lifeboats on the Le Soleil Royal

I am working on the 2 small boats positioned on the mid ship deck my question I see no rigging to lift the boats up and over the rail and into the water? should there be? and if so, where does this rigging go?

Hi; from what I have read and seen, they would ropes with pullies located at the yards' ends of the fore, and main masts which would be pulled, attached, then with the help of crews lifted and directed by them to the side, then slid on the hull's side vertical protective beams down to the water; the canoes' positions in the ships varied a lot with the ships...

Such rigging was almost always stood down when not needed thus rarely seen in models. A lot of working rigging was temporary in this way. But you can model it by finding belay points on the masts and attaching block and tackle rigs to the boats. Some research will provide how this is done…maybe a forum member has an example at hand…

The only model kit I've seen something like than on is Panart's San Felipe and I have to believe that Jim's comment about standing down the rigging when not needed is spot on. The San Felipe set up has lines from the foremast and main mast supporting a block and tackle. See attached picture--boats weren't installed at that point. If you want to try something like this I can send you a pic of the plans.

482 Feb 7, 2009.JPG

The only model kit I've seen something like than on is Panart's San Felipe and I have to believe that Jim's comment about standing down the rigging when not needed is spot on. The San Felipe set up has lines from the foremast and main mast supporting a block and tackle. See attached picture--boats weren't installed at that point. If you want to try something like this I can send you a pic of the plans.

View attachment 344902
Thanks everyone for the information, I know those boats were heavy and i bet a job to get into the water, in an emergency I guess they jumped and swam :) so using the name lifeboat is probably a stretch:oops:

You're right. On ships like the Soleil Royal, they would just referred to them at "boats" and they were used primarily for ferrying people and goods from the shore to the ship. The crew was fairly expendable!

They were also used to pull the ship in narrow straights or if the wind was absent:) it is how the ships usually went into the port and were pushed against the docks before it was possible to throw ropes from them...They would also used in battles if the ship's masts were broken.....

They were also used to pull the ship in narrow straights or if the wind was absent:) it is how the ships usually went into the port and were pushed against the docks before it was possible to throw ropes from them...They would also used in battles if the ship's masts were broken.....
Or to cast the captain adrift in the event of a mutiny!

These boats were definitely no "LIFE-boats"
99% of the sailors were not able to swim - so falling over board was usually the "last falling"

Absolutely correct information given by the others

for all lifting activities on such a ship f.e. loading water barrels, guns / muzzles etc. they used tackles and the yard arms
At these times the ships had no other lifting devices or cranes, derricks or what so ever

Harland1.jpg

Harland2.jpg

plate76.jpg plate78.jpg

These boats were definitely no "LIFE-boats"
99% of the sailors were not able to swim - so falling over board was usually the "last falling"

Absolutely correct information given by the others

for all lifting activities on such a ship f.e. loading water barrels, guns / muzzles etc. they used tackles and the yard arms
At these times the ships had no other lifting devices or cranes, derricks or what so ever

View attachment 345457

View attachment 345458

View attachment 345459 View attachment 345460
I totally agree with wit you Axel -apart from having a Crew of more than 500 -there would never be enough lifeboats.

61Ga8TWmzhL._SX355_.jpg

51Nz-Eb-WxL.jpg

F-01-BOTES (13).jpg

149-JARCIA DE LABOR- ESTRUCTURA ESTRELLERAS.jpg

Awesome postings on how to lift ship’s boats and cargo! Thanks! One thing I gathered from my historical readings is that an “able bodied seaman” was an absolute expert in rigging and derigging block and tackle assists however they were needed. So the call from the Captain to launch his boat could be accomplished in minutes. Adding these temporary riggings to a model would be an interesting detail.

Was all this lifting tackle left in place? Maybe parts of it? I'm looking at that with modern eyes and with engineering and safety inspections it would take days to launch a boat like that now.

Was all this lifting tackle left in place? Maybe parts of it? I'm looking at that with modern eyes and with engineering and safety inspections it would take days to launch a boat like that now.
NOT TATH MUCH, BUT THERE COULD BE AROUND 80 SEAMEN TO DO IT. Sorry for the capital letters. These days there were no real ports today. the ship was anchored up so far from land, that few seamen could swim in land safety. we will have in mind that a big part of the crew was highjacked by Seaman's gang, and forced on, where they had to sign a contract (against their will) for 5 years.

All in All, the life of a seamen, weather chosen or forced, was a very hard life! and for us 21st century humans, un comprehensible!!!! I am thinking about the rigging. at least at the boat level! My question has turned into a very interesting topic, and as always,do to the participants!!

Back