the software, that it sometimes automatically assigns stupid prices that no-one would pay. Even $20 seems a bit steep to me!
I sometimes thought it had to do with money laundering. No one would pay $1500 for an aluminum miter box except someone who wanted to be able to show a legitimate source for the money. I made that money by selling items on Amazon.

View attachment 348038
Goes to show, a little research and you don't have to spend a lot for good results. And I take the advice, put a piece of wood in the base to save saw blades

Yep, I reckon £4 or£5 if that.. I have one about 20 yrs old, so think it to have been about£3

I put a piece of thin MDF or ply in it which can be replaced as required.

I tried to purchase some small flags for my Bluenose from a company in Toronto, Canada since I'm only 4hours away. Ran into the same problem of price gouging when they wanted US funds, about $37 per flag plus shipping. I will stick to ordering directly from reputable companies in the US.

Back