Let’s Bond

Because of a screw up I made I decided I couldn’t live with I started some de-construction on a model. I used the same method as always: heat gun to melt the glue and then remove the affected pieces of wood. All of the pear wood came off easily.
With two pieces left I carried on. These last two were black Hornbeam I got from Sergey. I used Gorilla Glue on all pieces. Just short of setting the model on fire I gave up. Even though I could see that the glue was melting it held fast, like it was clamped down. Any ideas of what was going on?
Does Sergeys wood have a secret holding ingredient?
Any suggestions on an alternative way to get these pieces off?

i come across the same issues of taking thing apart. I came to the realization sometimes you have to cut, grind and sand the pieces off and there is no saving them.

it is true some woods glue much better than others some you will never get apart. Pieces of Basswood using Epoxy will never come apart because the wood is soft and porous and the expoy seeped into the wood.

Woods that have a waxy feel or have natural oils like Teak, Alaskan Yellow cedar, cypress, all cedars, rosewoods and many other tropical woods in time will come apart all by themselves.

European Hornbeam (blue Beech) in North America is one of those woods that glue well so getting it apart is a tough job.

Thanks for your responses. I contacted Gorilla Glue today and they advised that once the glue has dried there is no known solvent that will affect it. Talk about holding power!
I fired up the heat gun again and finally got the two pieces off. They are wrecked and in the garbage now. Some planks look like they have been in a fire. Oh well that gives me something to do tomorrow.

That's the one downfall with using yellow wood glue. Some modellers use PVA (white glue) as while it's designed for wood, it can be debunked with Isopropyl Alcohol or heat. Yellow glues bond is often stronger than the timber itself.

I personally use Gorilla Glues yellow wood glue. it bonds broken wood parts very well but like most glues does not work very well on clean butt joints.

I use Yellow Carpenters glue and Gorilla glue 90% of the time knowing full well that if it has to come apart it means cut and build new. Since most of my ships are RC I don't want them to ever come apart due to moisture.

I use Arleen’s quick dry tacky hobby glue that I get from my local hobby and craft store. Works great…holds great…and is more forgiving…

Back