Lindberg's Robert E. Lee Steamboat

Since I moved to Atlanta 8 years ago, I discovered that my great grandfather served in the 3rd Division; 15th Army Corps; in the Army of the Tennessee under Sherman's command. He was captured during the battle of Resaca GA in May of 1864 and was sent to Andersonville Prison Camp in Ga. He was 16 yrs of age at the time. Luckily for him, he was freed in a prisoner exchange within one month at Andersonville, and continued on with Sherman's march to Savannah.
Because of my research on this campaign, I stumbled across the tragic disaster of the Sultana side-wheeler that happened on the Mississippi River that took the lives of so many released Union prisoners on their voyage to return home. I was amazed that this is the worst maritime disaster in US History and that it was passed over by history due to the end of the Civil War and with Lincoln's assassination.
I was planning to start work on a 2nd wooden boat but I am know thinking of picking up Lindberg's Robert E. Lee steamboat and trying to convert it over to the Sultana to pay tribute for such a grim period in our country's history. It seems that there is only one photo of the Sultan, which is black and white, to use as a reference. Does anyone know of any other sites or pictures that would describe the Sultana? Appreciate any assistance that is offered ;)

Last edited:
Jim - I checked out the Sultana Museum's webpage. The 14ft model built by Gene Salecker is amazing. Too bad there is only one picture. I just went to Amazon and purchased a hardbound copy of "Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History" by Alan Huffman for more history on this boat.

Side note: The records at Andersonville show that my great grandfather (on my mother's side) was captured on 8/18/1864 in Atlanta and not Resaca like I was told by my parents. His prison I.D. # was 35367. He lied about his age when enlisted and said his BD was 1846, but he was 16 yrs of age and born in 1848. He was released in a prisoner exchange in Atlanta on Sept. 19, 1864 and rejoined his ranks. He was a Private in F Company; his Regiment was 15th Michigan Infantry and, after reaching Savannah, went into N. Carolina and ended his service in Mid 1865.

Jim - I checked out the Sultana Museum's webpage. The 14ft model built by Gene Salecker is amazing. Too bad there is only one picture. I just went to Amazon and purchased a hardbound copy of "Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History" by Alan Huffman for more history on this boat.

Side note: The records at Andersonville show that my great grandfather (on my mother's side) was captured on 8/18/1864 in Atlanta and not Resaca like I was told by my parents. His prison I.D. # was 35367. He lied about his age when enlisted and said his BD was 1846, but he was 16 yrs of age and born in 1848. He was released in a prisoner exchange in Atlanta on Sept. 19, 1864 and rejoined his ranks. He was a Private in F Company; his Regiment was 15th Michigan Infantry and, after reaching Savannah, went into N. Carolina and ended his service in Mid 1865.
NPS record of the 15th Michigan: https://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units-detail.htm?battleUnitCode=UMI0015RI

Back