Looking for Black Hornbeam Source

Hey Everyone,
I've been putting together wood requirements for an upcoming project. I've placed an order with Dave @ Dlumberyard for some of it. Also an order with Sergey @bibigon for other more rare wood that Dave doesn't have, specifically Black Hornbeam. Well Sergey let me know that some of his outbound packages don't get through customs, due to the conflict in Ukraine. I have been following my package and got excited when it made it to JFK NY US Customs. But then the weight of the package went from 4,650 grams down to 290 grams. Although I'm an optimist, I fear the weight change is indicative of the package being returned to Russia.

If so I need to find another source for Black Hornbeam as I cannot work with Ebony due to health reasons. Does anyone have a US or EU source of processed stabilized Black Hornbeam? You will have my endless friendship. :) ;)

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Ken

Hah, Paul, no worries. Interestingly enough Sergey said, some packages get through and some don't. He has not been able to determine what the influencing factors are other than "someone in customs getting up on the wrong side of the bed". ROTF He even tried saying on the package that I was his Uncle and it was a gift. :confused: Looks like my customs person is a meanie!

Even Sergey said Black Hornbeam is difficult to get right now. I'm hoping someone knows of a source or maybe has some surplus inventory. If not, I'll figure out something.

I've had two orders make it through without difficulty (though one took about three weeks and the other took three months). I know of one other member of our forum who received only a partial order. And all this before the 'conflict'. I have a sample piece of black hornbeam he sent me that you are welcome to, but it won't likely meet your needs for your scratch build.

Staining with ink may be your next best option...

i have Hornbeam but it is not dyed black but you can dye it with Higgins drawing ink you can also use pearwood

someplace on the forum there was a thread about ebonizing wood

Thanks Dave, that may be an option for me. I'll let you know. Oh, I did send Ev an email asking her if you guys knew of any US source. Long shot I know. If you had it it would have been in my order you shipped this morning. Thumbsup

Paul, incredibly, this package made it from RU to JFK US Customs in 6 days!! I'll hang tight (difficult for meROTF). I do know if your international package is not going to make it, you are notified of its being held up, returned or destroyed. Although destruction only happens in the event of infestation.

found it go here

it is hard to send wood from countrt to country many woods are ban from leaving or entering countries

when i ship wood out of the US i mark package content "model ship parts"

Dave, what am I missing? Is there a Black Hornbeam source on one of the pages in both/either posts? I read through a few pages, but not sure what I'm looking for.

After watching the videos, this looks promising. t some tests when I get a chance and share my findings. Thanks again Dave.

Well, turns out I worried for nothing. My wood arrived today from Sergey (@bibigon), 7 days from Russia to New Jersey!! Not business days, total days! I will be going out to run some errands later and will be sure to buy myself a NJ lottery ticket as, "this must be my lucky day".

Thanks everyone for your input and help. It was not for nothing. I learned how to ebonize woods! I found another EU based website for Black Hornbeam for emergency use in the future!

See you soon!
Ken

Hoss
You are going to love that wood. I got mine from Sergey last year and it is nothing less than excellent. Watch when cutting it. Mine has a weird funky odor coming from it as the blade passes through. Probably not adviseable to breathe in.

Back