Loosening Titebond II

I have a couple of frames on my Alert that I may need to remove and reshape. I have seen various ways to loosen Titebond II (yellow PVA) including heat, vinegar, alcohol, etc. What would be best for removing a delicate frame without breaking the frame, harming adjacent frames or the MDF jig?

Thanks

I have a couple of frames on my Alert that I may need to remove and reshape. I have seen various ways to loosen Titebond II (yellow PVA) including heat, vinegar, alcohol, etc. What would be best for removing a delicate frame without breaking the frame, harming adjacent frames or the MDF jig?

Thanks
I had success ungluing parts by dampening shop towel with isopropyl alcohol and wrapping it around the joint that needed to be unglued. Left it for 45 minutes to hour. It worked quite well. Best of luck!

I am afraid MDF may disintegrate under some or all PVA loosening agents as water, alcohol or acetone. Water will disintegrate MDF 100%.
Before applying on actual MDF frame I would take a scrap piece of MDF and tried dampening it in these agents.

For the best affect, you need to fully emerge the part in isopropyl alcohol for a few hours to soften the glue.

Try to use a very sharp (new) blade and slide between the joints to cut the gap. When you opened the gap, using the cotton swabs introduces some hot water, and try prying the part putting some pressure.

I am afraid MDF may disintegrate under some or all PVA loosening agents as water, alcohol or acetone. Water will disintegrate MDF 100%.
Before applying on actual MDF frame I would take a scrap piece of MDF and tried dampening it in these agents.
You think maybe MDF is not the right material to make a jig from? They’re usually made from plywood.

Back