Le Rochefort

It would be nice to have a group on this one as it is a nice starter scratch, but also offers some real challenges. But as Zoltan says we have to see. Unless there is somehow we can advertise this. (maybe in the General Topics section)

Yes if you guys can spread the word. I’ll be starting asap once I get the lumber. It will be slow slow going I’m sure.

ZOLY AND ALL, IT IS ABOUT TIME ADMINISTRATORS START PUSHING BUILDS OTHER THEN THE STANDARD. LOOKI WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ONTARIO AND NOW THE MATTHEW THESE ARE DONE BY MEMBERS OF SOS AND NO PUSH. HOW ABOUT IT GUYS GET OUT OF THE BOX YOU MIGHT ENJOY IT. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT ATTRACTS MEMBERSW TO SOS IS THE GROUP BUILDS, SEE HOW MANY WENT FROR THE BLANFORD EVEN NOW SOME BUILDS ARE STILL GOING ON. PUSH GUYS DO NOT BREST ON YOUR LAURALS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

ZOLY AND ALL, IT IS ABOUT TIME ADMINISTRATORS START PUSHING BUILDS OTHER THEN THE STANDARD. LOOKI WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ONTARIO AND NOW THE MATTHEW THESE ARE DONE BY MEMBERS OF SOS AND NO PUSH. HOW ABOUT IT GUYS GET OUT OF THE BOX YOU MIGHT ENJOY IT. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT ATTRACTS MEMBERSW TO SOS IS THE GROUP BUILDS, SEE HOW MANY WENT FROR THE BLANFORD EVEN NOW SOME BUILDS ARE STILL GOING ON. PUSH GUYS DO NOT BREST ON YOUR LAURALS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Don ,we cannot push people what to build or what their interest to be ,it is their choice

NOT SAYING NTO PUSH PEOPLE, JUST TO FOCUS ATTENTION ON DIFFERENT IDEAS, LOOK AT THE HAYLING HOY, NOTHING WRONG WITH ITJUST HOW IT WAS DONE BY THE STAFF AT SOS, THAT IS ALL I AM SAYING. HIGHLIGHT SOME OF THESE BUILDS, THE MATTHEW IS A GOOD EXAMPLE A LOT OF WORK WAS DONE ON IT. I DO NOT SEE VERY MANY COMENTS OTHER THEN MIKE41, DAVE S, MYSELF, I AM SURE YOU COULD MAKE SOME POSITIVE COMMENTS. ENOUGH MHAVE MORE ITEMS TO DO SAID MY STUFF. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hello all, I could well imagine that there is one or the other who would like to build a POF but does not dare to do it. If the Admin's could find a solution how to advertise for such a project, I think we could get a group together. I can only agree with @Uwek, in his post no. 9, it fulfils all the conditions for beginners in scratch building. Personally, I would have to do a balancing act, as I also build La Palme, but it would be a very good learning process that I would be happy to take along.

I am in discussion with Zoltan about this. As an example, when we did the Blandford GB (Group Build), we had at least about 25 people join up. As it turned out, (if I remember) only about 4 to 5 actually fully completed the project. The others started out and just abandoned it.
So, I can see that if Le Rochefort had 4 to 5 SERIOUS builders that go all the way to the end and are maintaining their log, then yes, I can and would support fewer numbers. Zoltan might disagree, but I would rather have 4 to 5 very serious builders that will stay rather than have 10 people say that they are going to do this and only 2 remain.
As far as advertising group builds, I can send out a "Mass Email" to our 11,000 members and list the possible candidates for projects and see how that goes. As a sidebar to address Don Farr and some others, I know that @Mike41 prototyped the Ontario Cross Section, but I have not heard more from him if he wants to start that and Moderate that. Also is the "Mattew Project" that Dave Stevens and Mike41 are currently working on - again, I am not sure that its proposal as being a GB as well.
One last thing, having a new GB project, there MUST be a moderator assigned to this GB as it is (for me) nearly impossible to keep up with every aspect of the project. The Moderator of the project would have a special "banner" under their name and would be responsible for the overall aspects of the project.
So, if @tonphil1960 can not or does not desire to Moderate the GB, then someone that will participate in the GB will have to be assigned to it. Of course, let's say that @tonphil1960 would like to Moderate the group, then I will get with him to discuss a few things with him about moderating - which is not hard at all.
Personally, I love group builds and wish there were more, and more over than that, more serious about the groups and participating. (like stop abandoning your projects). But, I know all well, how life can get in the way and things happen.

Last edited:
FULLY AGREE TOBIAS, WELL SAID BETTER THEN ME. I TRIED A FEW YEARS AQGO TO BUILD THIS BUT DUE NTO AGE 82 AT THE TIME 841/2 NOW, HAND EYE BRAIN COORDINATION WAS NOT THERE, I HAD REALLY BAD TIMES DOING THE FRAMES ANDE I COULD NOT MILL PROPERLYN THEN THE KNEE COLLAPSE AND WHEEL CHAIR, NOW IN ASSISTED LIVING I HAD TO STOP WORK, SINCE THEN NI HAVE DONE THE HARBOR DREDGE AS A SEMI SCRATCH WITHY KRIS SEE MY LOG, TURNED OUT GREAT MY BEST SO FAR. SO I WOULD GLADLY FOLLOW ALONG ON THIS, AND YES TOBIASNKEEP PLUGING AT THIS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

AS TO DONNIES COMENTS AND I DO NOT MEA,N TO BE CONFRONTANAL AT ALL HOPEFULLY HELPFUL. AS TO BLANFORD I THINK THERE MAY HAVE BEEN AT LEAST 10 COMPLETIONS INCLUDING MINE. AS TO ONTARIO MY LAST REMBERENCE IS THAT MIKE41 FINISHED THE DWGS AQND PROTOTYPE AND SENT TO DONNIE FOR APPROVAL AND ACCEPTANCE. IF I REMEMBER CORECTLY FOR SOME REASON DONNIE WANTED SOMETHING ELSE, NOT SURE, WHAT OR WHY. AS TO THE MATTHEW MIKE41 OR DAVE STEVENS COULD BE MODERATORS THERE ARE A GREAT DEAL OF BUILDS FOR THIS TIME PERIOD, BUT NO REPEAT NO POF, DAVE AND MIKE DID A FANTASTIC JOB ON RESEARCH AND MORE RESEARCH MIKES PROTOTYPE AND LOG IS ONE OF THE BEST OUT THERE I THINK DAVE STEVENS HAS DONE SOME LAZAR CUTTIN PREPARING A SEMI SCRATCH KIT HOPEFULLY READY SOON, ALSO REMEMBER THAT NOT ALL LOGS TAKE IT THROUGH TO COMPLETION EVEN THOUGH COMPLETE. JUST MY INFLATED OPION. PLEASE MORE DISCUSSION. ALSO I REALIZE THAT NOT EVERY PROJECT CAN OR SHOULD BE A GROUP BUILD, THAT IS ABOVE MY PY GRADE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

DONNIE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE HARBOR DREDGE, SEE MY LOG. KRIS WORK WAS PHONAMAL AND MET MY NEEDS PERFECTLY AS TO TIME IT IS GOING ON 2 YEARS BUT THAT IS NOT ACCURATE, AS I HAD MANY PHYSICAL PROBLEMS, IF NORMAL I THINK 10 TO 12 MOS.. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE BALL DON

DONNIE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE HARBOR DREDGE, SEE MY LOG. KRIS WORK WAS PHONAMAL AND MET MY NEEDS PERFECTLY AS TO TIME IT IS GOING ON 2 YEARS BUT THAT IS NOT ACCURATE, AS I HAD MANY PHYSICAL PROBLEMS, IF NORMAL I THINK 10 TO 12 MOS.. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE BALL DON
Le Rochefort

Where would the lumber be purchased from and how much $$$ cost?
Hi Donnie,
As far as sourcing the wood is concerned, I would say that everyone should buy it from the dealer they trust. I have two good suppliers here in Germany and can also buy in Lithuania, which in turn affects the costs, if I were to buy in the States I would have very high delivery costs and customs duties. So I think everyone should decide for themselves and I wouldn't worry about that.

I agree not everyone what’s to build plank on frame. Actually most prefer kits or at most scratch POB. I understand there will not be alot of interest for any POF scratch build. I’d be happy if a few people joined in. Doesn’t even have to be an organized group build. As long as there’s build logs all is good.
Where would the lumber be purchased from and how much $$$ cost?
I’m getting it from https://ocoochhardwoods.com/. I’m going to have to get it custom milled to MM specs as that’s what it calls for according to the plans. I have some leftover beech but it’s just a wee bit too thin. Not a lot of lumber is needed for this project at all and the entire ship will be one species of wood.

Hi Donnie,
As far as sourcing the wood is concerned, I would say that everyone should buy it from the dealer they trust. I have two good suppliers here in Germany and can also buy in Lithuania, which in turn affects the costs, if I were to buy in the States I would have very high delivery costs and customs duties. So I think everyone should decide for themselves and I wouldn't worry about that.
Yes indeed

Hello everyone,

The idea of a group build is very appealing to me. I am just now gathering information and knowledge for my first scratch build. The support would greatly improve the possibility of completing the build. The one component of a scratch build I am having trouble with is how to determine how much wood is needed in the construction of the ship. Would something like a list of necessary wood be developed as part of the group build. This would be of great interest to me. I hope this comes to fruition.

Bill

Back